• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh! I understand what you're saying there...

SIDEBAR: How did steam locomotives get around that? Different grade of steel for the grate in the firebox?

Water pulling the heat out of the fire box in the stem generating cycle. Without the water they would melt down or explode.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    that and water would keep them cooler so to speak...

Water pulling the heat out of the fire box in the stem generating cycle. Without the water they would melt down or explode.

Interesting. Somebody had to figure that out at some point. Not one I would want to learn by trial and error!

Saw a story on Fox59 about the locomotive that still runs near Ft. Wayne. It's been talked about here on INGO. The engineer said "it was the Space Shuttle of the time. It was the best technology man could come up with." Cool stuff.

But I threadjack...

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Interesting. Somebody had to figure that out at some point. Not one I would want to learn by trial and error!

Saw a story on Fox59 about the locomotive that still runs near Ft. Wayne. It's been talked about here on INGO. The engineer said "it was the Space Shuttle of the time. It was the best technology man could come up with." Cool stuff.

But I threadjack...

oh yes stream engines are bad ass!!!!!!.......there alive!!!!!!!!

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    thanks alot guys, ive learned from what you have said, it is funny that alot of poeple know about coal burning but i think only one person said they do burn coal. it must really be out of style, i really like the old pot bellies which burn fuel on a shaker grate. that is what coal requires. im not an expert on coal but really looking into it.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Oh! I understand what you're saying there...

SIDEBAR: How did steam locomotives get around that? Different grade of steel for the grate in the firebox?

You control the temperature with the water/air cooler and blowers. You let it get too hot, and you can jack the temp up to about 11k degrees F. Without a good stoker and rollers, this can cause a hot spot to generate in the steel very quickly, and then you'll blow the firebox. In the case of a steam engine, the temperature of the coal is not everything, yet it IS everything. Confusing, I know. You find that sweet spot that maximizes flue gas temperature and longevity of the coal. That way you minimize the amount used, and maximize flue gas output. This in turn makes the steam as it heats up the water. The next thing is what operating pressure you are working at on your steam. The higher the steam temperature, the higher the amount of work done....you just have to balance that with the coal usage.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You control the temperature with the water/air cooler and blowers. You let it get too hot, and you can jack the temp up to about 11k degrees F. Without a good stoker and rollers, this can cause a hot spot to generate in the steel very quickly, and then you'll blow the firebox. In the case of a steam engine, the temperature of the coal is not everything, yet it IS everything. Confusing, I know. You find that sweet spot that maximizes flue gas temperature and longevity of the coal. That way you minimize the amount used, and maximize flue gas output. This in turn makes the steam as it heats up the water. The next thing is what operating pressure you are working at on your steam. The higher the steam temperature, the higher the amount of work done....you just have to balance that with the coal usage.

Finesse. The best way to run anything.

Top Bottom