• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    So I want to travel with an SBR. My understanding is a form 20. Do you guys mail, fax or email it....and how does it come back to you if faxed or emailed ? Anyone have a recent time frame experience? I have read that people who submit the form 20.... and the ATF will possibly accept the date for a "year" in the event you might visit the same place you are going several times in a year...can anyone confirm this?

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I filled my form out electronically, fillable PDF, printed it out, signed it in ink, then faxed to the ATF at the number on the form. I got a paper copy of that same form back with their signature on the bottom. It took about 2.5 weeks from faxing it to getting the paper copy back. This was about a month ago.
    Alan

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Suppressors do not technically, but I fill one out for mine, just in case. I fill one out for the SBR anyway, so it isn't like there's any more work to it.

And yes, it doesn't matter how close the "home address" is to a different state, if you want to cross the border, you need to fill it out.

I actually email mine in, and this year, the turnaround time was very quick. Like, a couple of weeks. The year before, it was a couple months. They return signed hard copies by mail.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Suppressors do not technically, but I fill one out for mine, just in case. I fill one out for the SBR anyway, so it isn't like there's any more work to it.

And yes, it doesn't matter how close the "home address" is to a different state, if you want to cross the border, you need to fill it out.

I actually email mine in, and this year, the turnaround time was very quick. Like, a couple of weeks. The year before, it was a couple months. They return signed hard copies by mail.
    Good to know, I didn't know there was a distinction for cans. Thanks.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Good to know, I didn't know there was a distinction for cans. Thanks.

Frankly, I think it is was a drafting error.

Under 922(a)(4) you need the permission slip to travel with a destructive device, machine gun, SBS or SBR. The Form 20 instructions contain that same list.

Under 921(a)(3), a "silencer" is contained within the definition of "firearm," which itself is more than a little counterintuitive. But the Form 20 language (both statutory and on the form) is more specific.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom