• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Just got the email this afternoon from the CMP that my International Harvester will be back home again in Indiana and on my doorstep Monday morning. Granted, Richmond isn't Evansville, but we did have an International Harvester plant at one time. Hopefully, lady luck is with me and I'll get a nice one with more than just an IHC receiver. An appropriate stock would be a nice bonus, but I know that not all of them are going to have their original USGI wood. I was pretty surprised at how fast they shipped one to me, since the email I received said 60 to 90 days was the estimated shipping time. When I ordered my service grade Springfield, it took 90 days, and my Inland carbine took about 6 months to reach me. So here's also hoping that the guys and gals on back order for one will end up seeing their rifles a little sooner. :)

Anybody else on here spring for one of the CMP Harvesters? I seriously contemplated the drive up to the North Store, but got committed by the wife to attend a wedding the day of the release, so I settled for USPS.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Oh I love hearing about these. Please keep us updated. I want to see pics, and updates on any actions to bring it back to its glory if any are needed.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Congratulations! I too have been pacing like a boy before Christmas. My IHC was shipped today too.

I've been lurking on the CMP forum all week. There are some nice, rare rifles ... and there are some with only receiver and barrel that are original. Luck to us both!

I read yesterday that the building these IHC M1s were made in was used by Republic Aviation in WWII to build P47 Thunderbolts.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I used to own an all original IHC Garand. Did some serious research on IHC Garands with the aid of Scott Duffs book on the post WWII Garands. Seems that not ALL of the IHC recievers were made in Indiana.Per his book, IHC had a horrible time with machinery breaking down and trouble meeting specifications as set forth by the war department. As such Springfield Armory had to step in and actually produce several hundred thousand IHC receivers and ship them to Evansville Indiana where they were then assembled. These SA manufactured receivers (if memory serves me right from the book) were identified with a drawing number on the leg of the receiver whereas an actual Indiana made IHC receiver does not have this drawing number. Duffs book in a wealth of info on the IHC Garand. Enjoy your rifles.

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Joker,

Indeed. Hopefully we'll both be smiling like the Cheshire Cat come Monday. The anticipation is killing me. Glad I rushed out the door to the notary when Orest and company sent the email.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I did the same that Friday. As soon as I got the email, I filled out, printed the order form and walked right over to the post office. I didn't take any chance; I sent the order USPS over night. I am already in the database, so I didn't need the notary. I buy a rifle every year at the South Store while I'm visiting a near by race track. This is the first time I have bought one sight-un-seen via mail order from the CMP. I'm really nervous.

I look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing a range report!

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    All of the old timers on the CMP boards seem to prefer visiting the stores and cherry picking. One day, I suppose I will head up to the North Store and get an M1C or D, but I've had good luck via mail order with my Inland and SA, so with luck, it'll be one of those things that runs in threes :D.

I assume by race track, you mean 'Dega? Always wanted to visit. One day I'll kill a weekend and cross off a visit to the South Store and the track.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Yes, Sir. The Spring Talladega race is an annual tradition. Since 1984, I've been to every one. I learned of the CMP South Store in near by Anniston about 4 years ago. A visit to the CMP is now also a part of that tradition.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Congrats!!! I have wanted a IHC for some time, but other interests took me away with other stuff.....so when these finally came up I wasn't up to date to order by mail, and from the forums sounded like, it was going to be a circus at the N. Store. I'll stay content with my SA and HRA. Post pictures as soon as you get it so I can drool.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I did the same that Friday. As soon as I got the email, I filled out, printed the order form and walked right over to the post office. I didn't take any chance; I sent the order USPS over night. I am already in the database, so I didn't need the notary. I buy a rifle every year at the South Store while I'm visiting a near by race track. This is the first time I have bought one sight-un-seen via mail order from the CMP. I'm really nervous.

I look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing a range report!

I've been pining for an IHC Garand for several years now and had basically given up on being able to acquire one. That being said when I received the e-mail on these being offered I was by no means prepared. So how were you able to get in your order so quick ? I had ordered from the CMP maybe 10 yrs ago, but nothing since.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I've been pining for an IHC Garand for several years now and had basically given up on being able to acquire one. That being said when I received the e-mail on these being offered I was by no means prepared. So how were you able to get in your order so quick ? I had ordered from the CMP maybe 10 yrs ago, but nothing since.

