Clara Lane Walmart, wouldn't sell me ammo because I wouldn't show pink card.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    I've bought ammo there before without issue and several other Wal-Marts with no problem. I open-carry a LC9 in a DeSantis belt holster. I wanted 3 boxes of Tula 7.62 and the girl they sent back said she didn't know the rules or laws for selling ammo and waited for another person. He came back and she told him she didn't know the rules and he went to explain it and she interrupted him saying she didn't care to know and wanted to go smoke. Anyway, he gets the boxes and takes them up front (it was midnight and they only had two lanes open). I put the other stuff I want to buy on the counter and she doesn't ring me up. They (the cashier and the guy that brought the ammo up) just stood there like they were waiting for God to instruct them on what to do next. Well, 'God' showed up but her name is Loretta and she is the assistant manager. She says I can't have a gun in here unless I'm a cop. She asked if I'm a cop, I said no. I told her Wal-Mart policy is to follow local laws and that I had a permit so I didn't need to be a cop. She then asked if she could see the permit, I said no. She asked why and I told her that if I went around showing that to everyone that asked that I would have to put it on a necklace. I then explained that I didn't feel comfortable showing her the permit because it had my home address on it and I didn't want just anyone knowing that. Then she went on a rant about how she has to protect all the unarmed people in the store and had to know if I was licensed. I explained that if she would show me her driver's license, I would show her my permit. She gave me a blank stare so I took that as a no. I told her I no more wanted her to know my address then she wanted me to know hers. Again she rants about how she has a duty to protect the people in the store. I explain to her that permit or not, if I intended to harm anyone, it wouldn't matter if she seen the permit. I don't think she understood that. She then told me that I should look at it from her point-of-view. What was she to think about someone carrying a gun and buying ammo. I told her that the gun was loaded and the ammo I was buying won't fit my gun and that if I wanted the ammo to cause harm that I would have simply broken the glass and taken it. So, now we are talking in circles and she says that if I won't show her the permit, she won't let me buy the ammo. So I said never-mind, I won't buy anything. I left the store. I should add that the ignorant smoker that came back first was waiting up there and watched the whole time. I don't think she wanted to smoke, I think she just ran to 'tell' on me for having a gun.

I called customer care and explained what happened. The CC rep told me the policy allowed for them to remove people that were 'not behaving' so that no one would be concerned and allowed for managers to remove people from the store that were 'offending' others by having the gun on display. I asked if it would be reasonable to 'remove' a gay couple that was holding hands just because someone took offense to it. Of course she said no. So I explained to her that it wasn't really any different that I was singled out like that. We talked a bit more and she was surprised to learn that the only reason she wouldn't sell me the ammo is because I wouldn't show my permit. She didn't seem to understand that was the only reason until I said, "If she had asked for my ID to confirm my age since ammo is age-restricted, I would have shown it to her." I explained that it seemed like Loretta had an agenda, perhaps she is anti-gun, and used her authority to prevent me from buying ammo and the question of my age never came up, which is the only restriction that should have been in question.

I don't understand why these people just don't get it. If someone has ill-intent, that ill-intent will exist rather or not you know that person legally possesses a gun. I pointed out to the CC rep that if Loretta had thought me to be a threat, that she wouldn't have confronted me and would instead call the police so that tells me she had an agenda. Maybe Loretta thinks that if she found I had the gun illegally, that I would be shamed into not killing everyone that seen me. The CC rep is putting a complaint in at the store so we'll see what comes of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    An old guy at the old Lebanon Walmart once refused to sell ammo to me because what I wanted to purchase was "too much" and "no one needs that much" and I was apparently planning to "start a war." I wanted five 100 rd boxes of 9mm (back when it was plentiful).

Then after I convinced his it wasn't illegal to buy that much ammunition, he insisted to see proof of my age. I showed him my DL, then he refused because he didn't think the signature on my license matched the signature on my credit card.

Fun.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Did you consider screaming about how ridiculous it is their pharmacy is closed and you can't get your meds for bipolar and schizophrenia too? And how now there's no way you're going to fall asleep after this absurdity without your Xanax and security bullets?

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I think you did the best you could, but ignorance is plentiful. If you want to save yourself the frustration, hand her a "No Guns, No Money" card and walk. Hope it enlightens her to what carrying a gun LEGALLY is all about.

