• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gibby101

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Liberty
    what are the requirements and or cost or how do you even get a class three permit / license. if anyone could help me out it would much appreciated thanks

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Also, there is an extremely detailed FAQ on this subject. You can find the link in my sig.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    While you need to check the FAQ's, a short answer is:
    0: Typically most Joe Citizen can purchase a Tittle II firearm (i.e. machinegun, short barreled rifle, suppressor, some destructive devices or AOWs in Indiana) by use of a BATFE Form 4, with no other "Class 3" permit needed/required (i.e. the Form 4 is the paper work for non dealers).
    1: You find a Tittle II item you wish to purchase that is for sale in your state. If you are buying out of state, need to first have sent to an instate FFL/SOT.
    2: You make the deal to purchase the item from the seller (in this deal work out what happens if YOUR gun can not be transferred to you if you local CLEO does not sign).
    3: You and the seller fill out two copies of a Form 4 for said item.
    4: You have the local chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) sign off (this is the hard part in some areas).
    5: Have two sets of finger prints made on the BATFE correct cards
    6: The two signed Form 4 with your photo, the finger print cards, a check for $200 (or $5 for an AOW) and a form that states you are a US citizen is mailed off (typically by the seller).
    7: Wait
    8: Wait longer ;-)
    9: After four months more or less, one Form 4 is sent back to the seller (who makes a copy for his record) and he gives you the Tittle II item with the original copy of the Form 4.
    10: You then make several copies of the original Form 4 and place a copy and the original Form 4 in a very safe place (bank lock box, fire proof safe etc.) and ALWAYS keep a copy of the Form 4 with the Tittle II item.
    11: Lastly you need to always keep control of the Tittle II item, NEVER loan it to anyone with out you present and it is best locked up when you are not around.
    12: Repeat everything for the next purchase (their is always a next purchase ;-)

Note if you are making a SBR (one can no longer make machineguns ;-(, then one would go with a Form 1 and need to follow marking requirements.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom