• ...and so much more!
  • BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I can't recommend this often enough. https://thegca.org/# They are ate up with Garand trivia. I borrow my sons copies as they come in. So I can't nail down the particular issue about the barn stock story and eventual inventory. But if I recall they did about 2 or 3 stories on them. It was a big deal when this urban tale turned out to be true. I usually read the "Journal" cover to cover. Multiple times. Only own one Garand now and try to exercise it around June 6th. It's a 6 digit made in early 1941. Not a beauty queen, but it will do.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well my CMP Special Winnie just showed up and they screwed the pooch on my order! I ordered it in .308 because that's all they had advertised but when I opened the case the tag said 30-06.:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot: Oh it's purty! Guess I should go to work now. . .or the range. Hmmmm. . . . . . . . . .

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I finally stopped messing around and got my first M1 in January. Assortment of Springfield parts, Service Grade from the North Store. Very little wear, exactly what I wanted.
    View attachment 76730

The service grade rifles from what I've seen are typically in very good condition. I was very impressed with my IHC and it had several IHC parts on it so if I ever chose to try to make it all IHC it should come with minimal pain.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Service grade I got last year was a Turk return. Overall good condition. And good shooter. Which is what I was wanting.
    The real treat came when I decided I was not happy with the new stock and went about refinishing it...days turned into weeks, then months.

For anyone who has been thinking about it...do it. Supply is not endless but regret is.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I'll have two CMP guns for people to come shoot at the Revere's Riders Military Surplus rifle shoot. Both were hand picked while I was at the CMP North store in Ohio & are in excellent condition. You don't need to mail order these guns. You can go to either of the two stores and pick one out yourself.

Details for the RR shoot are being finalized now.

Does a person have to be a member of the CMP to go to their store in Ohio and buy a Garand?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Does a person have to be a member of the CMP to go to their store in Ohio and buy a Garand?

You're not really a member of the CMP, but you do have to meet the same requirements whether you buy in person or online. (Proof of citizenship, proof of shooting activity - LTCH works for that, and member in an affiliated organization like Garand Collectors Association.)

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Well my CMP Special Winnie just showed up and they screwed the pooch on my order! I ordered it in .308 because that's all they had advertised but when I opened the case the tag said 30-06.:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot: Oh it's purty! Guess I should go to work now. . .or the range. Hmmmm. . . . . . . . . .

Pictures; or it doesn't exist... :-)

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Here is another lucky find at the CMP South Store.

Two years ago in early May(...before the PI Rifles arrived), in preparation for my annual visit, I had watched the inventory reports and the outlook was pretty bleak. There were no Service, Field nor Rack Grade M1s being reported at all. The CMP had moved to the downsized location. I left my hotel room telling my fiancee that I wouldn't be buying anything this year and that I was just making a quick visit to see the new Store.

When, I walked in the door...there was much buzz from the couple of folks that had come that morning. In the racks, there were about a dozen M1 Carbines which we had been told were all gone. I made quick work of evaluating the carbines and choosing a Service Grade priced at $795.
    0sWW1NI.jpg

It was a National Postal Meter with an Underwood Barrel with exceptional MW and TE readings.
    jqlsWNE.jpg

At the time, I believed the 7/43 barrel to be an arsenal replacement. But, I later learned that NPM did not make their own barrels and that the bulk of barrels were supplied by Underwood.
    twHw9AZ.jpg

The main reason I chose this particular rifle was that the rifle was dressed in a P-U(Pedersen Bros. Wilton, CT) stock which were generally subcontracted by Underwood and it sported a crisp clear SA rebuild cartouche with an equally crisp ordnance wheel stamped on the left side.
    GEgHu5Y.jpg

UP2lu3U.jpg

On that same visit, I also found a Rack Grade HRA M1 that was closer to Field Grade in condition which I also snatched up for the bargain price of $560. Needless to say, when I returned to the hotel from my "I'm not buying anything...I'm just going to look" visit to the CMP, I had some 'splainin' to do. Fortunately, Kathy is a good sport and as long as the bills are paid, she doesn't care what I do with my money.

On a side note, this year ... as I left the hotel for my annual visit to the CMP South Store, I said: "I'm not going to buy anything, I'm just going to look." She just laughed. But this time, I did return empty handed. So, it IS possible.

Conductor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2019
    ANDREWS
    I would love to make a trip to the south store and snag one or two of the Winchester service grades they're putting out. I already have two IHC. I just mail ordered another rifle yesterday, hopefully I get lucky again.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Here's one ... I picked up this Service Grade Winchester at the South Store in October of 2017 while attending a Project Appleseed KD Event at Talladega Marksmanship Park. It was a real mixer with IHC bolt and Oprod, wearing a 3-1952 SA replacement barrel that measured much better than the ME 2 & TE 2 indicated by the CMP Armorer's tag. It was wearing the usual Walnut CMP Replacement stock which are coming on most of the SG rifles. The spray on sealer/stain, the CMP applies, looked dull and dry; but, it is uniform. The rifle was a decent shooter. So, I spent a couple of seasons bringing it to Revere's Riders Basic Rifle events and letting folks shoot it. Letting folks shoot a 75 year old piece of history at the end of the day is always a big hit, especially with the young ones.

Back in August, it spent most of the day in a downpour. The shooters still seemed to enjoy shooting it despite the inclement weather. As Slim would remind us: "Charlie don't care about no rain." Well I reckon, neither does Jean Cantius Garand. I took the rifle home, dried and cleaned her; but, that CMP applied finish was mostly gone.

Over the last several weeks, I hand rubbed a raw linseed oil finish into the stock. I pretty much followed the recommendations I found on the CMP Forum using Garand Gear's 50/50 RLO/Orange solvent and Pure RLO. I applied 5 coats of the 50/50 followed by 5 coats of the Pure RLO. I had intended to go to 12 coats total; but, on number 10, the wood just wasn't taking in any more oil.

I think it turned out pretty nice!

28NLMGG.jpg

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Really like the way that stock turned out.
    I have a field grade that the stock is almost black on from the years of dirt. I've often thought about cleaning it up but I can't bring myself to wipe away all that history

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I stripped the CMP finish, and decided to use Raw Linseed Oil (RLO). Two thin coats of 50/50 mineral spirits/RLO (flax oil from organic section). I let them sit for a day or two, then wipped clean and smooth, then reapplied.
    Next I took the RLO by hand and rubbed it in very, very thick. After 12-24 hours (depending on how the wood looked) I would rub with clean cloth. the next day I would lay it out in the sun...ALL DAY...it would get flipped and set to get sun in all of it. after a 4-5 day sun-tan; it would get another thick coat of RLO, and then back to the wait to wipe.
    the finish came out very nice in my opinion. it is dark but the wood is still the focal point and the sunning actually brought the red out a bit, and let the oil soak in. I did this last summer and do not have the oil seep from the stock I have had/seen before on other oil-only finishes.

Top Bottom