CNN: Children should get vaccinated. Period.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No to faith. I agree with the gist of what I think you're saying, basically that we kinda have to go with what experts say because we can't all be experts in everything. But I disagree that we should call that faith. Faith is a belief in something without logical proof or material evidence. When we trust "experts" it is often through at least some logical proof or material evidence they present that causes us to believe them. I would say it involves trust, but not so much, faith. To the extent that it is faith, we're probably at least a little full of ****. When we just believe in something, I guess I'll call that tribal for lack of a better term. It's basically side-picking.

To illustrate, we'll pick on global warming/climate change. I've said for years that the vaccine debate and climate debate are very similar in how many people come to believe what they do about it. We pick a side based on our various biases, then choose which experts we believe based, not on the most vigorous logical proofs or material evidence, but mostly which ones confirm what we want to believe. And that's a lot closer to faith than weighing logic/reasoning/evidence from all sides. I'm saying we shouldn't take it on faith. But people do their personal "research", and what they're really doing is looking for "experts" who agree with them. That's an instinctive human behavior that we're better off learning how to override.

It's been my experience that the truth usually turns out to be somewhere in between the extremes. You have to open your mind to either side, and just look at the best arguments each side makes. Look at their reasoning for logical fallacies. Look at the evidence each side presents, look for signs of deception, look for cherry-picking facts. At the end of that all that you reason out for yourself what facts you can determine are true and false, what reasoning is most sound. A good skepticism of "sides" is useful. Because sides look for self-confirmation, reject reasoning based on side-taking. I don't have faith in experts--I don't believe *in* them. They are fallible. Corruptible. Flawed. They're human with all the human triumphs and failings. We can't all be experts, and we certainly can't be experts in everything. We're better off looking at what we can understand about the things experts tell us, and use logic and reasoning to figure out just how full of **** they may be, if at all. And try to pinpoint where the truth is as best we can. THAT's not faith. It's a best reasoned guess.

Where that takes me in the vaccine debate is a mostly centrist take on it. It's obvious from the facts available that most vaccines are relatively safe, and relatively effective for most people. But not all are safe, not all are effective. They're not harmless. Some are more or less safe than others. Flu shot? **** you. I'm not taking that ****. It's not very effective. Not usually all that harmful either, but as ineffective as it is, I'm not participating in that particular industrial complex. Many vaccines seem like a no-brainier in the risk/reward assessment. Reward probably outweighs the risk for those.

But here's where I get a little tribal myself. Vaccines should never be forced on individuals. Convince people with your science the benefits of taking them. In cases of epidemics, I can see society asking unvaccinated people to stay the hell away from others. But **** all the way off in a deep dirty hole in the ground if you say I have to. The people who have faith in forced vaccination should be lined up and fired upon with millions of spitty wads of icky drool laced paper.

I believe trust and faith are almost entirely interchangeable. Not entirely, but they are very close neighbors. One could say that we have "faith" in God, and that there is no expert opinion based upon fact. But that is not true. We are trusting the experts like those who wrote the Torah that they are telling us the truth of what they saw, like the burning bush or the parting of the sea. We trust the experts like Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John (along with others) who are telling us what they experienced. So "faith" in Jehovah or Jesus or the Prophet Mohammad is not based upon nothing, it is "trust" in the people who wrote the texts that they are telling us the truth.

You are right about the tribalism. We all have it. Many people in big cities know of no other narrative than guns are evil and should be banned. They only see the evil perpetrated by criminals using firearms. Their tribe sees no use for firearms ownership. Our tribe disagrees. Our tribes reads an entirely different narrative.

I also agree that skepticism is an extremely useful tool in science and truth seeking. We should always question the premises and the study the logic of any argument. The logic part is somewhat easy. The premise(s) can be much harder. That is why one of the most important steps in science is that someone else (and many someones) can duplicate the experiment and come up with exactly the same results.

