• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Hey everyone, I acquired an older gun and want to clean the stock without damaging it. What is the proper way go about this? The wood is very dark, I don't know if it is cause the stain is dark or the wood is dirty. My googlefu shows hundreds of ways, I want the least invasive with the best results. Anyway thanks foe all the advise.

thanks,
    bob

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    For cleaning old military stocks that are soaked in oil/grease/cosmoline, I've always used Easy-Off oven cleaner without a single mishap. I'll break the weapon down until no metal remains on the wood, then take it outdoors and spray on a light coat of Easy-Off. After sitting a few minutes, wipe off the resulting sludge with paper towels and dispose of properly. After several rounds of this, that old stock will look like a brand new one, fresh off the router. As an added bonus, this process also seems to raise minor dents.

On the down side, Easy-Off is caustic. It will attack metal and skin but is quite manageable using only reasonable safety measures. Work outdoors, wear rubber gloves, and make sure not to get any on your weapon's metal. I've done this probably hundreds of times over the years without incident. Great results every time!

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    A book I have on gun collecting recommends room temperature water with dish soap like Dawn (two drops per gallon). If you have hard water spring for a bottle of distilled. Don't soak the wood...just gently wash the outside with a clean damp cloth. You don't want the wood soaking in the mixture. "As long as you don't overdo it. and dry the wood immediately with a clean cloth, monst wooden gun stocks and grips will react well to this treatment, as will most finishes".

Some folks do a final cleaning with mineral spirits which cleans a bit deeper and helps evaporate any remaining water. If done in moderation it is safe in many situations. Be careful with alcohol and acetone, or anything that evaporates quickly on wood. The stock can crack. You can also strip off the original finish. If you have to use something, mineral spirits is usually the safest option.

If you are looking to remove the shellac on something like a Mosin-Nagant, denatured alchohol is recommended.

I have never tried any of these methods but have read it from what appears to be a very knowledgeable book on collecting.

AR50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    southside
    I would suggest if you are willing.... To strip the wood using citrusstrip, once that's removed use a neutralizer then lightly sand if needed, restrain and put about 13 coats of true oil and wet sand about every 3-4 coats.

Top Bottom