Keeping your data current with the CMP and already being a member of a club. When I bought my first Garand at N. Store my records were up to date for 2 yrs. During that time as long as I was in a club, for me that meant being in Garand Collecters Asscociation, I could order by mail anytime....came in handy when the AP ammo came on sale later. I think when the WRA Garands came available you had to mail order those, probably the same for the IHC.....I got one but just sent mine by regular mail, lucky I got one.....the smart guys sent their letter "Overnight",paid the extra money. like 25.00 and got theirs a lot faster.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Yeah, what DragonGunner said. I make an annual trip to the South Store and it keeps me current in the database.

I keep my membership to the Garand Collector's Association current(...the four magazines a year are well worth the $25 price of admission).

I also spent an extra $19.95 to send it USPS over night and I had the order at the Post Office within an hour of getting the email I had a feeling they'd get more orders than rifles the first day. There were only around 383 of the IHC with LMR barrels.

Here is the email they sent out if any one is interested. I got this Friday May 30th at 11:32:

INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER CORPORATION M1 GARANDS. CMP currently has 511 Service Grade IHC M1 Garand rifles (with LMR barrels) available for purchase. The CMP North and CMP South stores will be allocated 64 of these rifles each. The balance of 383 rifles will be reserved for mail order purchase. Price of these rifles, CMP item number RM1IHCSLMR, is $975 plus $29.95 S&H. CMP also has 384 Service grade IHC M1 Garand rifles that do not have LMR barrels. Price of these rifles, CMP item number RM1IHCS, is $925 plus $29.95 S&H. Please note that the only part on either of these two item numbers guaranteed to be the IHC is the receiver. Purchasers are limited to only one IHC M1 Garand per customer. Mail orders will be accepted immediately until enough orders are received to allocate the current inventory. Rifles will be available at the stores on 5 June, 2014. We do still have approximately 2,000 IHC rifles to inspect and repair and make ready for sale. We expect the next partial IHC release to be in November, 2014, but it may be sooner.

Then on Monday June 2nd at 3:10, I got this one:

SOLD OUT - INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER CORPORATION M1 GARANDS

CMP received many mail orders today for the IHC rifles that were announced last Friday. The CMP will not accept any more mail orders for the IHC rifles. We do still have approximately 2,000 IHC rifles to inspect and repair and make ready for sale. We expect the next partial IHC release to be in November, 2014, but it may be sooner.

Thank you for your support,
    Orest Michaels
    Chief Operating Officer

Last edited:

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    as soon as I got the email saying that CMP was going to accept orders, I printed off an order form from their website using the fillable PDF form, made a quick photocopy of my GCA member card, LTCH, and other required documents, and rushed down to my local credit union. Since I have an account there, they will notarize documents I have which require so, for free. since it has been at least two years since I had ordered from the CMP, I had to have my order form notarized. After about 5 minutes, I had my notarized form in hand and was on my way to the post office. I sent mine USPS Express and it was in the 10:59 Monday morning pile at CMP. I thought about snail mail, and am glad I didn't go that route since they ceased order acceptance at close of business on Tuesday. Most of the snail mailers got put on backorder.

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    On a side note, I wonder if they will have enough to do a second release, as there seem to be a whole lot of folks that are backordered.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    The the OP I hope you get a nice one.

As for what my crystal ball says, watch out on the broker for a flood of IH Garands to hit the block next week.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.
    IHCLogo_zpsef45a59b.jpg

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Just opened my box from the nice folks at CMP by way of FedEx. All I can say is...happy, happy, happy. Pics are imminent.

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    For all the practicing lawyers and judges out there, please forgive me for borrowing one of your torts terms of art. Res ipsa loquitor, the thing speaks for itself. I'm going to try to let these photos of my rifle do just that. I feel like a kid on Christmas. Only way it would have been a grand slam for me would have been an IHC stock instead of what I'm assuming is a U.S.G.I. replacement, but that's alright, I'll take U.S.G.I. replacement over a brand new CMP one, because after all, it is a part of the rifle's history. It looks like when my son gets old enough (20 months right now), he'll be using daddy's SA for trips to the range. This bad boy is mine, at least until I pass them both down to him.

For the more experienced Garand gurus, I apologize if I have erred in regard to the stock (devoid of any markings except for the P pictured), and welcome any input if I have erred.

Also, it appears I neglected to take a picture of the bolt cover, but it is also IHC.

IMG_20140623_104031_277.jpg IMG_20140623_104104_991.jpg IMG_20140623_104151_274.jpg IMG_20140623_104231_782.jpg IMG_20140623_104321_646.jpg IMG_20140623_104407_469.jpg IMG_20140623_104733_504.jpg IMG_20140623_104809_262.jpg IMG_20140623_104837_117.jpg IMG_20140623_104920_238.jpg IMG_20140623_104936_805.jpg

Top Bottom