• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I just bought a ANIB pistol (Beretta 92FS) and haven't fired it yet. When I bought this pistol, although the outside looked brand new, it was apparent that it had been shot a little. After checking the pistol to make sure that it was unloaded, I disassembled it. BTW, the Beretta is sooooo easy to field strip for cleaning. It looks like it had been fired right out of the box before the barrel had been cleaned. This left a lot of crud imbedded in the bore. After a lot of Hoppe's Elite, clean patches, a little JB Bore Compound, a lot of Kroil, more Hoppe's Elite, a fairly new bronze bore brush and more clean patches, the bore is pretty clean now. I also cleaned the grease (who thought of putting grease on semi-auto pistol rails?) off and oiled the gun with FP-10. The action now operates smoothly and the trigger is noticeably smoother as well.

I always clean a new gun, even one new from the factory. It gives me the peace of mind that there aren't some small metal filings somewhere. Cleaning the bore properly seems to make it foul less and make subsequent cleaning easier. Oh, I always have to check for pieces of the bore brushes. It looks like they don't make them like they used to and small pieces can break off and get in places that they shouldn't be. This could really be a concern for a gun that you keep for self-defense.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I always clean a new gun before I fire it. They pack them with so much grease from the factory. Plus I like to field strip it and inspect everything before I fire it.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Yep, I always clean new guns before taking them to the range. Heck I clean almost all my guns before going to the range, old or new. Maybe I'm just weird.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    For the rust prevention, right? :D

We washed M16s before turning them in at the end of basic training with hot water and shaving cream. They did that every cycle and there was not one spot of visible rust on them--of course, I couldn't say that for the lower receiver parts which we did not dissassemble.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Yep, I always clean new guns before taking them to the range. Heck I clean almost all my guns before going to the range, old or new. Maybe I'm just weird.
    Probably a good safety precaution. You never know what might have crawled into the barrel and built a nest or died since your last range session.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I always clean a new gun before I fire it. They pack them with so much grease from the factory. Plus I like to field strip it and inspect everything before I fire it.
    I guess that I'm from the same school of thought. After checking them to make sure that they are unloaded. I like to take my guns apart and check them out before the first range session. I suppose it makes me feel more prepared. I also dry-fire and actuate the safeties, while pointing them in a safe direction.

Sorry, but after reading a recent post regarding an accidental firearms discharge in a home, I feel compelled to stress firearms safety in my posts.

LEADHEAD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    SHELBYVILLE
    Thanks! Thats a great idea "blow dryer" since I have a perfect head and don't need the hair cover I don't own one. That sounds faster than hanging them on the clothes line. :D

Top Bottom