• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I want to learn how to fit parts/build gun from bottom up. Does anyone know where in the Ft. Wayne area one can acquire the necessary skills for this? This would be for 1911 only (for now).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Nowhere in the Fort that I know of. Unless Jerry will let you work on one in his shop under his supervision. He is a lot closer to Churubusco though. And I certainly don't speak for him.

I am self taught with a Kuhnhausen book and trial and error. Not too much error, thank goodness. It really isn't difficult.

Get the book.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    You need to talk to someone who is a machinist. Not someone who loads parts into a CNC, but someone who understands how to make mating parts fits precisely with a flat file or reamer sometimes. It typically takes years & making lots of scrap before you get to the level that I think you're talking about.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not all machinists are created equal, some top notch folks are too specialized (from job or environment).

Know some bad arse tool and die guys, who I wouldn't let touch my guns.

They (from my limited exp) tend to jump to a conclusion and want to remove metal right off the bat, without fully experimenting and identifying the problem. Scary.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    But they a lot better equipped to do this type work than someone who loads & unloads parts from a CNC.
    Not all machinists are created equal, some top notch folks are too specialized (from job or environment).

Know some bad arse tool and die guys, who I wouldn't let touch my guns.

They (from my limited exp) tend to jump to a conclusion and want to remove metal right off the bat, without fully experimenting and identifying the problem. Scary.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I attended a 1911 armorer class and was hugely disappointed. You can learn the same amount of info from watching videos of assembly and dis-assembly on you tube.

But, when you watch the videos, pause them. Go slow. Look at all the parts diagrams and take the time to figure out how all of the parts interact with one another.

Aside from the armorers class, which I took very little away from, I am self taught. I am not going to say that I am "highly skilled" by any means but, I can do just about anything you would want done to a 1911 and could easily "build" one.

It is not a complicated weapon. It just takes a huge AMOUNT OF PATIENCE. One swipe of the file can literally make or break the fit. The very first thing you need to know is that you must have the patience to:

Check fit.
    Modify.
    Check fit.
    Modify.
    Check fit.
    Modify.

That process can take several hours for just one piece. If you do not have that kind of patience, building a 1911 is not for you.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I attended a 1911 armorer class and was hugely disappointed. You can learn the same amount of info from watching videos of assembly and dis-assembly on you tube.
    I've disassembling and assembling 1911s for a very long time (well over a decade). I'm looking to go to the next level, which is building them from scratch, and that's a whole other thing. It sounds like an armorer's class is not going to be worthwhile.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I've disassembling and assembling 1911s for a very long time (well over a decade). I'm looking to go to the next level, which is building them from scratch, and that's a whole other thing. It sounds like an armorer's class is not going to be worthwhile.

It's really not.

If you have that much experience with 1911's, I'm sure you now how to parts work together. As long as you have an understanding of that, it should be a fairly easy transition. Talk to some people, use the internet but, take everything with a grain of salt. Decide what parts you want to use, buy a frame and slide, fit them, and decide what internals you want. As long as you know what needs to be done, and have faith in yourself, it should turn out decent. I would definitely recommend not spending a whole lot of money and building your dream 1911 first. Use some cheaper parts and do a practice one or two. Worst case scenario, you may be able to sell them and recoup some of your money. :twocents:

**Jigs are also very worthwhile. Installing a beaver tail grip safety can be a giant pain the in butt. It's not that much more difficult than the other parts but, it's one that's on the outside of the pistol. If you make a mistake, it's out in the open for all to see. It's like added pressure. I broke down and bought a jig and WOW. It took less than half the time it took without one. I still had to take the jig off, mark the frame, and spend a good deal of time getting it "just right" but, it helped a lot!**

archy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Oaktown/Vincennes ar
    It's not in the Ft Wayne area, but Long Mountain offers numerous top-shelf armourers courses, including a couple for handguns [P7 and Glock] I was kind of surprised they didn't have anything for the M1911, but by all means, drop them an e-mail and ask: they have several offerings, particularly for things that go BOOM as much as bangf, that aren't listed.

BTW, you'll have some interesting fellow students, including *DOD "civiliams" and Department of Energy nuclear power plant and weapons facility guards, in your classes. One guy in one of the courses I attended was a longhair hippie trucker...from a former Army stockade facility in North Carolina.

Machine Gun Operator's Classes - Long Mountain Outfitters

AK & PKM Operator/Armorer Class
    Browning Machine Gun Class
    Foreign Weapon Operator/Armorer Class
    M134 "Minigun" Operator/Armorer Class
    M16/M4/AR15 Armorer Class
    M203 Operator/Armorer Class
    M240/M249 Combined Operator/Armorer Class
    M2HB/M3 Operator/Armorer Class
    M60 Machine Gun Armorer Class
    Maxim-Vickers-Lewis Class
    Silencer History, Technology, and Testing