• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm for both.

Politics blocked both, and is getting out of the way for one. Let's get politics out of the way for the other and let the market decide.

If you have not seen this you should....It's a pretty good film and straight forward with the facts...

[video=youtube;bDw3ET3zqxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDw3ET3zqxk[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If one really thinks that man is making dangerous climate change, I don't know how that same person could rationally be against nuclear.

...unless control is more important than climate change.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Bringing back some jobs in the coal industry will have some benefits to the unemployed in the short run - but what is really killing the coal industry is not the environmentalists. Simple logic dictates that the evolution of natural gas exploration and the subsequent discovery of vast areas of gas fields in Texas, Louisiana, the Gulf, and other locations has resulted in the glut of natural gas in the U.S. As a result, The U.S. is expected to reach energy self sufficiency within the next two years. Coal will still be needed for coal fired generation to supply electrical energy in the short run, but many, if not most, coal plants are being converted to combined cycle operations and with natural gas prices predicted to remain historically low for the distant future, coal will not be the primary fuel for electric generation.

If the US can figure out a way to compete with foreign steel then coal may regain some semblance of market share. Until then, short term gains in the coal industry will be only that - short term gains.

I don't think the price of power generated per KW-hr for gas turbines is as low as coal-fired plans yet.

I'm also unconvinced that current technology gas turbines can be run long term the same what you can keep a coal-fired boiler and steam turbine running indefinitely for decades. Maintenance costs for the gas turbines has to play a huge role.

I'm for both.

Politics blocked both, and is getting out of the way for one. Let's get politics out of the way for the other and let the market decide.

REPORTED!

If one really thinks that man is making dangerous climate change, I don't know how that same person could rationally be against nuclear.

DOUBLE REPORTED!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Basically yes. Limestone is ground up to a fine powder, mixed with water to make a slurry, the slurry is sprayed into the smoke stack exhaust stream as a fine mist. As the flue gases pass through the mist, a chemical reaction occurs which removes the sulfur dioxides and trioxides and forms a precipitate that collects at the bottom in a catch basin. The precipitate is essentially a chemically pure form of gypsum. The synthetic gypsum is then sold on the open market with the likes of USG and National Gypsum purchasing it to make wallboard. The development of this technology was a big win for everyone. Cleaner air and water (sulfur dioxides and trioxides make acid rain) and a useful, saleable end product. Here in the Hoosier State, the whole process is essentially self contained. Indiana coal, Indiana limestone, used in Indiana generating stations, and the synthetic gypsum sold to Indiana wall board plants (USG and National Gypsum in Shoals, Indiana for example).

Yep. East Chicago too.

I think this is happening at the NIPSCO gen plant in Wheatfield also

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Basically yes. Limestone is ground up to a fine powder, mixed with water to make a slurry, the slurry is sprayed into the smoke stack exhaust stream as a fine mist. As the flue gases pass through the mist, a chemical reaction occurs which removes the sulfur dioxides and trioxides and forms a precipitate that collects at the bottom in a catch basin. The precipitate is essentially a chemically pure form of gypsum. The synthetic gypsum is then sold on the open market with the likes of USG and National Gypsum purchasing it to make wallboard. The development of this technology was a big win for everyone. Cleaner air and water (sulfur dioxides and trioxides make acid rain) and a useful, saleable end product. Here in the Hoosier State, the whole process is essentially self contained. Indiana coal, Indiana limestone, used in Indiana generating stations, and the synthetic gypsum sold to Indiana wall board plants (USG and National Gypsum in Shoals, Indiana for example).

I think some companies use the coal ash itself for wallboard.

I think this is happening at the NIPSCO gen plant in Wheatfield also

See above. Many years ago I did industrial cleaning, that plant was one of the ones I worked at, when I was working there I was told the fly ash was being used for wallboard.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm for both.

Politics managed to block one, we're still building coal plants. I guess out of work uranium miners don't have the same clout?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

What's not rational about everyone riding bicycles to work and living in yorts? LMAO!

img_5938a.jpg

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think some companies use the coal ash itself for wallboard.

See above. Many years ago I did industrial cleaning, that plant was one of the ones I worked at, when I was working there I was told the fly ash was being used for wallboard.
    Looks like it is used in cement.

I don't know of any used in wallboard. At least not in our plants.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I didn't know this. Thanks for posting.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Politics managed to block one, we're still building coal plants. I guess out of work uranium miners don't have the same clout?

There are legal and regulatory roadblocks to nuclear well beyond the mining issues, but yes, I would think there are orders of magnitude fewer uranium miners than there are coal miners.

Top Bottom