• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historybuff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Shelby County
    If you like, check out this catalogue for a Class III auction by Cowans' in Cincinnatti on April 30th.

Here is a link to their catalogue:

4/30/2013 - Firearms and Militaria: Richard L. Wray Collection - Live Salesroom Auction - Cowan's Auctions

According to the email I received:

"Cowan's is pleased to announce the sale of the collection of firearms and militaria from the estate of Richard Wray. Wray, a Cincinnati, Ohio native and former president of The Wray Electric Company, had been a collector of firearms for over 50 years.

Included in this collection are close to 200 firearms, featuring over 90 rare, fresh-to-the-market, Class III weapons. There are no dealer samples and everything is fully transferable in accordance with NFA laws."

Some nice historical machine guns are listed.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yes, you will need to transfer to an Indiana NFA dealer and then do a transfer to yourself.

Because it's coming from the estate of an individual, it wouldn't surprise me if you actually have to do two $200 tax stamps, unless there is some sort of exemption for estate sales.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    AFAIK, anything across state lines is a two stamper....one to transfer to your local dealer, and another to transfer to the individual.

**EDIT** It looks like many are C&R. How's that play into everything if you have your C&R FFL?

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    right AFTER you get your transfer approved... meaning the NFA tax stamp first. perhaps I was misunderstanding the question I was answering.

1 transfer not 2. You seemed to be implying that there would be 2 transfers on a C&R NFA item to a C&R FFL holder.

Last edited:

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    What an amazing collection. Mr Wray was obviously a very lucky man. We should all thank him for being such a fantastic caretaker of all those fantastic pieces of history. I would give my left leg, metaphorically of course :) for that M1 Thompson. Simply Fantastic!!!

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    I was lucky enough to be set free with this collection today. It was absolutely amazing. Many of the guns were the finest I have ever seen of the type. I will never be in a room with such a wondeful collection again.The auction house has a hard bound book of all the auction items available for $75. Apparently Mr. Wray had over 600 MG's at one time, and these are the last he kept ahold of. There will be more in the fall.

kabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    Y'all ain't kidding about some of the ridiculous prices. I mean, $31k+ for an M16??

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Well the auction is over, and it was intense. Prices on some items were so high they made no sense. My personal WTF favorite is the integrally suppressed 10/22 for over $2000. Check out the prices http://http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/catalog.aspx?SaleId=309
    Total for all NFA items over 1.85 million

There were indeed some oddball prices like the MP40 at over $40K and the M1A1 thompson over $30K. On the other hand the 10/22 you referred to wasn't just a suppressed 10/22. It was a gun built by Military Armaments Corp back in the early 80's as a sentry or sentry dog removal gun. There were a number of them sold to the military and police. There were some sold to animal control units across the country too. They have some history and are collectable. Noise levels are not nearly as low as some of the new screw on cans for regular rifles but they do have some value to collectors.

Frank

Top Bottom