• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is mostly for our past and present students who have completed our classes that have significant classroom lecture components (Pistol Basics 1, DP101, DR101, the long version of the low light classes, etc). However, anyone with an opinion is welcome to join the conversation!

How do you feel about the lecture portion of our classes in terms of what was presented and how it was presented during the lectures?

Was enough time and detail spent on the topics? Too much?

Do some of our other classes that are exclusively range time need a little talk in the classroom at the start as well?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Honestly, lovemachine has had no complaints on how the classes, range time vs lecture time, is formatted.

In all the classes I've been, the material was explained very well, with plenty of time to ask questions. And at the end of each class, I like the time that's spent discussing the training as well.

I'm my opinion, I wouldn't change anything. For me, it works great.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    IMO "too little/too much" is very dependent on the focus of the specific course and the student sitting in the chair. 60% lecture time in an advanced-level course may bore students, while 10% lecture time in a beginner class may not be enough to not mentally fry a newbie with jumping right to the shooting. In other words, I think there is a balance to be struck (I know, not very helpful to your specific questions).

In DP201 Low-Light I thought the lecture portion was appropriate to the focus of the class. We were given a basis for what we'd be learning on the range and shown various techniques indoors in the warm and light.

You might want to play around with not only how much lecture time you have, but also where it's placed within the course. That can make a difference too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Honestly, lovemachine has had no complaints on how the classes, range time vs lecture time, is formatted.

In all the classes I've been, the material was explained very well, with plenty of time to ask questions. And at the end of each class, I like the time that's spent discussing the training as well.

I'm my opinion, I wouldn't change anything. For me, it works great.

Thank you, sir! That's good to hear. Sometimes I am concerned about the overlap in the DP101/DR101 lecture, but then I realize it's important enough stuff to review for those who have the other class previously.

IMO "too little/too much" is very dependent on the focus of the specific course and the student sitting in the chair. 60% lecture time in an advanced-level course may bore students, while 10% lecture time in a beginner class may not be enough to not mentally fry a newbie with jumping right to the shooting. In other words, I think there is a balance to be struck (I know, not very helpful to your specific questions).

In DP201 Low-Light I thought the lecture portion was appropriate to the focus of the class. We were given a basis for what we'd be learning on the range and shown various techniques indoors in the warm and light.

You might want to play around with not only how much lecture time you have, but also where it's placed within the course. That can make a difference too.

Thanks for the input, sir! We often vary when we gather the crew together during the "all range time" classes based on how the class is progressing or if something happens that makes it a "teachable moment." One of the most common is when someone has a double feed or some other malfunction and we move that part of the lesson to take advantage of being able to see what it looks like.

When we did the full 8 hour low light, about 2 hours was lecture, then we spend some time indoors with some wall sections moving around and seeing how the lights worked before we hit the range. That had an upside, but I think the briefer lecture with the short version works a little better, especially since it goes into the night.

Top Bottom