• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thats a lot of vinegar! If yours are anything like mine, I end up with so much I dont think any reasonable amount of vinegar would help. Then you have the task of getting ALL that vinegar out so you dont smell/taste it for a while.

This is what I built. 3' of 3/4" tubing, shoved INSIDE the end of a vac extension tube. If the flexible hose is not INSIDE the extension tube, the lip of the extension creates a snag point and it clogs VERY easily. I had to flare out this extension a bit so that it doesnt create a pinch point for the chips to clog at. The key is to keep adding water to the chips while going SLOW. Its very easy to get excited and clog it. Wet chips flow very easily whereas relatively dry ones clog easy. Remove the lower element and this goes right into that hole easily.

View attachment 62691

Pretty much what I did. Hard part, when it’s got that many chips in the bottom is getting the water to drain.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pretty much what I did. Hard part, when it’s got that many chips in the bottom is getting the water to drain.

I solved that too. I built a rig that adapts my compressor to the blowoff valve. Set tool pressure at 20psi, (open the blowoff) close the cold feed, and open the drain. That tends to keep the water moving and drain it within 10 minutes, even with stuff hindering the flow.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I solved that too. I built a rig that adapts my compressor to the blowoff valve. Set tool pressure at 20psi, (open the blowoff) close the cold feed, and open the drain. That tends to keep the water moving and drain it within 10 minutes, even with stuff hindering the flow.

Good idea. It's been awhile since I drained mine (since last element went out) and I keep thinking it doesn't seem like we have as much hot water as we used to, so I'm probably due for a drain and clean (and element replacement).

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I like that tool, I could have used it for my old house. Utica had insanely hard water and in 2 years the bottom of my water heater was filled with chunks. I had to drain it every six months to keep the build up from killing electrodes. I think I will be able to just drain once a year at my new house.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't see why you don't use one water heater for the sinks closer to it, and the other for the sinks closer to it. I don't get why there would be hot line ran 200' for the sole purpose of feeding another water heater.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Hook that 200 foot feed line from the first heater to a cold water supply and install an instant water heater in place of the far tank when the heater fails.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm assuming the sinks near the second water heater already have a cold water supply that can also supply the WH. I don't see why that run is necessary at all.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Supposedly ultra low watt density elements prevent the scale buildup. next water heater I buy I'll replace with them to prevent any buildup. but right now I already have it and Ive had the tank a while so I'll wait.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/elements.html

I'm learning stuff here today...

I'd seen the different varieties but wasn't aware why they were shaped differently. If I walked into Lowes to get an element, how would I know it was one of the ultra-low wattage versions? I looked on their website and they don't advertise them as high, medium, low, etc.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm no expert on electric water heaters, but the one in my Mom's house was installed by my Dad in 1962...and he traded an old refrigerator, so it was used at that time. Still working as of now. Dad ran a sediment filter and a water softener from the early '80s on. No way it should have lasted this long.

In the 18 years I've owned houses, I've installed 3 gas water heaters...yeah, gas is harder on everything in a WH, but geez.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm no expert on electric water heaters, but the one in my Mom's house was installed by my Dad in 1962...and he traded an old refrigerator, so it was used at that time. Still working as of now. Dad ran a sediment filter and a water softener from the early '80s on. No way it should have lasted this long.

In the 18 years I've owned houses, I've installed 3 gas water heaters...yeah, gas is harder on everything in a WH, but geez.

They don't make them like they used too, eh? :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They don't make them like they used too, eh? :)

I guess not. I have a 19 year old Rheem 80 gal one in my current house, so I shouldn't complain. In my old house, I think I and the former owner were putting in bargain basement water heaters.

Rheem for me from now on.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess not. I have a 19 year old Rheem 80 gal one in my current house, so I should complain. In my old house, I think I and the former owner were putting in bargain basement water heaters.

Rheem for me from now on.

Mine are going on 16 years old. I make regular trips looking for "signs" now. I think the labels said they were 7 year warranty units.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Oh...and from what I'm seeing, you can't get 80 gallon electric units anymore unless you get those heat pump water heaters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Anode rod change out and draining. Regular maint. they do not speak of so you have to buy new units.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm learning stuff here today...

I'd seen the different varieties but wasn't aware why they were shaped differently. If I walked into Lowes to get an element, how would I know it was one of the ultra-low wattage versions? I looked on their website and they don't advertise them as high, medium, low, etc.

Ive never seen the low density units in the stores. They are a specialty item designed specifically for high mineral water. They are more expensive than a standard element, and only useful in one specific circumstance. I'm sure they wouldnt sell so I dont blame them.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Oh...and from what I'm seeing, you can't get 80 gallon electric units anymore unless you get those heat pump water heaters.

Yep, found this out myself (couldn't get anything over a 50 I believe) and ended up going with a heat pump water heater. The 65 gallon regular electric I replaced was under purchased warranty from Lowes so I got refund for previous purchase amount (including install cost, I believe) and a hefty tax credit at the time for going with the heat pump so it ended up ok on my end, otherwise the heat pump water heater was pretty pricey at the time. Not sure if they have gone down much in last couple of years. Would have liked to have gone with something else just because I don't like this type of thing to have too many moving parts, but it was what I could get at the time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom