Cleaning rust off of a stainless steel gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heya,

I take pretty good care of my guns, clean and oil regular enough, but noticed my PPK has some brownish spots popping up. I can't "feel" them, so they must be pretty new and very surface level?

Any good ways to clean these that won't damage the gun? I was thinking some #0000 steel wool for the brushed part on top would be fine, but I'm afraid of damaging the polished part below. 20230416_194542.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A light oil and some 0000 steel wool (or 00000 if such an animal exists). Or something nylon that's even less abrasive.

Then keep it protected. And don't store it in a foam case nor a leather holster. Control the humidity where it's stored.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    By the looks of it I would think using steel wool is unnecessary. 0000 steel wool is equivalent to like 400grit sandpaper, so you’ll probably see it on polished areas especially. Does wiping with a CLP cleaner or simply mineral oil not remove it? Beyond that Flitz or a cleaner wax will clean and polish, they’re ultra-light to non-abrasive.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    On stainless, I'd probably start with something like Flitz and a soft cloth with little pressure. Then move to a CLP product and then on to Kroil.

Next up would be some copper scrub pads and little to no pressure but this will easily impact the finish.

If those don't work, bead blast and a surface grinder.

A note to owners of blued guns. Kroil is sorta bluing safe and I would be hesitant to use on a blued gun with rust.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Are you sure that slide top is a brushed finish? It looks more like a matte bead blasted finish which I would be very careful with. Almost anything you do to that finish will change it short of re bead blasting it.

The side of the slide is definitely brushed finish, just stay in the direction of the grain.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Heya,

I take pretty good care of my guns, clean and oil regular enough, but noticed my PPK has some brownish spots popping up. I can't "feel" them, so they must be pretty new and very surface level?

Any good ways to clean these that won't damage the gun? I was thinking some #0000 steel wool for the brushed part on top would be fine, but I'm afraid of damaging the polished part below. View attachment 270198
    I’ve used 0000 steal wool doused in 30 weight motor oil and gently “scrub” the rust off then keep the weapon lightly oiled at all times.

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    I suggest you do not use anything made of carbon steel (steel wool) on stainless parts. the carbon steel can get imbedded in the stainless and make it more susceptible to corrosion.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I suggest you do not use anything made of carbon steel (steel wool) on stainless parts. the carbon steel can get imbedded in the stainless and make it more susceptible to corrosion.
    Oops! Forgot to say that following the very gentle scrubbing with 0000 steel wool and 30 weight oil, I follow up with Flitz polish and microfiber towels to polish and clean it up then lightly oil with a CLP to keep it nice and clean.

Top Bottom