• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I had the opportunity to read through a Hornady reloading manual at a local gun store. My Square Deal wont be here for another 3-4 weeks and powder, along with everything else is still pretty much non-existant so if I find it, I grab it! Any rate, while in this store I actually found small pistol primers and powder. He didnt have any Unique but he had Clay Universal, he said it will work for my 380 and 40 S&W loads. Just wondering if anyone else uses this brand.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Yes, it works well in the smaller volume cases, such as those you mentioned. May not be the best for specific high velocity loads but is usable, especially for target loads. Watch the labels, there's lots of variations: Clays, International Clays, Clay Universal, Clay Dot. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. Be sure of what you are buying and what you are loading.

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Thanks guys, heading back today for more SPP ....limit of 2 per sale so I have to go back today for another 2 boxes, at least he has them right!
    Also found a store with about 15k rounds of .22 but limit of 1 box per customer so taking 2 other guys with me,lol

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If you've been using Unique, you'll never go back after using Universal.

Been using Universal for close to 20 years and it's my go-to pistol powder. Works great in the .40S&W, and near top loads in most non-magnum pistol rounds. No.7 is my other .40 S&W powder.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have used Universal clays in pistols. It works pretty well.

Jimbo-indy is correct, Hodgdon's sells a family of "clays" powder. Be sure the one you get is the exact one in your loading book.

INTERNATIONAL CLAYS has NO pistol applications. I wrote back and forth several times for that powder. While it is a good shotgun powder for 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotshells, it is not stable in pistols.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Just started loading it myself in 45acp. Great results. I found it to be cleaner than Win 231 with higher velocities reached and still great accuracy shooting hard cast. I may be sold on it. I have some more testing to do maybe next week.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I just loaded some 9mm with Universal Clays. I had been using Titegroup, but can't find any.
    The Universal seemed to feel "gritty" when I was throwing the powder charge, but it still loaded well. After shooting 250 rounds Sunday and Today I was happy with it. Clean burning and not much smoke with a 115FMJ bullet.

Top Bottom