• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    OK ... I just signed up / in / paid for the Cloverdale Appleseed.

I think I got the main marlin ... (mine from 1977) ... running and re-sighted in properly.

I figured out that the backup marlin (son-in-law's 795) ... the scope was sliding back
    which messed w/ POA/POI and eye relief ... oddly it still seemed tight. ... and its locktight-ed and sighted.

and I borrowed a friends LTR w/ the tech sights ... along w/ other goodies (like a real mat)
    and found a good supply of non-bulk quality ammo (enough) ...

I'm "IN" ...

I know the Ladyseed is the same weekend, but I as curious who else might be at this one?
    (there are 20 tickets sold including me).

hooky

Grandmaster
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    That's a great venue as you can do some KD at 100yds on day 2. I assume DaveD will be the shoot boss. He does a good job. You'll have a good time for sure.

brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Thanks hooky ... I've thought that a rimfire KD useing the 25M top target at 25, 50, 75 and 100 would be pretty cool,
    ... and quite the challenge ...

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    I signed up today... maybe this time I can score Rifleman.
    Either way, it will be a glorious weekend.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    Got my ticket back sept 25th......this is by far not my first appleseed, nor by far my last!!!! Love, Love Love it.....especially the history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am gonna bring one of my M1 Garands for sunday, gonna bring plenty ammo too. so anyone wants to shoot her will be welcome.....Got her all greased up and ready to go this time.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    All Right ... where's ATM? I know he is around here some where! I was supposed to setting up the target line in clear weather today. Instead I'm blowing leaves out of the gutters in the rain!!

Weatherman says no rain this weekend though. Looking forward to another fantastic shoot and yes it is still great, even if the weather is "nasty".

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I don't believe you, Dave, It might have rained in Greencastle but the skies are always sunny over Cloverdale Conservation Club. ;)

Wish I could join you all for this one but I'll be stuck at work. :(

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    Well, crud, I have to work this weekend. I am emailing to see I can transfer my ticket to the December shoot.
    Have fun out there.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Andy, we will miss you!

It's hot this morning ... already 57 degrees. Alan, I did over react :): Sorry about that, I do need to learn to control myself.

brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I had a great Appleseed, no rifleman patch this time for me (yet); but I got closer. ... transition - and finding that state of "relaxed" focus.

DaveD, Eddie, and GreyFox did a great job! We had 1 new patch and a few 'repeat offenders' (Kidding)
    History is always awesome.

RBS - please to shoot with you! thanks for the stakes for the tarp; by my next run at this, I will probably have a set or 2 of those.
    I'm not sure who else on INGO was there.
    Here are some pictures and stuff that I have of this.

My series of photos ...

Link to the album:
    2014-10 25_26 Cloverdale Photos by bslikeiii | Photobucket

Grey Fox showing the loop sling:
    20141025_102526_zpsds88gh1n.jpg

and Prone:
    20141025_102642_zpsilgbajon.jpg

THIRD STRIKE OF THE MATCH pt 1
    20141025_171940_zpsy5dojxo9.jpg

THIRD STRIKE OF THE MATCH pt 2
    20141025_171949_zpsorcr2keb.jpg

THIRD STRIKE OF THE MATCH pt 3
    20141025_171959_zpsrkzik9eo.jpg

One of the FTF's on Day 1, I had 2 more of these on Day 2 - CCI Mini-Mags - HP's on Day two - I think RN on day 1.
    20141025_222948_zpsdqpneumg.jpg

Second View - the one on day 1 was actually stuck but was on morning squares - day 2's ejected, but were during AQT's (including the 200)
    20141025_223007_zps1rq3osc2.jpg

Morning Day 2 - a fine day for an April ... wait ... well it could be April ... Morning
    20141026_100221_zpsnahljttk.jpg

Day 2 Redcoats are up!! The Regulars are out!!
    20141026_100627_zpsvhlshko6.jpg

Sighting Squares Day 2 ... by this point in time; I think the Tasco is 1/2 MOA/Click, not 1/4 as marked. ... UGH.
    If my eyes were better ... and younger ... if's a big word.
    20141026_110734_zpslnawi6np.jpg

NOTE: I ended up w/ going w/ HP's for the day. I used the LRN's yesterday; but wouldn't have had enough to finish.

