• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Ijust got one, and it has a 26 inch full choke barrel. Its a older gun but in new condition.
    I was reading another post on this site about shooting slugs though full choke guns.
    My club wont allow shooting shot shells at the backstops, but now allows shooting slugs.
    After reading the other posts Ive went and bought some Winchester rifled slug hollow points, and Im thinking about trying them out in the morning.
    Im kind of worried though, I really dont want to ruin the barrel on this cool old gun.
    What do you all think safe, or not?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Most slug boxes specifically say that damage or even death can result if firing in anything other than a shotgun made for slugs or the minimum of an I.C. bore. Check the box...

I wouldn't attempt it. Find a cross reference to see who made the 410. Buy a rifled barrel / I.C. choke barrel from that company. Shoot to your desire!

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    It is a Mossberg pump, made for coast to coast hardware stores. Its rare in my area to find a pump 410 shotgun for sale, let alone find just a barrel with screw in chokes for sale.
    I will have to find another place to let my grandkids shoot this gun with shot shells. Ill see if I am allowed to shoot the gun at the cowboy town range at my club. It would have been easier to let them shoot at the rifle range though, using my own target stand,and target, but that is not allowed.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    shooting a foster-type slug through a full-choked .410 will be just fine. almost all .410s are fixed full-choke barrels. ammo manufacturers are well aware of this fact, and size .410 slugs accordingly.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. My Winchester boxes of super x rifled slugs, dont say anything about what choke should be used.
    It say use only in firearms in good condition with markings exactly matching ammunition.
    The good news is that I shot the gun this morning with target loads , and it worked fine.
    I also got permission to shoot at the rifle range, if I use my own target stand, so thats great news.
    Now that I know the gun works fine , and after what Ive read from you all, next weekend Ill try out the slugs.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My coast to coast was a Savage, I think model 30. I needed a spring and Gun Parts Corp directed me to the Savage drawings and the part fit perfectly. I really enjoyed that little gun. It was well made.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Is yours a 410 Leo? Im just going on what the previous owner said. He also said he has a Mossberg 410 that was identical to the coast to coast, except the forearm. Mine has the corn cob style. This gun seems very well made also. Maybe I need to look up the model 30.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes sir, .410. It had only a single slide arm off of the corn cob shaped forearm. Mine was excellent shape except I had bought it from Fetla's and they had taped a big price tag to the stock. The adhesive from the tape ate the stock finish from the right side.

We would have challenge nights at the trap club, where we would shoot with .410's. You better be fast and EXACTLY on the bird. There is not much shot left in the pattern by 40 yards. Lots of chipped birds, very few exploded ones. Lots of fun.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Thanks for the info Leo, mine also has the single slide arm. As for markings on the gun it says coast to coast stores, under that it says Master Mag, and 410ga.
    model cc660. I did look up the model 30 in the gun trader guide. It looks a little like it ,not very good pictures though. the connector from the barrel to the forearm metal
    looks different. Ive also read some where else that this model cc660 gun was made by Mossberg, so now I really dont know. But either way its a great little gun, and will be shot alot.

Top Bottom