• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I unholstered and unloaded my G21 tonight to clean it. Been about 3 months. Holy hell was it dirty. The bore was a mirror and no rust but the outside that is covered by my holster was a dirt magnet.

It's oiled and glossy again and my hands smell like gun oil, which is nice but just a friendly reminder. Carry guns get dirty. Take care of yours.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Haven't had this issue. I shoot my carry gun and clean it after range trips frequently enough that this never happens.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I haven't cleaned my G19 for a year and it's had 1000-2000 rounds through it.
    Might clean it on new years day.
    Glocks will run just fine clean or dirty. No worries.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I try to avoid the room where my safe sits. It seems like I can't walk by it without saying to myself, "I think I'll take out my guns and clean them". Next best thing to shoot'n em is clean'n em! ;)

Nothing beats the smell of gunpowder in the morning and CLP in the evening.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    With some people it seems to be a contest to see how long you can go without cleaning your gun. Why?? It takes 5 to 10 minutes to clean the average gun.

My guns get cleaned after the range trip unless I am going again in a few days. Or when I get near 500 rounds. As others have said, my carry peice gets clean once a month. Just cuz it will run dirty don't mean you should! I have passed on buying lots of dirty guns. Your gun is an investment. Treat it right. It will treat you right!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    With some people it seems to be a contest to see how long you can go without cleaning your gun. Why?? It takes 5 to 10 minutes to clean the average gun.

My guns get cleaned after the range trip unless I am going again in a few days. Or when I get near 500 rounds. As others have said, my carry peice gets clean once a month. Just cuz it will run dirty don't mean you should! I have passed on buying lots of dirty guns. Your gun is an investment. Treat it right. It will treat you right!

Meh. If I am crawling through mud with my gun (and yes, it happens) I'll clean it when I can. Otherwise it gets the lint blown off it every few weeks and a couple of times a year it gets a thorough cleaning because it's not a task I fundamentally enjoy and my guns don't need it to function reliably. If you enjoy cleaning your guns then great, clean them as often as you like. Otherwise, there is no real need unless it affects the functionality, which for most guns it only does long after the least picky of us go "wow, it may be time to clean this." You'd never know if a used gun you bought was cleaned weekly or cleaned for the first time before you bought it.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    So, you are carrying a handgun that you may have to one day stake your life on and you're attitude is, oh well, I'll clean it when I feel like it, get around to it, remember to do it? (Insert whatever excuse you personally use)
    Most people don't rely on their car to save their lives but this is not your car. If the car doesn't start or breaks down, normally not a life changer. Call in/show up late, jump start it, borrow one, etcetera. Relate this to any other tool in your daily life.
    If you NEED that handgun, there is no time to diagnose the reason why it won't run. Crap makes it's way into nooks and crannies. Stuff works loose, things get spilled, parts can actually just f&*@ing fall off. Seen it happen.
    It literally takes me 5 minutes to wipe down/punch a patch through the bore of my EDC every week. But that last 30 seconds is a function check and the 4 1/2 minutes prior is a visual inspection.
    Hey, to each his own, right?

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    My edc(g19) only gets cleaned maybe twice a year. I dont shoot it much. Just a couple of drops internally is all the oil my glock gets as I believe it just attracts dirt. Now my other guns...they get routinely get wiped down and cleaned after every use.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    So, you are carrying a handgun that you may have to one day stake your life on and you're attitude is, oh well, I'll clean it when I feel like it, get around to it, remember to do it? (Insert whatever excuse you personally use)
    Most people don't rely on their car to save their lives but this is not your car. If the car doesn't start or breaks down, normally not a life changer. Call in/show up late, jump start it, borrow one, etcetera. Relate this to any other tool in your daily life.
    If you NEED that handgun, there is no time to diagnose the reason why it won't run. Crap makes it's way into nooks and crannies. Stuff works loose, things get spilled, parts can actually just f&*@ing fall off. Seen it happen.
    It literally takes me 5 minutes to wipe down/punch a patch through the bore of my EDC every week. But that last 30 seconds is a function check and the 4 1/2 minutes prior is a visual inspection.
    Hey, to each his own, right?

This is a false equivalency. The types of dirt and crud that would make my Glock not function reliably (beyond burying it in a bucket of mud, and even then there's a pretty good chance it will shoot) are not the type that will get removed by the simple field stripping and cleaning that virtually everyone gives. This is true of most pistols as well. I've shot my EDCs enough to be very comfortable with the fact that it will go bang Every Single Time I pull it out, regardless of whether it was cleaned the night before, or three months previously.

Again, if it makes you happy to clean them, by all means do so. If it makes you happy to look down upon the dirty souls who don't, then there's not much that's going to stop you. Every single time this topic comes up it never fails to amaze me the people who got so worked up about whether someone else's gun is clean or not.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    guns are made to shoot right? Guns are made to be able to shoot in conditions that are not good right? Yeah sure, keep em clean thats good, but a gun can function if it gets a little dust on it. This shouldnt be a real issue on here i wouldnt think. You dont need to have it squeeky clean for it to be reliable. I believe the main competing factor, and the one glock remains set on, is reliability, and everyone wants their product to be as reliable as a glock(or better). Thats the point of a gun, to perform when you need it to, which in most cases will be never. I've had 2 pulls on the range in my life that didnt go bang, and it was the ammo, not the firearm. Neglect is one thing, a bit of dust is another.

Top Bottom