But this is where skepticism can take a wrong turn. For example, say a research team comes up with a cure for cancer that is in a pill. They publish a report with their findings. One hundred other laboratories around the world copy the manufacturing of the pill and experiment. Lo and behold, they come up with the same results. So now 500 labs do the same thing with the same results, and no side effects. Skepticism after the first report is completely reasonable. Skepticism after the first 100 is much less reasonable, but still in the "somewhat reasonable" category. However, after the next 500, now it is going into the unreasonable (presuming all findings were exactly the same). After the next 10,000 the skepticism is basically irrational and without any merit, again presuming no observed side effects.

The only place I can tolerate forced vaccination would be based upon two (2) criteria: 1) the worst case scenario for contracting the disease, and 2) the actual effectiveness of the vaccine itself. Say there is a deadly disease like Ebola that mutates and goes airborne. It is 90% lethal and 90% contagious. Say we live in a small, somewhat isolated community of 10,000 people. A vaccine against this strain of Ebola is made that is 85% effective. If ten (10) people leave the community to go to the big city where the disease is known to be rampant to buy necessary supplies and are all exposed to the disease. If none of them are vaccinated because of whatever reason, then nine (9) of them will come back infected and we'll have to worry about containing all of them. If, on the other hand, all are vaccinated then more than likely only one (1) will be infected and there is a 50/50 shot that another person is. The vast majority of the people in the community of 10,000 will be unharmed and whatever outbreak occurs will be manageable due to the smaller numbers of infected combined with ease of quarantining those who become infected. But if only half the town are inoculated then at least 4,500 will be infected and whatever system there is will be overrun, not considering the increased risk of exposure for those who did get the vaccine. In a situation like this then I would understand that the needs of the many outweigh the desires of the few.

However, if the vaccine were truly 100% effective against the new airborne Ebola I wouldn't give as much of a hoot about who gets it and who doesn't, because I and my loved ones would be protected by getting the vaccine.

So I can see a good argument for forced inoculation based upon the above criteria. But not against most diseases, as most wouldn't be as devastating as an airborne Ebola.

Regards,

Doug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’m only going to address the faith/trust issue. We’re mostly in agreement on the rest. I think you laid out cases for what I’m saying perfectly. Belief in god? Totally in the realm of faith. The second example was with the cancer cure. At first there’s really no room for a solid belief in the cancer pill. Such belief would be based on faith. But as the pill’s efficacy gets proven, skepticism should be replaced with a reasoned belief that it’s effective. One never needs to rely on faith, other than people who may be in dire straits and have to try something in the hopes it may work. Faith and trust can be synonymous when the trust is based on faith. If trust is based on logic and evidence, like when study after study confirms the efficacy of the cancer drug, it’s not faith at all. The confidence is based on real results.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    All manner of tyranny can be justified in the name of Public Health or Officer Safety.

Yes. But you acknowledge that there are legitimate public health and officer safety concerns. Of course not every claim of public health and officer safety is legitimate.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yes. But you acknowledge that there are legitimate public health and officer safety concerns. Of course not every claim of public health and officer safety is legitimate.

Wait we're supposed to exercise critical thought and discretion rather than just pick one side or the other?

Seems like work.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    God does what He says and says what He does.
    If big pharma did that you could have confidence in them too.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    All my children are older... they all received vaccinations. In each instance, I read the literature on the vaccine, what it protected against and the risks of the possible side effects. In each case I decided FOR the vaccine as it was in the best interest of MY child. I would advocate each parent doing the same.

As far as putting my child at risk for the benefit of the "herd"? I give zero ****s about the herd.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    All my children are older... they all received vaccinations. In each instance, I read the literature on the vaccine, what it protected against and the risks of the possible side effects. In each case I decided FOR the vaccine as it was in the best interest of MY child. I would advocate each parent doing the same.

As far as putting my child at risk for the benefit of the "herd"? I give zero ****s about the herd.

Really puts your username into perspective now doesn't it...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Why I’m shocked! SHOCKED I tell you. You sound like one of those...those...individualists! <gasp/> :runaway:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Why I’m shocked! SHOCKED I tell you. You sound like one of those...those...individualists! <gasp/> :runaway:

<grin>

And, I would say the it is every other parents' "right" (though I'd more likely term it their responsibility) to do the same for their children, EVEN if they came to an entirely different decision for reasons that are none of my ****'ing business.

Top Bottom