• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Anyone else find it just as fun to take apart, and or clean guns as much it is to shoot them? I'm more mechanically oriented, so I love stripping them down and giving them some love!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I used to enjoy cleaning guns, but anymore not so much. Depending on the gun I don't clean it after every use anyhow... Especially rifles.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anyone else find it just as fun to take apart, and or clean guns as much it is to shoot them? I'm more mechanically oriented, so I love stripping them down and giving them some love!

I'm right there with you. I find it very cathartic to clean my guns.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    cleaning less so than just taking apart and putting back together. I'm the same way about cars. First thing I want to do whenever I get anything is take it apart to see how it works, how they made it work, how it differs (or not) from other manufacturers, and most importantly, how can I improve it/make it more suitable for me.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    My hand guns I clean after every use my rifles no unless I don't plan to shoot them anymore. I have found that in a rifle the barrel needs to be a little dirty to shoot better. Now my Mosin Nagants I clean after every use. This guns use corrosive ammo and will do damage to the barrel if not cleaned. This is just my opinion.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Lost that allure a lot time ago. I'll clean them when they stop working or when they just look like dayum.

I know what they look like inside, all the curiosity was lost a while ago, what curiosity is left is seeing how durable and dependable they are and when they stop running right, then the curiosity arrizes

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    When I am in the mood, I do enjoy cleaning them and detailing them, I no longer do it after every range trip, actually haven't for years. You can over clean them by constantly taking apart and re-assembling them.
    I learned to do this in the Marine Corps. Then much later in life realized they have a much larger budget than I do, and trained armorers to repair and replace them. When I was in I had an M16A1, that was really "loose" from the constant full auto fire and the constant cleaning.

I now have my guns in a rotation of range trips, I will take the same 4 or 5 guns to the range for several range trips, before picking the next set to take, yes I have a decent sized collection.
    Once the one set comes out of rotation, I thoroughly clean and properly oil/lube, yes some require grease as well as oil.
    For me it allows me to really get to know my weapons as opposed to just one or two trips to the range. Lately I have been taking my Glock 31 chambered in .357sig and I am now on the fence with selling it.
    Sometimes I have to really shoot them a few times and decide if I really want to keep it/them. So for me my one and only Glock could be on the chopping block.

Sorry didn't mean to get off track. I do enjoy the smell of the cleaners and oils as well.
    Carry on and enjoy your firearms.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I used to love to clean and shine my weapons all up.
    Now, I guess I could compare it to getting my driver's license as a kid. I wanted to drive all the time just for the thrill of it.

TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    When I am in the mood, I do enjoy cleaning them and detailing them, I no longer do it after every range trip, actually haven't for years. You can over clean them by constantly taking apart and re-assembling them.
    I learned to do this in the Marine Corps. Then much later in life realized they have a much larger budget than I do, and trained armorers to repair and replace them. When I was in I had an M16A1, that was really "loose" from the constant full auto fire and the constant cleaning.

I now have my guns in a rotation of range trips, I will take the same 4 or 5 guns to the range for several range trips, before picking the next set to take, yes I have a decent sized collection.
    Once the one set comes out of rotation, I thoroughly clean and properly oil/lube, yes some require grease as well as oil.
    For me it allows me to really get to know my weapons as opposed to just one or two trips to the range. Lately I have been taking my Glock 31 chambered in .357sig and I am now on the fence with selling it.
    Sometimes I have to really shoot them a few times and decide if I really want to keep it/them. So for me my one and only Glock could be on the chopping block.

Sorry didn't mean to get off track. I do enjoy the smell of the cleaners and oils as well.
    Carry on and enjoy your firearms.

I do undertsand where you're coming from, but I don't clean them *everytime* just enjoy cleaning them and making them look nice:)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    After I buy a new gun the first thing I enjoy doing is taking it apart, inspecting it and cleaning everything. After that the thrill is usually gone for me. I really don't mind doing handguns at all, but cleaning the rifles isn't as enjoyable. I have a somewhat small workbench that needs to be cleared off completely before working on long guns, and even then it's still a little crowded. With handguns I can just pull up a stool and start disassembling. If I had more work space I probably wouldn't feel as apathetic about doing the long guns.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    For me it's a task that has to be dun. When I first get a weapon it's fun to take it apart and see how it works. After that it's no longer fun and just something that needs to be dun after shooting it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The smell of Hoppe's #9 is a subtle reminder that I just had some fun at the range.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I absolutely love that aroma. It in itself is therapeutic. Toss in a beer and it's just about perfect. (Mrs. Bigtanker doesn't like the smell so she usually disappears for a while when I break it out.)

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am of mixed mind here. It is certainly a crazy wonderful feeling to have a freshly cleaned and lubed gun. It just exudes confidence when it is sitting in your hand. But... it is getting harder and harder to find the time to get around to cleaning, and when I do, it is taking me longer and longer now as I collect more guns. I am a baby when it comes to weapon numbers compared to most of you folks (I have 2 pistols and 2 AR-15's now), but it still takes a fair amount of time with that load. Once I am finally sitting down and getting to it, I do really enjoy it, but as I mentioned, the real joy comes when I am all done and the weapons are bright and shiny and ready for action.

Top Bottom