• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Actually, now that you mention it....urine is a weak base. The residue left in barrels from corrosive ammo is generally potassium chloride and/or sodium chloride.

I ran this by my fiancee (she has a Masters degree in analytical chemistry and works as an analytical chemist for a company that supplies one of the largest tire manufacturers in the USA with rubber.)

She says that the weak base of urine would likely bond with the chemical residue left over in the barrel from the corrosive ammo and help to clean it out. In addition, the physical washing-out of the chemicals by the stream can't hurt

So, I wouldn't substitute urine for my normal cleaning lubricant, but if you forget your water at the range and you've been shooting corrosive ammo, AND you're not worried about people making fun of the size of your "gun".... yeah, sure, go for it.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Brake cleaner, followed by a tiny coating of oil. Worked on my VEPR (why did I ever sell that?:(), and my SKS too.

Ouch! You sold a VEPR? Why?

@ original poster:

I use RemOil wipes on just about everything. It surprisingly cuts a lot of buildup and removes powder residue very well. It's well priced and you can get it from walmart.

I think the basic rule of thumb on AKs is clean shiney parts. AKs are designed to handle dirt. I like my rifles SPOTLESS, so I clean everything anyway. (gotta protect that resale)

That said, clean the barrel with good bore snake and a patch with some cleaning oil of your choice. Run it through several times. Keep the inside of your magwel clean and free of debris. Keep an eye for buildup on the bolt and firing-pin assembly. If you see a TON of buildup because you've been shooting corrosive surplus ammo, then you may want to use some kind of nitro solvent.

GL Have Fun!

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    I usually just **** in it after shooting corrosive ammo. Seriously,it's like yellow windex.

That's Al Qaeda cleaning solvent, and exactly why we wore rubber gloves when handling captured weapons while I was in Iraq. Captured weapons = biohazard.

I worked in a forensics lab and you would not believe the s#*t that people would do to their weapons. It makes a gun loving grown man cry.

(we had alternative reasons for wearing rubber gloves.. :) )

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Well i shoot alot of corrosive ammo so i do oil my gas tube and piston and just about everything else.... if ill be shooting it again soon a lighter oiling storing it a bit more heavy....how ever i started using a little light grease and seems to like it takes much more abuse to get it to start burning off and it cleans off very easily even on the piston face its self the carbon build up just wipes off

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    That's Al Qaeda cleaning solvent, and exactly why we wore rubber gloves when handling captured weapons while I was in Iraq. Captured weapons = biohazard.

I worked in a forensics lab and you would not believe the s#*t that people would do to their weapons. It makes a gun loving grown man cry.

(we had alternative reasons for wearing rubber gloves.. :) )

Never see this on the 6 o clock news. Gross and disgusting. And after cleaning, they fired that crap back into their faces? What is wrong with them?

Alexp120

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Little axle grease on the rails (where bolt carrier is sliding on), very little. Barrel with the soap and water (or windex) once in a while, and light oil, dry to touch. Maybe once every few months, especially if corrosive ammo is used.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    We picked up hundreds of them in Iraq during the invasion in 2003 (a few golden AKs too) and the funny thing is Iraqis used diesel fuel to clean theirs. Basically used the stuff like parts washer solvent. The diesel evaporated, leaving an oil film on anything not wiped down. Sure it attracted dirt but after another 30 second cleaning, it was good to go for a bit.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I dont really lube anything on my AKs. I clean with CLP with will leave some lube behind, but I usually trip to wipe all of it off the gas piston and out of the gas block. The lube in the gas system will just burn up and turn into carbon deposits that are harder to get off later.

biker250

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Excuse the possibly dumb question, but can somebody give a $.50 explanation of corrosive ammo? How do you know if the ammo you buy is "corrosive"? Thanks.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Welcome to INGO!

Corrosive ammo is *usually* military surplus type ammo. Anything that is new production is 99% going to be non-corrosive, ie your wolf, brown/silver/golden bear, golden tiger, tula, etc.

In 7.62x39 Chinese ammo and Yugo M67 is the most common corrosive you will find usually.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Ok from what im reading here in this post is bad info. Im an absolute AK nut and I'm telling you to oil the bolt and the rails it slides on in the receiver. Also run a brush down the piston tube along with pipe cleaners in the gas block.Pick your favorite cleaning solution. Contrary to popular believe, Ive seen lots of AKs jam. And the #1 reason is because of the gas block getting gunked up. No harm can come from having a clean weapon.

Top Bottom