• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    All theory and speculation. However, the links I provided show real historical data that the world population has continued to increase and shows absolutely no signs of slowing.

The links you posted are just as much "theory and speculation" about the future and are based on old assumptions that are proving NOT to be true. It not only "show signs of slowing" but of reversing course. The non-replacement fertility rate is a "sign of slowing." If you don't have young people in their reproductive years around then no one can have babies. That's a biological certainty. That will cause a population decrease as the old die off, a biological and mathematical certainty. Just because that is inconvenient to the Chicken Little crowd doesn't make it less true. The population explosion doomers are just as shrill and dense as the anthropomorphic global warming doomers.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Making it is not easy, but it is made already. All the oil used in deep fryers can be used to make bio-diesel after being used to cook.

The exhaust smells a lot better than diesel too :D

If you're the only guy in town doing it, it could work.

Restaurants don't go through very much oil.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The links you posted are just as much "theory and speculation" about the future and are based on old assumptions that are proving NOT to be true. It not only "show signs of slowing" but of reversing course. The non-replacement fertility rate is a "sign of slowing." If you don't have young people in their reproductive years around then no one can have babies. That's a biological certainty. That will cause a population decrease as the old die off, a biological and mathematical certainty. Just because that is inconvenient to the Chicken Little crowd doesn't make it less true. The population explosion doomers are just as shrill and dense as the anthropomorphic global warming doomers.
    There is absolutely nothing theoretical about raw data.

Screenshot2012-06-13at11206PM.jpg

That's the real population growth of the U.S. It's not a theory and it's not based on absurd studies. It's actual population growth.

Now, show me where we've seen a reversal of the population increase in the real data.

You can't.

As a matter of fact, since 1776 the US has seen a steady increase in its population, not one year has passed where it decreased.

U. S. Population Growth

You have nothing to back up your assertions other than theory. Conversely, I have historical facts and data supporting the obvious - the population continues to grow.

If anyone is "shill and dense" as the global warming crew, it's people such as yourself who insist the growth in population we document year after year really isn't happening.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

That's the real population growth of the U.S. It's not a theory and it's not based on absurd studies. It's actual population growth.

Now, show me where we've seen a reversal of the population increase in the real data.

You can't.

As a matter of fact, since 1776 the US has seen a steady increase in its population, not one year has passed where it decreased.

U. S. Population Growth

You have nothing to back up your assertions other than theory. Conversely, I have historical facts and data supporting the obvious - the population continues to grow.

If anyone is "shill and dense" as the global warming crew, it's people such as yourself who insist the growth in population we document year after year really isn't happening.

Which says NOTHING about the future. If you're going to affect past growth, who are you planning to kill off, Heinrich?

world-population-graph-2050-2100.jpg

The assumptions of high fertility feeding the high estimates are simply not holding true. The more likely scenarios based on current trends are the medium and low estimates. Those estimates show a peak near the middle of this century and then a long decline. The babies have to be born NOW to sustain the high estimates and they're not showing up. Most of the population growth is increased longevity, but those people are entering ages in which they cannot biologically have children. It's simple math and biology. The population bomb doom is hooey.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Again, pure speculation on your part. I post actual data and you post theories.

Not once in the history of record keeping has a year passed where the global, or U.S., population has decreased.

Am I right that our population will continue to grow? I have no idea, but I do have history and factual data on my side which says "yes - it will".

I would be glad to be wrong, but the odds are I won't be.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    You can stop with your sophomoric insults, seriously. Are you capable of having an adult conversation?

Why not tell us your solution to your perceived dystopia? Also, how does past growth tell us anything about current observable trends that have mathematically and biologically certain results? That old, infertile women will not have babies is not a "theory." If your population is made up of a growing percentage of old people who are not being replaced there is going to be a predictable die off. That isn't theory, it's actuarial science. "Always happened that way" is not scientifically sound reasoning when observable trends have changed.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Grow a pair and answer the question. What's your solution to the pressing problem you think you've identified?
    I don't have a solution nor have I proposed one.

You want to pretend there isn't a problem so you can then deny a solution must be found. Burying your head in the sand doesn't help anyone.

How about you "grow" some tact and cooth?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I don't have a solution nor have I proposed one.

You want to pretend there isn't a problem so you can then deny a solution must be found. Burying your head in the sand doesn't help anyone.

How about you "grow" some tact and cooth?

