• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My process is simple for anything other than my .22's, and for thousands and thousands of rounds in my non-.22 pistols, never had a hiccup.

1. Remove slide from frame.
    2. Remove barrel/spring assembly from slide.
    3. Run bore snake through barrel.
    4. Use about 10-15 q-tips dipped in frog lube paste to clean all the crap where they can reach. (you do have to tweezer out fibers very occasionally)
    5. Apply very small amounts of frog lube paste to slide action.
    6. Blowdry until froglube melts.
    7. Put it back together and cycle the slide 9-10x.

I've never run anything "hard", but have done 250-300 rounds in a session many many times with no problem using this method.

The only thing I'm doing differently soon is running the bore snake at the range (keeping a collection of them in my range bag)

Interesting on the frog lube, how has it handled cold weather shooting or prolonged storage then shooting? Not meant as a knock on your choices but after reading all the bad in the last couple years I was intrigued. :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Bore snakes or cleaning rods?
    Never heard of a bore snake until yesterday.

Why?

I thought bore snakes were just for rifles, not handguns: duh? :dunno:

wildcatdd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Noblesville
    Bore snakes or cleaning rods?
    Never heard of a bore snake until yesterday.

Why?

I thought bore snakes were just for rifles, not handguns: duh? :dunno:

I'm slowly switching to bore snakes. They are easier to work with and store since you don't need the rod, caliber tips, brushes, patches, etc. I like to use them on my guns that are more of a PITA to disassemble.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Meh, I wipe the guns down once in awhile with FP10. Hardly ever touch the bores until accuracy or function issues develop. I do have a bore snake for each caliber and run them through once in awhile to verify there is still shine.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I have run a bore snake through my 22 and 9mm pistols. They don't clean as thoroughly as patches, but they are certainly better than nothing. You can still get some dirt on clean patches after using the snake.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ok, I've got to ask: Why didn't the guy at Jenkins when I was getting supplies tell me about the option of bore snake?
    Probably b/c I already had a kit and was just buying other items for different calibers.

Where do you get these?
    Are they different lengths?
    How much?
    Do you dip them in solvent/cleaner before you "snake" them through the bore?

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    You can buy them at Bass pro shop. I picked mine up on amazon. I pour a bit of solvent on them before dragging them through. I also add a bit of oil to the tail end.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ake&sprefix=hoppes,aps,230&crid=1EAN4OWGYBN88

51ZlKoCFUOL._AC_US218_.jpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Use what you got. Snip up an old pair undies and spry some Kroil or PB Blaster. Carb or brake cleaner is great.

Right now I'm on Kroil. Once that is gone will start on the gallon jug of Marvel Mystery Oil a guy dropped off.

Don't matter what you use it's that you do it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    CLP, some patches, cleaning rod, a brush, and a toothbrush is all you need. A boresnake will not thoroughly clean your barrel and improper use can lead to a big headache when it jams up in the barrel.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This recent post from the "barrel life" thread comes to mind:

my 9mm berettas started showing a noticeable loss of accuracy after 60k. my practice gun at 120k couldn't hardly keep on an ipsc head box at 15 yards any more.

I have a glock w/ about 30k on it, still shoots as good as day one. Bore has never been cleaned.

My 38super open gun has over 60k. Bore only cleaned a couple times, maybe a dozen passes with a brush ever... still awesomely accurate.

Don't worry about pistol barrel life. The gun/barrel cost pales in comparison to the ammo cost. Most pistols you can drop in or fit a new barrel if needed.

I think over-cleaning causes more damage than shooting (note, I almost exclusively use jhp). higher pressure / higher velocity rounds usually wear the barrel/throat faster (why rifles wear barrels out so much faster). A .380? I wouldn't even give a thought about bore life...

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This recent post from the "barrel life" thread comes to mind:

Since that post wasn't specifically about cleaning, I just want to point out that "not cleaning" is not a one-size-fits-all answer. ... For instance, lead bullets can potentially create build up that could eventually lead to dangerous pressures. You have to at least inspect, know what you're using, etc.

when I was a newb, I cleaned. And cleaned. I was meticulous. Every range trip. Even if just 50 rounds. Then one day I thought "you know, I wonder if it would be OK to wait until after my next trip to clean?"

Fast forward a few years, and I had discovered a good 9mm really CAN go 20 thousand rounds between cleanings while being 100% reliable! :D

They need to be dirt/debris free. Powder residue is not dirt or debris. Keep them well oiled. Oil is its blood. Oil can be added between cleanings.

I once bought in in to needing a bunch of special widgets, certain chemicals, etc...
    Now, on those rare occasions when I sigh and think I should actually clean a gun, I don't use anything more than a couple shop rags, some q tips, a little brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner, maybe a bore snake or brush and some hoppes#9 if warranted, and lube it up with some Mobile 1.

-rvb

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    You would use the same for 380 as you would for 38/357 and 9mm. This is the kit I use. Nice and compact and has everything I need pretty much (except for the patches/solvent/lube).

[video=youtube;vVtVSj3ruUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVtVSj3ruUA[/video]

I have 3 of these. Keep a 3"x3" lens cleaning cloth wrapped around the bits to stop rattle, and use as spare rag. Best $10 ever

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since that post wasn't specifically about cleaning, I just want to point out that "not cleaning" is not a one-size-fits-all answer. ... For instance, lead bullets can potentially create build up that could eventually lead to dangerous pressures. You have to at least inspect, know what you're using, etc.

when I was a newb, I cleaned. And cleaned. I was meticulous. Every range trip. Even if just 50 rounds. Then one day I thought "you know, I wonder if it would be OK to wait until after my next trip to clean?"

Fast forward a few years, and I had discovered a good 9mm really CAN go 20 thousand rounds between cleanings while being 100% reliable! :D

They need to be dirt/debris free. Powder residue is not dirt or debris. Keep them well oiled. Oil is its blood. Oil can be added between cleanings.

I once bought in in to needing a bunch of special widgets, certain chemicals, etc...
    Now, on those rare occasions when I sigh and think I should actually clean a gun, I don't use anything more than a couple shop rags, some q tips, a little brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner, maybe a bore snake or brush and some hoppes#9 if warranted, and lube it up with some Mobile 1.

-rvb

1. Appreciate the "balanced" input. I realize that some are anal about it, but if you'll remember, I stated I have never cleaned a gun in my life.
    2. I had mostly just revolvers and didn't shoot too much, and only .22s with only 1 38 snubbie I couldn't afford ammo for :dunno:.
    3. I usually didn't own them very long. (see a pattern there? :laugh:)
    4. I do have a Colt Mustang .380 I bought around 1990 that I've never cleaned yet, but I hardly shot it; I've shot it more (1 box) since May than I did then.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    If i skip cleaining after shooting the polished feed ramp on my XDM/XDE are both very hard to get clean. I don't know that it is anything that would be detrimental over time, but it sure is a pita to get off.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If i skip cleaining after shooting the polished feed ramp on my XDM/XDE are both very hard to get clean. I don't know that it is anything that would be detrimental over time, but it sure is a pita to get off.

A couple drips of CLP and let it sit for 15 minutes and most of it will wipe off. You may have to repeat, but it keeps you from having to scrub. I do the same to get the grime off of my rifling.

Top Bottom