Remember what Mark Twain said, "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Kramer
    Please keep us posted if you hear from them. My guess is they wont contact you. It amazes me the lack of ability some people have to logically process situations and make sensible conclusions. If the SHTF, she would want to be your friend...

BOTA56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Columbia City
    lol these Walmart stories crack me up. I think I work at one of the more sane Walmarts in America. Now let me ask this. You would be willing to show your ID to purchase ammo, witch has your address on it, but not show your LTCH to assure the manager of the store at the time that you were legally allowed to carry? It seems to me that you were just annoyed with the manager and wanted to go rounds with her, or vice a versa. Being a gun owner and a minion of Sam Walton, I can relate to both sides of the story. You have no idea what the manager probably had to deal with in that 5 hours before you walked through the door. Oh retail, its a stressful job.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    You would be willing to show your ID to purchase ammo, witch has your address on it, but not show your LTCH to assure the manager of the store at the time that you were legally allowed to carry? It seems to me that you were just annoyed with the manager and wanted to go rounds with her, or vice a versa. Being a gun owner and a minion of Sam Walton, I can relate to both sides of the story. You have no idea what the manager probably had to deal with in that 5 hours before you walked through the door. Oh retail, its a stressful job.

That is all irrelevant.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Kramer
    lol these Walmart stories crack me up. I think I work at one of the more sane Walmarts in America. Now let me ask this. You would be willing to show your ID to purchase ammo, witch has your address on it, but not show your LTCH to assure the manager of the store at the time that you were legally allowed to carry? It seems to me that you were just annoyed with the manager and wanted to go rounds with her, or vice a versa. Being a gun owner and a minion of Sam Walton, I can relate to both sides of the story. You have no idea what the manager probably had to deal with in that 5 hours before you walked through the door. Oh retail, its a stressful job.

The manager ( anyone selling ammo ) has the legal right to ask to see ID for age. The situation isn't about being lawful. It's about seeing his side arm and wanting to assert her "authority". If she REALLY thought he was a threat, would she approach him? I would hope she would move employees and customers to safety while waiting on law enforcement.
    If he was shooting people she would probably be praying that someone ( law abiding citizen with side arm ) like in this case, would put the evil doer down. I agree she has the right to ask anyone to leave her store, and I support her right to make those choices. In this case, she made the wrong decision and needs more training. For the record, I purchased 100 rounds of 45acp at Walmart last night. Sig on my belt, UNDER my shirt. I have friends that like to open carry, my personal preference is to not show the potential bad guy what I have.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The manager ( anyone selling ammo ) has the legal right to ask to see ID for age. The situation isn't about being lawful. It's about seeing his side arm and wanting to assert her "authority". If she REALLY thought he was a threat, would she approach him? I would hope she would move employees and customers to safety while waiting on law enforcement.
    If he was shooting people she would probably be praying that someone ( law abiding citizen with side arm ) like in this case, would put the evil doer down. I agree she has the right to ask anyone to leave her store, and I support her right to make those choices. In this case, she made the wrong decision and needs more training. For the record, I purchased 100 rounds of 45acp at Walmart last night. Sig on my belt, UNDER my shirt. I have friends that like to open carry, my personal preference is to not show the potential bad guy what I have.

Don't need ID for 7.62, or any rifle ammo. At least that's what I thought.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And of course she wasn't scared or worried. Neither is anyone approaching to say that they are. Cause if they were worried, police would be performing the interaction.

BOTA56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Columbia City
    No I do agree that if she felt a real threat that she should have called the police. Maybe a customer or a employee was concerned about the open carry and she was just trying to rectify the situation without involving police. Either way, she could have just let it go, or the op could have just flashed the pink, been done with it and had some ammo.

But, I don't wanna get to into this because people will start to think that I care about Walmart, and that I am a loyal "minion of Sam Walton" I work nights so I don't have to deal with so much "customer service" I am the guy who usually has to get your ammo out of the case though!!! Better not open carry, I might tell my manager on you! (sarcasm)

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

How does your method of carry play into this ignorant manager seahag's self righteous agenda and her need to assert her authority? The OP was well within his rights, did nothing and remained calm (according to the story).

Thanks for turning this thread into another chapter of OC vs CC

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    hand her a "No Guns, No Money" card and walk. Hope it enlightens her to what carrying a gun LEGALLY is all about.

I believe they have a file system in place

throw-out-the-trash.jpg

Top Bottom