• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I would say it’s more critical with 556/223 to also have a good bullet. I’d recommend against a longer shot. Went on a hunt in Texas once and a couple folks running 556 had hits but no recovery

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I would say it’s more critical with 556/223 to also have a good bullet. I’d recommend against a longer shot. Went on a hunt in Texas once and a couple folks running 556 had hits but no recovery
    We’re talking Fairly short distances here. It’s not technically baiting but they are destroying the sorghum crop. Also wondering about possible meat harvesting?

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    What did you have? Any better performance? Would love to hunt them someday interested if I already have the equipment.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Shot placement is the key here. Put a good 5.56 in his ear and he’ll go down plus you’ll preserve the meat.
    I am not sure if they are stupid Understanding they do not have cognitive abilities so to speak. But the Side by side does not seem to scare them off. And they are quite aggressive.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    What did you have? Any better performance? Would love to hunt them someday interested if I already have the equipment.
    I ran the same thing I do deer hunting. A Marlin 30-30 running 150 grain Remington Coreloc and my 180 pound didn’t go far. My shot was about 70 yards. Ghost ring sights at dusk.

I know one that ran a 223 ran Winchester supreme like 70 grain maybe it was heavy for caliber and he never recovered his. Witnesses said it sounded like a solid hit. Not sure what the second guy ran ammo wise. The rest of us ran 30-30 308 and one guy had a K98 we dropped ours

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’ve taken a boar at about 45-50 yards with a S&W Model 29 6” barrel loaded with 240 grn Hornady XTP Bullets and a stout load of 2400 powder. Hit right low and behind the shoulder. He took a couple of steps and dropped. Bullet took out heart and lungs. Weight about 135 lbs. The meat was pretty good on the grille after marinating and careful seasoning. :rockwoot:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My father shot them in Florida with 60 grain Sierras in 223. I dont recall him having any issues.
    Since long before I was born and the few hundred I have helped butcher on our farm they were dropped with a 22LR behind the ear or between the boar's eyes and its forehead. one shot and the hogs down and on its side, a quick slit and its over.
    Personally I wouldnt think twice on using a 223 and a heavier bullet.

Lots of great options with todays 223 bullets.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My father shot them in Florida with 60 grain Sierras in 223. I dont recall him having any issues.
    Since long before I was born and the few hundred I have helped butcher on our farm they were dropped with a 22LR behind the ear or between the boar's eyes and its forehead. one shot and the hogs down and on its side, a quick slit and its over.
    Personally I wouldnt think twice on using a 223 and a heavier bullet.

Lots of great options with todays 223 bullets.
    Not a .223, but I have watched a bullet skip off of a deers forehead from 30'.
    Took all of the hair and skin down to the bone and scraped the scalp, but did not penetrate.
    The angle was wrong.
    Many, many variables...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Not a .223, but I have watched a bullet skip off of a deers forehead from 30'.
    Took all of the hair and skin down to the bone and scraped the scalp, but did not penetrate.
    The angle was wrong.
    Many, many variables...
    It happens, with a bad angle and or a bad shot placment.
    A few inches lower and the top of the skull would have been lifted off.

My father told one of my sons to shoot that deer in its ear. Thats how hes harvested them with a gun since he was little.

Top Bottom