• Which cleaner/CLP?

• Total voters

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, I'm looking to get away from my Hoppe's #9 and Rem-Oil as I've heard there are better products out there... I know this subject has been beat to death everywhere, and I've narrowed it down to four products (or product lines)...

M-Pro 7 series
    Eezox
    Breakfree CLP
    WeaponShield

At the moment, I don't do any heavy shooting, and the guns being cleaned are my AR, couple Mosins, Witness Match, Sig P6, GSG 1911, 10/22 (in progress) and an 870 w/rifled slug barrel... Not sure if the specific firearms matter in product choice, so threw them in just in case...

Looking for something to take care of all of them with one product, or product family... I've read reviews of Eezox and WeaponShield that almost make me think they were created by a deity... But Breakfree and M-Pro 7 seem more established...

What say ye?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i have sweated ALL OVER my pistol at work and it has been saturated for hours. eezox is the way to go. not even a hint of rust after months of everyday wear and the slide still racks like butter.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I voted... I generally use CLP / Hoppe's. And I'll lube the slide rails in a pistol with some Rig Gun Grease.

I also tend to use a lot of Rem Oil. I have some Hoppe's gun oil, too. Heck, I also have some Slip2000.

But, in all honesty, it just doesn't matter.

Pick one & use it... Pick 16 and use them.

Or buy a quart of Mobil1 synthetic and use that.

This is like a "caliber war", OP!

-J-

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Non-chlorinated brake cleaner for a couple of bucks per can from Wal-Mart. Blow dry with compressed air, re-lube and you're ready to go.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I voted Breakfree/CLP... after using it in the Military, and for I don't know how many years here at home, I don't think I will EVER change..... YES, I STILL have some Hoppes # 9 .....

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well I stopped by the local Wally World after work and picked up some Breakfree CLP to try out.
    I'll do a normal cleaning with my Hoppe's #9 and then go back with the CLP and see what I find. Easiest way to do it right now since no one local has anything but Breakfree, Hoppes, or Pro-Shot...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Breakfree vs. Hoppe's head-to-head

Ok, had my newest Mosin out last Sunday, put 5 rounds of Brown Bear through it (hadn't cleaned it since I bought it, but it wasn't purchased surplus, no cosmoline)
    After getting home, I decided to do my own little cleaning test...

Cleaned the rifle my normal way using Hoppe's #9 on a brass brush, scrubbed 2 or 3 passes, let sit a couple minutes, ran a fresh patch through on brush, repeat with new patch. Then brass jag and patches until clean patches. Okie Dokie Smokey.

Then used the same method with Breakfree on the just-cleaned rifle, using a new brush, so as not to import schmutz from the old brush. The first patch with brush came out as dirty as the very first patch of the Hoppe's...

I might have found a new cleaner, until I get my hands on something better...

:ingo:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I voted Breakfree. I switched to it over a year ago and have been very happy with it. I still have good old Hoppe's #9 around, but the Breakfree has been my go to cleaner since I first tried it.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I've been using Hoppe's #9 for cleaning and rem oil for lube on my pistols. I'm wanting to find something else because I know there are better products out there; I'm just not sure what to switch to. I'll probably pick up some CLP but I"m not sure what to pick up for lube. Suggestions?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Do tell? Shaving cream?
    When you get one that is really carbon'd/fouled up from a day or more of abuse. Before you start cleaning, picking, or scraping of the carbon/fouling strip the weapon to its components spray liberally with Barbasol Shaving Cream. Let set for 5-10 minutes. Rinse with water. Watch in amazement as magic happens. Then oil as normal then...

I have never tried any other brands of shaving cream to see if they work as well...

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Since I retired from the USMC I have tried every chemical used in gun care I could get my hands on. Its become a hobby and I have two large boxes full of stuff I have tried. IMHO CLP's do not work well as a all in one solution. They usually do one thing well and not much else. I have a ton of experience with Breakfree, which is a good product. If I would settle for a CLP it would be Breakfree.

However to clean I recommend the Bore Tech Inc line of cleaners:

Welcome to Bore Tech Inc

I have seen the best results with these over the many many other products I have experimented with.

For lube and preserve from your list I would use WeaponShield. The only thing I dont like is Eezox. Just my experience, take my advice for what its worth.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I really like FrogLube http://bit.ly/IlnnOj

There are liquid and paste versions. When you just want something lubricated and don't want it to drip everywhere, the paste is great. Also, it has a minty smell (kind of like Icy Hot) and is non-toxic. It makes cleaning generally a lot less unpleasant.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    AR: Breakfree CLP, boresnake paper towels, patience.
    10/22: Breakfree CLP, boresnake paper towels
    Glocks: Once every three months I'll clean out the barrel with CLP and paper towels, and wipe down the breechface. Wipe off any burnt power elsewhere on the gun with a dry paper towel if it's really grimy then use a little bit of break cleaner to loosen it up without making any part of the gun "wet"

Top Bottom