Dangerous Old Men - and Lunch ...
    20141026_124339_zpstocymy85.jpg

One new Rifleman - Here is Bob (no relation - just Bob :dunno:) receiving his patch ... (I think it was Bob, wasn't it?)
    20141026_131525_zpsl8xhzrw8.jpg

My day 2 scores, by including by stage. Further analysis pending.
    20141026_181232_zpsgfy3nhia.jpg

Two stage 4 targets next to last AQT from BB3:
    Pretty pleased. I called the one in the V on the far right.
    20141026_185351_zpsc6lbju7p.jpg

Thank again everyone for 2 great days of history, marksmanship and the finest of all American heritage.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just looking at your scores, brotherbill3, you are right there. Take your best scores for each stage from all of your targets and you get over 210. As I like to say, you have all the pieces to the puzzle you just have to put them together. Nice job, keep at it!

C ya,

brian

Project Appleseed Instructor

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Brotherbill, A GREAT way end the year would be to put those pieces together at Nashville on 06-07 December. Get that Rifleman score and maybe a Winterseed patch to boot.

brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Brotherbill, A GREAT way end the year would be to put those pieces together at Nashville on 06-07 December. Get that Rifleman score and maybe a Winterseed patch to boot.

THANKS!!!
    Perhaps .... I may try to convince the wife to drive down w/ me - BUT - I first need to use the skills to put some venison in the freezer - at least 1; I'd like 2 because I have friends that won't be hunting this year, so I feel lead to share ...

BTW - #ISTILLWANTAREDHAT. :) ...

I also have plans for next spring already - (when can I signup) - my nephew (- current LEO / Frmrly USMC 0331 -) has a son -
    a HS Senior Star Wideout - going ROTC in USMC after graduation - My "GIFT" is Patriots Weekend Seed ... but I want to hook him up w/ a 15-22 (or similar) rifle.
    He's shot and has a marlin 795 w/ a scope ... I'd like to see if he listens and learns fast enough to go off "TO" bootcamp - already a rifleman. :) ... more in a few -

brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    So ... I got to play analytical engineer tonight ... (who knew?)
    and made a spread sheet ... just to see the changes in how I did. stage by stage.

First Seed (6/13): only 1 AQT thanks to bonus round and malfunctioning stuff:
    29 29 19 34 x 2 = 68 .... 145 total (recounted tonight*** ... yes I still have all my AQT's)

Second Seed 9/6-9/7 2014:
    best stage scores (8 AQT's shot): 46 42 43 34 (ETA: this equal only 199 - so my new best 2 are better than this )
    Avg (Less Equip Fail - 6AQT's): 42.5 32.2 35.3 27.5 ... equates to 165 average. ... (it drops to 146)
    High AQT: 191
    Low AQT: 134 (or 54 when the scope moved )
    Avg AQT: 165

third (latest) seed 10/25-10/26: - 7 AQT's - only minor FTF's ... (apparently operator error ... LOL inside joke):
    Best Stage totals: 48 42 39 44 ... (on a side note - these give a 217 total ... but I am glad you have to do it all on 1 piece of paper)
    Avg. Stages: 44.7 36.4 34 36.1 ... equals ... 187.3
    Hi AQT: 201
    Low AQT: 157

I also made notes sheets on all steps of learning ... as review of stuff for me and prep for down the road.
    avg AQT: 187.4

brotherbill3

Master
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Ya'll will have to accept this as the "honor system" of otherwise meaningless AQT's.

So I bought a digital time to practice with (like walmart kitchen type) and after I was finished sighting in my ML today ... I had a few minutes to test it all out ... I managed this:

20141115_165935_zps5auso457.jpg

So so close; knock knock ...
    Still had a feed (just didn't pick up 2x) - issue on stage 3 - only got 9 shots off.
    and I new I dropped the 3rd shot (the 3) in the 3rd from left on stage 4.
    C'est la vie ... but by the time I get back - I'll have "done" it ...

oh yeah ... and the only witness might be the squirrel behind the berm;

but he had his back turned I'm sure.:)::):

hooky

Grandmaster
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    When you eliminate the flyers in the prone stages, especially the final one, you've got a heckuva score. Your horizontal stringing could be trigger control, dragging wood, not following through, etc... or you might be muscling it instead of building a good solid base and finding your NPOA. The vertical stringing could be your breathing control, inconsistent cheek weld or turkey neck, trigger control as above. You are sooo close.

Personally, my big breakthrough was finally trusting that I could build my base in prone where my bones were doing the work, not my muscles.

Keep practicing and don't give up on the fundamentals you've been taught. You're literally about to break through and consistently shoot 220's.

Top Bottom