• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Well I picked up a Summit Viper SD tonight and have to say that my first climb with it was not bad (in the dark) I think I am going to like it, I see a few adjustments I want to make with everything but I think it may be the most comfortable stand I own. I am really going to like the flexibility of it. So now any tips or pointers would be welcome.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    One thing I highly recomend if its not already on there is take about a 3 to 4 foot peice of paracord and tie it to the two halves of the climber. Theres no worse feeling than being 20 feet up a tree and the bottom half slip off your feet ( yes it can happen) while climbing and it fall down the tree 7 feet before it catches. It makes for an interesting time trying to get back down to it. With the paracord you can pull it back up to you or it will be close enough you can reach it with your feet.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    One thing I highly recomend if its not already on there is take about a 3 to 4 foot peice of paracord and tie it to the two halves of the climber. Theres no worse feeling than being 20 feet up a tree and the bottom half slip off your feet ( yes it can happen) while climbing and it fall down the tree 7 feet before it catches. It makes for an interesting time trying to get back down to it. With the paracord you can pull it back up to you or it will be close enough you can reach it with your feet.

I gotta +1 this. I didn't tie mine together and wouldn't until I was set. An icy tree decided it didn't want me to get locked in as I was climbing. Luckily, I had the straps over my boots fairly tight so it wasn't a terrible slide. Slid about 3-4 feet before catching the tree. It would have really sucked if I'd have been moving around getting everything tied together when it decided to slide.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    It did come with the para cord they call it an "umbilical" cord now and I think it is standard, at least on the Summit stands I was looking at.

Hickman,
    I like that idea a lot and will pick a set of those up. Right now I just need to get everything adjusted and practice with it a bit.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I used the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Summit-Treestands-Adjustable-Backpack-Straps/dp/B005HRQXCA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1350236058&sr=8-6&keywords=summit+straps"]Summit backpack straps[/ame] as the umbilical.

Comes in handy.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I have 2 gorillas and I've always felt safe in them, I had an old api and I didnt have the top and bottom tied together, one night I was climbing down a tree and the bottom fell about 8 ft before it caught. Luckily I was hunting with a friend and I had him use his climber and climb underneath me and he put the bottom back where I could reach it. That was definitely not a fun ordeal, and if I wouldve been by myself Im not sure how I wouldve got down. Now every stand I have is tied together

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I have a Summit Viper SS, and A Razor SS. By far the most comfortable stands i've ever owned. Thanks for the link Hickman I might be ordering a couple of those tonight.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I have nothing againts Summit Stands but some things to consider are...Profile, when carrying a summit to the woods your profile and ability to manuver are lousy. I have been in and tried many climbers. By far without question the quietest, most low profile and easy to use stand is the Lone Wolf. Most people shy away from it at first because it is a little more $. It really is worth it. No matter what climber or stand you end up with, you have to practice and become comfortable with it in a controlled enviornment, chances are when you have it in the field you will either enter or exit in darkness. The only sound you will hear if your lone wolf is packed correctly is the sound of your feet hitting the ground.

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    Strange as this may sound, on two of my all day sit spots, I have climbing stands strapped in the trees with climbing sticks going up to them. Comfortable, easy and everything is adjusted just right. I find them more comfortable than my ladder stands.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Strange as this may sound, on two of my all day sit spots, I have climbing stands strapped in the trees with climbing sticks going up to them. Comfortable, easy and everything is adjusted just right. I find them more comfortable than my ladder stands.

My Summit Titan is VERY comfortable. If I plan to stay in all day, I'll strap them to the tree and take a nap, lol.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    How safe are the new imbing stands? Been looking at the Summit stands and they look well built. Got picked to a deer reduction hunt and thought that may be a good option since I had planed on a ground blind but they are not allowed. I have a hunter safty system I use on my ladderstands.

as safe as you want them to be! i've always used one while hunting. but you have to pay attention to what tree's you clumb, how big they are, what shape, and type of bark! always use a safety harness and you'll be just fine!

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I just ordered a new Summit goliath SD to try out for this year..Managed to get it for $250 off ebay with free shipping.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I had a Summit viper for a while and got rid of it. I now have a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb. The Summit is more comfortable sitting in it, but he Lone Wolf is much quiter, compact, lighter, easier to set up, packup and carry.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    EckFrank
    Top Bottom