• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I have heard different ways to clean squirrels it takes me a long time. Does anyone have any tips to doing it faster.I skin them basically like a deer. Also do you take the guts out in the field I do this for rabbits but is it necessary for squirrels?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I find dog shampoo to work fairly well, but getting the squirrel to hold still is the tough part.

:ingo:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Tin snips and a sharp knife. Cut the feet off with tin snips. cut their head off. Cut under the tail along the back. Work the skin loose around the legs and arse. Hold by the tail and pull. Should be able to do it in less than 2 min.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Seriously, it's not a necessity, but it's a good idea to leave the guts in the field, especially if it's going to be some time before you get them cooled down.
    If it's cold outside, just gut it and be done with it 'till you get home.
    It's a LOT more crucial, if it's hot out. DON'T leave the guts in the animal for too long in warm weather. :twocents:

Other than that, squirrel, deer, rabbit, etc... = mammals. They are all pretty much the same for cleaning. Some are just a LOT more work than others!:D

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    Make sure they're dead before sticking them in your pouch (don't want to get bit in the ***). Take catch home. Cut them round the middle with a sharp knife and peel back enough hide to be able to pull outwards. It's like pulling off pants and a shirt at the same time the opposite way with both hands. Cut it's hands and feet off as previously mentioned (I just do it with the knife, but tin snips sounds like a good way, too). Gut and cut up. Soak meat in salt water for a while. Cook and enjoy! Squirrel stew...YUM!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I can try the dog shampoo because they are usually not moving to much by the time I am ready to do the cleaning.

My comment was totally in gest, so don't go using dog shampoo on my account! :D

(I have to make comments in the Outdoors forum every once in a while!)

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville
    This method works great-as long as you don't cut too deep and pull the tail off, then you have a furry mess. I still need more practice, but this is how I do them as well.

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    That video was perfect I will be trying that this weekend if I get lucky and get a couple.
    Thanks Cpt Caveman and everyones input. And by the way I was not really going to use the dog shampoo, unless it works?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Tin snips and a sharp knife. Cut the feet off with tin snips. cut their head off. Cut under the tail along the back. Work the skin loose around the legs and arse. Hold by the tail and pull. Should be able to do it in less than 2 min.

I do it on a log stump and use my tomahawk instead of snips but I've been taking off the head and feet with the skin at the end instead of the beginning.

I'm gonna try your way next time. Just never thought of it before but sounds like it's worth trying.

Time and doing them is the best teacher I've ever known. Showing only goes so far and sooner or later you run out of people to show you and they all say do your own. ROTFL

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Tastes like chicken! Cut into quarters, soak in cold salted water, roll in flour just like chicken. Cook 30 mins or so remove from skillet, make gravy to put on mashed potatoes and biscuits. You will think you are eating dark meat chicken, yummmmy.

Top Bottom