• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    Has anyone successfully cleaned dirty walnut tumbling media?
    You may ask "why would you want to clean media rather tha just replace it"? The reason is that more than once I have settled in for a reloading session and realized my media was just not cleaning anymore and I am out of new. Obviously, new media would be best, but could it be cleaned up somewhat as a temporary solution?

My biggest concerns would be the hazardous dust coming off the spent media and then getting it dry if it was washed in some way.

Rinse with acetone?
    Brake cleaner/degreaser spray?

Thanks for any input.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Best advice, keep your reserve supply of media stocked up, plan better. To answer your question, I had a batch that would clean great, but it was really dusty, even though I had used it only a few times. I cut up fabric softner dryer sheets into about 2 inch squares and put them in with the media. After a couple hours of running time, the dryer sheets looked like tar paper and the dust was mostly eliminated. That tip may help you. Good Luck

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    My biggest concerns would be the hazardous dust coming off the spent media and then getting it dry if it was washed in some way.

Rinse with acetone?
    Brake cleaner/degreaser spray?

Thanks for any input.

The cost of acetone or brake cleaner will be more than buying a small container of new media. Like Leo said, "Best advice, keep your reserve supply of media stocked up, plan better." I have 30 lbs. on hand...

townmarshal

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    indy
    Cleaning media

From a post on another forum, you can wash both corn and walnut media in dishwashing liquid, then rinse a couple of times and sun or oven dry. I tried it and it did work for me. Don't do it any more as I decided it was one more step(several) I'd rather avoid.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Slight thread jack. I use corn and have never seen any dust. Is the dust produced from cleaning or is it only problematic with walnut media?

Back on topic. It seems it would be easier and faster to find a Walmart than to use liquid to clean the media and then wait until it dries out.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    Thanks for all the advice. As to why you would want to clean it - 10:00 PM, just getting a chance to sit down at the bench, have a few hours to myself......@#%& - media is shot! Sure I can buy more tomorrow, but I neeed something tonight!

I suppose the best advice was to get a good supply and don't run out. Thanks again.

Top Bottom