• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    While writing my 11th grade term paper today my English teacher is proofreading my rough draft and says that the line "guns dont kill people, People kill people." is cliche meaning hat it has lost its original meaning. Does anyone here have anything to say about that?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    While writing my 11th grade term paper today my English teacher is proofreading my rough draft and says that the line "guns dont kill people, People kill people." is cliche meaning hat it has lost its original meaning. Does anyone here have anything to say about that?

Some phrases may be so common as to be considered a part of our language, and I suppose could be called a "cliche." That doesn't mean it's any less true to applicable. I would say that as long as you aren't claiming it as your own invention, it's no less valid than "Do unto others.. . . . .", or "that which governs least governs best."

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Teacher's opinion???

Ask your teacher if he/she objects to the phrase or the concept it expresses.

Consider expressing the concept by pointing out that an inanimate object, be it a knife, a gun, or a baseball bat, is totally incapable of any action without human involvement.

jsnowy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Muncie
    As far as I know, cliches are generally frowned upon in formal writing. I would suggest rewording the phrase to better explain your position. Something like: "We have no need to fear inanimate objects such as guns, paper clips or pencils."
    Be creative but make sure you clearly communicate your objective.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    As far as I know, cliches are generally frowned upon in formal writing. I would suggest rewording the phrase to better explain your position. Something like: "We have no need to fear inanimate objects such as guns, paper clips or pencils."

This...

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN

I hope this is the truth, in my writing class' experiences, they want you to have original thought. It's OK to use a cliche prase, just say it in a new way.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If you want to use it, you can use it in quotes, and then explain what it means. That is more acceptable. If you are using it to make your point, then no, you shouldn't do that.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

you could change it up to say "Guns don't kill people, abortion clinics kill people." But not if you are trying to get a good grade.

I would ask her just HOW has it lost it's meaning? Truth is truth. no matter how overused.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    Now we're getting to the crux of the issue. The teacher's bias seems to have encroached on the grading of the paper.

I asked her what if it's a woman and shes afraid of being a rape victim and she told me she would rather be raped then to shoot the attacker. Does she honestly believe that she'd be ok with a man forcing himself on her?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Tell her that is her choice, but to stay out of the voting booths with that attitude so I can keep my freedom to act like a self respecting human and defend myself.
    Or you could just ask her the same question but instead of her being the victim, ask if she would sit idly by as her daughter was the victim.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Share this with the teacher

It may not be a "cliche" but it makes the point.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Depending on what you are getting at:

"Guns don't kill people, but they sure make it easier."
    or
    "Humans posses intent. The tools are secondary, and can only work at the direction of their master. A gun can no more butter toast than harm someone on its own. In the hands of a masked intruder it is a weapon of violence, but in the hand of the frightened homeowner - it is a savior. The old cliche 'Guns don't kill people. People kill people' is as true now as ever. People with malicious intent have been harming others for millenia, regardless of the tools employed."

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    It may not be a "cliche" but it makes the point.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

I like that quote, I think I'll be adding this to my paper.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I asked her what if it's a woman and shes afraid of being a rape victim and she told me she would rather be raped then to shoot the attacker. Does she honestly believe that she'd be ok with a man forcing himself on her?

She says that now because her mind can't comprehend the sheer extent of terror, helplessness, guilt, and loss of control she would experience as a rape victim. She also probably doesn't really think it can happen to her. Her fear of firearms is more real to her than her fear of being raped. She's making a "logical" choice, albeit one based on incorrect assumptions. And, as the above quote illustrates, there is a perceived moral high ground in refusing to use force in any circumstance, no matter how justified it might be.

I know of no other way of changing the minds of women who hold this viewpoint than to give them a taste of their "I'd rather." And as it stands now, that's illegal. So I simply ask them if they would stand by and watch someone rape their daughter/niece/cousin/student/mother/sister/etc. It's one thing if they want to martyr themselves by choice; it's another when you force them to confront the reality that their choice means forcing other women to experience the same thing. Making them complicit in the rape by refusing to take action when they could is powerful. But they dislike the turmoil it creates for them internally, so watch out. The claws will be unsheathed.

On a side note: the correct way to write the phrase is as follows:
    Guns don't kill people; people kill people. Semicolon instead of comma and do not capitalize the 2nd "people." Of course, you could make two complete sentences out of it too, but that's boring.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Unfortunately, there would be no point trying to convince her, as she will be absolutely incapable of accepting that her enlightened views could be incorrect, while the mindless natterings of the unwashed heathen are right. Tell you what, you may buy yourself a better grade by acting like you're coming around to her view. She'll reward you, thinking the indoctrination is taking hold. Let her be your fool. You're not going to convince her anyway, so just let it go. Don't stress yourself or waste your capital by ramming your head into the wall, just walk around. Stay true to yourself; she'll learn or not on her own.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I have the same problem with my teacher. She said that someone one time brought a full auto glock to school. Also tell her to not be biased when grading your paper. Or you will make a formal complant to the school

Top Bottom