Cleaning up stripped threading on buffer tubes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Can it be done? Would I be better to just cut the buffer tube so I could get the castle nut off? I cannot move the castle nut past the stripped threads because it gets stuck. Suggestions

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    how on earth did you strip threads on a buffer tube? :n00b: so you have the buffer tube off the rifle but you can't get the castle nut off the tube? is that correct?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    It isn't going to hurt to try it. Use a jewelers file to file away the metal that is pushed out of place. I constantly have to chase threads on stuff that gets stripped. You might also be able to find someone local to you that has the correct die to chase the threads.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    how on earth did you strip threads on a buffer tube? :n00b: so you have the buffer tube off the rifle but you can't get the castle nut off the tube? is that correct?

Yes. The way I stripped it is the crappy stock wrench I have been using

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

You know how when you were 13 you used to beat the snot out of your friends with Hot Wheels tracks? Well, he's got gun parts instead of Hot Wheels.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'd think if you had a decent way to apply torque to the buffer tube, then wrench that castle nut through the stripped part by brute force, it would very likely straighten those threads out enough to use the thing. The buffer tube is aluminum, the castle nut steel. Not sure I want to know how you boogered them up that bad in the first place.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    It was the crappy stockwrench from aimsports. Also there was user error involved

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Local hardware will have a tool called a thread file. It usually has 8 different pitches. Four on each end. Looks like this. Minus rust.
    25g9zy9.jpg

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    If I recall correctly AR lower is 1 and 3/16 x 16 threads per inch. If you can run nut forward to get at gobbered threads I don't see why it wouldn't. After thread clean-up ,by what ever method, be sure to use a good lube (never seez) before trying to back off nut. Steel and aluminum don't play well together. Will gall at the slightest chance. Explains anodizing. Sorry, maybe Home Depot but more likely something like a Tractor Supply or similar.

Last edited:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    If I recall correctly AR lower is 1 and 3/16 x 16 threads per inch. If you can run nut forward to get at gobbered threads I don't see why it wouldn't. After thread clean-up ,by what ever method, be sure to use a good lube (never seez) before trying to back off nut. Steel and aluminum don't play well together. Will gall at the slightest chance. Explains anodizing. Sorry, maybe Home Depot but more likely something like a Tractor Supply or similar.

So I won't be able to use the buffer tube again? Anyone recommend a good cheap one?

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    For thread file go to Whole Sale Tool on Hanna Ave just off of 31/East street in the south sife of Indianapolis. They will have it and a lot more "man toys".

Top Bottom