• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Hey CDL people. I might be pursuing my class B. It's my first commercial license, I'm confident I will pass the written test, and that I can drive well enough to pass a driving test. But the pre-trip....how intense is that part? During the test can you read a list of everything you need to check or do you have to know the entire pre-trip routine by memory?

also any tips would be appreciated! :D

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Know it by memory. At least up here you generally get failed the first time unless you nail it perfectly. They've got a reputation for nitpicking so you have to pay for a second test. There's a YouTube video of someone doing a pre-trip that I used to study. I'll try and find it for you.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Hey CDL people. I might be pursuing my class B. It's my first commercial license, I'm confident I will pass the written test, and that I can drive well enough to pass a driving test. But the pre-trip....how intense is that part? During the test can you read a list of everything you need to check or do you have to know the entire pre-trip routine by memory?

also any tips would be appreciated! :D
    Memorize it and memorize it well. Then practice WITH the vehicle you are going to test on.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    When doing the driving test keep your head on a swivel... look in the drivers mirror, look at the road, look in the passengers mirror, look at the road....repete

When I took my test, the instructor told me flat out "if you look in one mirror you better look in the other"

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Like mentioned before, no cheat sheet allowed. Everything must be memorized.

Just break the truck down into different segments. Don't even try to memorize everything at once. Once you have the drivers front down with no mistakes head to under the hood. Once that's down pat move down the drivers side again, breaking it down into segments until you've made it to the drivers rear. Then onto the passenger side. Repetition is key. Hopefully you have a truck that you can study on that will be the exact same truck for the test. Not to mention your lot test with cones. Go to a parking lot and know the specs on the spacing of cones so it exactly like the pre test. Practice practice practice.

Practice the pre trip air break test a bunch too. If you fail this you won't even be allowed to put it into gear for the road test. Memorize the routine word for word from the book. I was told if I make even the slightest mistake even 1psi off, it's an immediate failure.

As far as the road test goes that's not much different from regular driving. IMO. Pay attention to breaking distances (which are way longer in a commercial vehicle), never pull up passed the white line at a stop light or sign. Absolutely never turn on a yellow. Use all mirrors. Stay off the white line and pass/don't pass lines. Don't go even 1 mph over speed limit. Always use your turn signals. The person giving you the test has drove your particular course a bunch and knows where all the tricky spots and tight squeezes are. They also will likely ask you what any signage read that you will have just passed. ESPECIALLY if it was a low clearance ahead sign. He/she will want to know the exact height the sign specifies. I was told post test that had I not known the exact maximum height of both the bridge and the dump truck he would've sent me back with an immediate failure.

Good luck, it's definitely a good license to have and keep as long as you maintain a clean driving record and stay up on your DOT physical you can and will always have a job!

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Thanks guys, my job doesn't depend on it. It's actually optional, but I would really like to have it, so it sounds like I better get studying and practicing!

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Memorize it and memorize it well. Then practice WITH the vehicle you are going to test on.

This...it took me 3 times to pass...go over it with someone and do it over and over and again. Know it it by heart and your test vehicle. The air brake part must be almost word for word. If you're getting one to drive a school bus, make sure you set the park brake AND place the bus in neutral before you open the door. Good luck!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Air brakes, speeding, hitting a curb, failing to come to a complete stop all will fail you.

When I took my test back in 2007 (I am sure it has all changed since then) you started with the pretrip outside with the front and worked your way to the back. Then you moved inside to finish the pretrip. Air brakes was next and that was the first place to make a mistake that would fail you for missing just one thing.

On the air brakes (this may have changed since I took mine) if you know you messed up, you could ask to restart - however if you said you were done and you knew you had messed up, kiss your test money good bye. And make sure to test that the brakes are set and holding before you are done. The guy I had tried to get me out of the bus without testing. He had failed someone earlier that day for not catching it.

After all the pretrip and air brakes we moved to the backing maneuvers. We had to do the straight back, alley dock, parallel park, and backwards serpentine.

Then the road test if you make it this far make sure you don't speed and pay attention to the signs. My tester would ask what sign we past - I think he asked about 3 or 4 times.
    Watch your speed, stops, rr tracks, and rear tires/curbs.

I got my cdl b the first go around. Passed all written tests the first time, it can be done, just study and repeat. Don't be afraid of the guy testing you.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    When doing the maneuvers, remember to turn your wheels so if you roll it into the curb.

I took my fist test in the late '90's then retested in '04 to get my air brakes. Both times I could use the manual on the pretrip. Had to point at what I was checking and describe it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2016
    danville
    I used to help people study at my work before taking the driving test. As mentioned, memorize the pre-trip inspection. You will not be penalized for inspecting too much. What I mean by that, is look at everything so you don't forget what they say to look at. If you pass the inspection and course, be very diligent on the driving part. Look at the signs, overhead clearances, and watch out for school zones. Come to a complete stop at all points including railroad tracks. As said, if you mess up, ask to start over. Good luck and have fun.

Top Bottom