Saying that there is a problem when observable current data and science refutes it helps how? I apologize for never having learned to point out tactfully when someone such as your yourself is talking nonsense. I'll try harder in the future, past performance is no guaranty of future results.

StarKing

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Muncie
    You keep telling yourself that. Cue Kevin Bacon in animal house during the final scene...

Population growth is exponential growth. If you grow the entire worlds population at 4% you will double the population in 18 years. Rule of 72 and all.

We are going to run out of room, resources, and money to pay for everything. Deny that all you want but its truth. Full Auto was spot on.

The money is going to be the issue before natural resources, but both will dry up.

Population growth is logistic - the leading edge of logistic growth looks just like exponential, but true exponential growth doesn't exist in the real world. That minor error leads to all sorts of apocalyptic projections that never actually come to pass. Granted that the turn-down at the peak of logistic growth can be very unpleasant, it is rarely, if ever, catastrophic.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    a lot of the over population problem does come from the welfare state that has been created in certain countries, this is a given.

but it seems like the ignorant and poor are the ones who tend to keep pumping children out regardless of their ability to take care of them. take africa for example on that continent you see different areas/countries with famines and civil wars etc. and the pictures of all the starving children and babies. why in the hell would they keep pumping kids out when there is a famine and you can't feed them? yet they continue to do so.

doing away with the welfare state might help, but i doubt it would help as much as some folks believe. i think we have to deal with the fact that there really are classes of people. i'm advocating slavery or the the caste system but there are indeed classes of people when it comes to thought.

think about it. here in the US planned parent hood and many county health departments will give birth control for free or very low cost all someone has to do is go get them. my guess is that even if welfare was cut tomorrow those people would continue pumping out kids with out a thought, and then **** and moan about their situation.

the key to over population in many ways is education and changing thought patterns. how do we do that? punitive measures wont do it.

jake

StarKing

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Muncie
    a lot of the over population problem does come from the welfare state that has been created in certain countries, this is a given.

but it seems like the ignorant and poor are the ones who tend to keep pumping children out regardless of their ability to take care of them. take africa for example on that continent you see different areas/countries with famines and civil wars etc. and the pictures of all the starving children and babies. why in the hell would they keep pumping kids out when there is a famine and you can't feed them? yet they continue to do so.

doing away with the welfare state might help, but i doubt it would help as much as some folks believe. i think we have to deal with the fact that there really are classes of people. i'm advocating slavery or the the caste system but there are indeed classes of people when it comes to thought.

think about it. here in the US planned parent hood and many county health departments will give birth control for free or very low cost all someone has to do is go get them. my guess is that even if welfare was cut tomorrow those people would continue pumping out kids with out a thought, and then **** and moan about their situation.

the key to over population in many ways is education and changing thought patterns. how do we do that? punitive measures wont do it.

jake

Maybe if the "Progressives" (a misnomer if there ever was one) were not controlling the educational system . . .

StarKing

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Muncie

You can't.

U. S. Population Growth

An average of about 2.58 million per year - how many are immigrants, legal or otherwise?

StarKing

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Muncie
    Which says NOTHING about the future. If you're going to affect past growth, who are you planning to kill off, Heinrich?

world-population-graph-2050-2100.jpg

The assumptions of high fertility feeding the high estimates are simply not holding true. The more likely scenarios based on current trends are the medium and low estimates. Those estimates show a peak near the middle of this century and then a long decline. The babies have to be born NOW to sustain the high estimates and they're not showing up. Most of the population growth is increased longevity, but those people are entering ages in which they cannot biologically have children. It's simple math and biology. The population bomb doom is hooey.

I would point out that the high estimate here is extremely unlikely, even with no attempts at population control due to the availability of phosphorus in the biosphere. In terms of its abundance in living things vs its availability from the biosphere it is the rarest critical element for life. It has been estimated that there is insufficient phosphorus to support a human population much above 10 billion (plus the other life forms necessary to provide for that human population). Among the symptoms of severe phosphorus deficiency is infertility. Not exactly catastrophic, but it would top off the logistic (not the fictional exponential) population growth rate.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Whenever I read of someone calling for population reduction utilizing extreme measures, it seems that they assume it will be "someone else". If there was a serious plan put in play, I doubt if there is anyone here that would not be directly affected. If one was fortunate to survive the initial cut, one would surely "qualify" at some point. Can anyone remember the movie "Logan's Run"? Renew... Renew... Renew...

Top Bottom