• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    I get a kick out of some of the prices , Glock 42 $550.00 , i paid $399.00 ..... some people can't get the deals others can and either they pay too much for there items in question or truly think they are worth the inflated price. Who knows

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It would be nice to have a panel of mods, to judge the fair price of items being sold, to kick off the outrageous gouger pricing.

Whaaaat??? As has been said repeatedly, nobody is forcing you to pay those ridiculous prices. And who is to say that the price that the mods agree upon is "the" fair price (high or low)? Any item that is for sale is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it... :dunno:

Besides, what if all the mods on the panel were Glock fanboys that decided that all 1911s are only worth $175? :):

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Whaaaat??? As has been said repeatedly, nobody is forcing you to pay those ridiculous prices. And who is to say that the price that the mods agree upon is "the" fair price (high or low)? Any item that is for sale is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it... :dunno:
    I know that. Just trying to help out the noobs. It is just not fair for someone to take that kind of an advantage on someone just because they are new to guns and don't know any better. What if it was your son or daughter about to buy a $1200 dollar gun that was only really worth $600 hundred?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know that. Just trying to help out the noobs. It is just not fair for someone to take that kind of an advantage on someone just because they are new to guns and don't know any better. What if it was your son or daughter about to buy a $1200 dollar gun that was only really worth $600 hundred?
    Well, they've got 50 posts to come across threads like this to warn them before they can buy anything here so... And, (if I had kids) hopefully they would come to dear ol' dad for advice.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    As much as I like helping people out, there is some responsibility to do some research before you up and buy something, regardless whether it's a gun, computer, TV or whatever...

Plus, the forums can be used as a sounding board to find out if something is worth the asking price (as is Google)...lol!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's not worth the energy to rant about classifieds. People will ask whatever they think it's worth to them and if it's fair to someone else, it will sell. If I see something that's way over what I think it is worth, I simply move on. Sure, your Saiga may be worth $1800 to you, but if it is not worth that to me, I'm not going to holler and carry on because you have the gall to disagree with what I feel is a correct price. If you have something I really want and the price is higher than I want to pay, I can either pay it because I really want that or I can wait until I find one that is priced at what I am willing to pay.

I've toyed with putting my entire collection up for sale at 1.5 times the going rate before. My thought is that I don't want to sell any of them, but if someone really wants one of them bad enough to pay me enough to make selling it worth my time, that's what it would take to move me to sell. Then I remembered that I really don't want to sell anything anyway and dropped the idea. I'm guessing many of the bloated prices may be that thought in action. It's not a priced based on what the market will deliver, but a price based on what will make me deliver that gun to a different owner.

It's all about what value you place on what you are selling vs. what value a buyer might place on what they want to buy. When the buyer's expectations are in sync with the seller's expectations, then a sale happens. When they don't sync, a sale does not happen.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Most of life's lessons come with a price tag.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    On another hand, there seems to be a thing for people to haggle. People LOVE haggling. I hate it. Here's the price I'll pay, if I don't find it, then I either need to save up, change venue or change the product choice I have in mind. Easy peasy, right? No so for most folks in our community. Alot of them, not all, are easily angered, foolish with money and undecided in their life path. Their goal in life is squeezing the most they can. Problem is, they try to squeeze an orange peel and wonder why they obtain no juice.

They don't know how to haggle. They think in simplistic and over generalized terms of "buy low or sell high". $400 gun, they want it for $300 (unrealistic) so they offer $200, thinking the poor guy is just like them: Poor, probably uneducated about firearms and values. Then they wonder why the seller doesn't respond. Hmm, could it be that your offer was potentially insulting? Same with selling:
    I want to sell a $400, I want $450-500, so I price it $600, hoping someone will want to pay the marginal amount higher and that I might be able to dicker them to $450-500. Then no one responds, or worse, the $200 guy comes around. It's a huge game to folks.

People are always looking for that "deal of a century". I could offer a Glock 42 for a buck and someone would ask if I would take .25 cents for it. They have this drive to buy low. Sell high? Maybe not. Alot of folks just want to get a Glock, plus still have enough for a box of ball and pick up a six pack on the way home for 4 bills.

Oh, and with the angry types, it's becoming VERY touchy to decline even a lowball offer. Folks will take your phone number or email address and run amok. "How dare you not sell your $600 AR to me for $300!!! I'll show you!!" Too many angry hilljacks with internet connections thinking they are completely immune.

