• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvriley315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Mooresville
    Hey guys looking for some advise and recommendations. I am looking for a clean burning powder to reload with. I shot some factory 9mm & 45 ACP today for the first time in quite awhile since I reload most all of my ammo. I noticed that the empty brass was so much cleaner and my pistols also seemed much cleaner with the facotry ammo vs. what I have been shooting with my reloads. Can anyone recommend a cleaner burning powder to reload with? I shoot mostly 9mm, 40, and 45. I have been using Unique and Titegroup mostly.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't know about titegroup, but just about anything is cleaner than Unique. I like the fastest pistol powders. Bullseye and 231 are my choice.

I don't tumble any cases before resizing, after using either of those powders.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Vihtavuori N320 and Clays are the cleanest powders I've ever shot in handguns. They are only slightly slower than Bullseye, so they are still very fast. N320 is a single base powder (Titegroup is a double base powder, for example) and it doesn't burn (temperature) as hot as some others.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been wondering about powders myself. I have picked up a lot of brass and found the RWS brass has almost no powder soot left in the cases, and some Federal brass is still brass colored insde, sometimes NO residue at all. That is a pretty effecient burn. I know that manufacturers do not use canister grade powders like we do, but I was wondering if I could get at least something similar.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I clean my weapons every time I shoot them and clean cartridge cases before I refill so I use whatever powder is the most efficient and effective and I don't worry about residue.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you are going to load close to factory specs. with a jacketed bullet, then Alliant's Power Pistol is a clean powder. If you are going to load light target loads with a lead bullet, you might want to try Alliant's American Select.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've seen this question asked a bunch and my hunch is that why reloaders don't get as clean a burn as factory ammo isn't so much the powder (though admittedly some are worse than others) as it is the load. I along with most reloaders I know will load under factory loadings so that the felt recoil is less or to get better groups or they are just lazy.

I'm loading 230g FMJ in .45ACP with Bullseye @800fps approximately. I could up the anti a bit and see if it gets cleaner, but it shoots good groups and my standard deviation is sub 10fps in a 10 shot string and I'm not giving that up.

So pick a fast powder like Bullseye or Titegroup and load it to what the factory rounds are running and they should clean up if not get to where the factory stuff is.

RE: Vhitavouri powders, I like them, they shoot well and are cleanish, but they are hard to find and pricey when you do find them.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Clean burning powder

Unique is a great powder but it is inherently dirty in most loading in a pistol. I have gravitated toward W231 and Bullseye for low power pistol loads in 45 ACP, 44 special, 38 special/357 mag, & like cartridges. Accurate #2 & #5 is not too bad either. Good shooting

Huzurabndaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Peru
    Clays is a good clean powder. I have used it for years. It is the only powder I use in my 9 and 45 now. You can also load shotgun with it which saves money by not needing so many powders.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    +1 for Clays. Standard Hodgdon Clays, not Universal or International. Clays is a very clean powder, but it also has the advantage of very low, 'un-snappy' recoil. It's a low charge powder, so it's cheap to use. It doesn't beat your hands up, or leave your gun blackened with residue.

It's by far (in my opinion), the best powder on the market for 45ACP. I've had this discussion with many 45ACP loaders, and nearly all of them have come back singing its praises.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Clays

Agree with the praises above. Have been using it since it came out and have always been happy with the results.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Minor thread drift

In 40 S&W, enough Clays to push a 135 gr head at -1000-1050 fps makes for a doll of a steel plate load. In the right gun, with Nosler or Sierra 135 JHPs, it can be <2" at 50 yds accurate, too.

mvriley315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Mooresville
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to try Clays for my next reloading session and give it a try!!!!! Captpaul, I have never heard of Solo 1000. Who makes that?

Top Bottom