The panics brought out the worst in our community. Used to be about the shooting. Now it's all about the money, either pinching pennies buying or making hundreds selling. The panics made it a sport of "everthing has a price, the one I set and demand from the seller". Combine that with the ignorance of the market, inflation, etc... Sorry, Norinco 1911s are about a $400-500 pistol now, not the $200 of 10 years ago, but neither is the market willing to bear a $600 one b/c the panic buying is over and the market is flooded.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    to me it's enjoyable to ridicule the stupid posts...i dont like the idea of price police as posed..i think we should be able to chastise them for being ridiculous

I see so many 2010 join date with 55 posts putting idiotic priced crap in the classifieds.....again....humor

suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    You mean a 399 dollar G42 is not worth 550. Some seller on Armslist just now told everyone it was.

Apparently they are. I have been thinking about picking one up myself, but I don't "need" it, and I'm not willing to pay more than I feel it's worth in order to have it NOW. Some people, on the other hand, are willing to spend more to satisfy their need for instant gratification. I have been watching auctions on gunbroker.com and have seen several G42's sell for more than $600 that were listed starting at $1 with no reserve. Here is just one example; Glock 42 .380 N.I.B. No reserve! : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

I can't really fault people for catering to the demand. I don't have to like it, but I also don't have to buy. One shop in town, selling at a reasonable price, has a waiting list almost 30 deep as of Saturday while another has two in stock with a sticker price of $569. He is not willing to negotiate because he has sold several at the inflated price...that's his right. It doesn't make we want to frequent his shop in the future...that's my right.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I've been flamed too many times by the moderators for telling a seller they are over priced. Thank you, mods, for not shutting down this thread.

I buy the new edition blue book of modern gun values every time it is published, I don't buy from the classifieds. Simply because I know what a gun is worth from poor to (like new in the box.)

Just because an individual was screwed badly during the great gun sell out, doesn't mean he can't try to find some one just as dumb as he was to get back his money.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been flamed too many times by the moderators for telling a seller they are over priced. Thank you, mods, for not shutting down this thread.

I buy the new edition blue book of modern gun values every time it is published, I don't buy from the classifieds. Simply because I know what a gun is worth from poor to (like new in the box.)

Just because an individual was screwed badly during the great gun sell out, doesn't mean he can't try to find some one just as dumb as he was to get back his money.

I've never told anyone their price was too high, but boy I've wanted to. And not even really to berate them for it, but maybe just to suggest that that gun they've had at the same price for 6 months and keep bumping might, just might be priced too high if they really want to sell it. I'm helpful like that. :D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yes, I know...... if you don't like the prices don't pay...... Yeah, I don't care.

The classifieds have become another arms list. It's a freaking joke any more. The "deals" are very few and far between.

The gougers and spammers attacked the classifieds area like roaches. The result is what you see today.
    Ever wonder why country clubs have membership requirements? Keeps out the riff-raff.
    People spoke up against the rampant abuse (I know I did) but it didn't do any good.

Oh well, no crying over spilt milk now......... a bunch of you made your bed........ here is a musical tribute long distance dedication going out to all of you, with love, from printcraft.

[video=youtube;i28UEoLXVFQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ&feature=kp[/video]

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I really love threads like these :

If you notice and complain that 22,748 people have seen your add and no one has made an offer ......WAIT FOR IT ......

The PRICE is way to HIGH!!!

I can hear it now ......butit'swhutIgotinnit-an-I aint givvinn it away.

If you're trying to sell it .......SELL IT

If you,re pidgin poaching , some place else might be better or you just might get butthurt by threads like this one .

(feelers ........really ?? )

If you THINK INGO members are talking smack about the barrage of B.S. adds that have shown up and it OFFENDS you --change the price or remove the add .

Problem solved .:twocents:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    what also bothers me is how people criticize people for coming her for the classifieds....thats why i came here and that was the main reason some guy at gander mountain referred me...that is also the main reason i refer people here....i mean..how many times can you have the "what gun should i buy?" thread or the "glock vs xd" or "did you fill up your bathtub for water when the shtf" or my "ak is better than ar" or " i cant believe i got kicked out of denny's for open carrying my m1 garand" or "380 sucks" or "i wouldnt have a 9mm because it wont stop" or the "45 acp makes people evaporate when they are hit especially when shot from a 1911" or "look at this newsmax article backed up by prison planet that says the govt is gonna take your guns fellas"...well i am GUN OWNER in INDIANA and the classified perpetuates that and tons of transactions later...i will say i am happy to say I am here mostly for the classifieds...sue me...

Top Bottom