• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Acme, SNS, Blue Bullets, Black Bullets International, etc. I am considering going to coated bullets for reloading. Anyone have experience with any of these? Pros and Cons of any you have loaded? Any experience with Alliant Sport Pistol powder? Best load data for coated bullets? I really have asked alot here but would appreciate any info you all could pass along.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    SnS in .45 and .38 spcl work great when loaded as if they were plain lead Bullets. I’ve had great accuracy with both in a 1911 and S&W 686 respectively. Clean barrels are another plus. And last but not least I love the lipstick red color. LOL

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    SnS in .45 and .38 spcl work great when loaded as if they were plain lead Bullets. I’ve had great accuracy with both in a 1911 and S&W 686 respectively. Clean barrels are another plus. And last but not least I love the lipstick red color. LOL

Thanks bgcatty. SnS has been in the lead. I did a price check today and they are slightly less per round than all the others. I considered buying a sample pack for $9.00 for 100 but they wanted $8.50 shipping. That is the same shipping cost for a lot of 1000. I still have about 1000 X-Treme plated to load up before I make my move so I will wait until I get a little closer but doing my homework now in preparation.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I load Falcon Bullets for 9 mm. I really don't have anything to compare them to since they are my first coated lead bullets for me. My nephew shoots 10's of thousands of rounds per year shooting USPSA competitively. And before he went to the dark side, he was rising up the ranks in IDPA.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I’ve tried a few brands of coated bullets and a shot bunch of ladder tests with various powders for 9mm.
    In MY gun, Precision 125gr flat points over Sport Pistol or Power Pistol gave the best individual and overall average groups.

https://precisionbullets.com

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have tried SNS, Blue, Black as well as some others (Bayou are really good too). All worked equally well for me, so I tend to pick the ones that are at the best price. I have been using mostly Black Bullets as of late due to the great results they provide and the good prices (free shipping as well for bulk orders).

I have also tried Sport Pistol for my .40 loads, and really liked it after my initial testing, but never really had the time to go back and fine tune things (looking for accuracy, COAL, etc.), so I have continued with my old WST standby for .40 for now, but I think that Sport Pistol holds a lot of promise, and when I have some free time (!!!) I plan on digging more deeply into the Sport Pistol world. I really loved what I saw...

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I shoot with about a dozen people on a weekly basis. Both I and the group have used SNS and Blue Bullets as well as Eggleston. I've primarily stayed with SNS because I prefer the consistency of the plating and how it looks. Several years ago, we had issues where SNS 115 gr 9mm bullets wouldn't chamber in several M&P pistols, although they would in others. That seems to have been resolved lately, and we have had no issue with their 147 grain bullets at all.

In the past, the blue bullets coating came off on my fingers, both during reloading, and feeding magazines. It seems they have changed their plating so it doesn't rub off. I'll likely be changing to them when I need to re-order as we can get then slightly cheaper.

I've used both TiteGroup and HP-38 powder with my reloads. Although most of the group uses Titegroup, I've been moving away from it as it seems to cause the coating to smoke more than a slower powder. Not sure the HP-38 is that much better, but I've got 8 lbs to go through so that's what I'm going to use for a while :):

--Rick

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Old thread but seemed the best place to ask about experiences with more noticeable smoke using SP in 9mm. 3.2 grn SP with 147 grn SNS coated FN seems a bit smokey. Upped to 3.3 and no noticeable diff. (5" barrel)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I love coated bullets I load them to jacketed velocity with no problems.
    I use mostly
    https://hoosierbullets.com/
    I also use

You will find Hard Cast coated bullets are hard to beat, and very easy to clean your barrels.
    I only usually notice powder fouling, I haven't seen any lead fouling when using them.
    I've even loaded up 180gr .430 bullets in my 44mag at 1750fps.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    I love coated bullets I load them to jacketed velocity with no problems.
    I use mostly
    https://hoosierbullets.com/
    I also use

You will find Hard Cast coated bullets are hard to beat, and very easy to clean your barrels.
    I only usually notice powder fouling, I haven't seen any lead fouling when using them.
    I've even loaded up 180gr .430 bullets in my 44mag at 1750fps.
    1750fps, that's bookin' it! Yea, use coated exclusively for 9mm. SNS & ACME mostly (those wooden boxes are handy, lol). Never noticed the smoke cloud from Sport Pistol powder before, until I was watching a GoPro video of a recent match. Seemed more than other shooters. Not a big deal, just curious if something wasn't dialed in. Crono'd about 900fps, right in line with Alliant's SP data.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    1750fps, that's bookin' it! Yea, use coated exclusively for 9mm. SNS & ACME mostly (those wooden boxes are handy, lol). Never noticed the smoke cloud from Sport Pistol powder before, until I was watching a GoPro video of a recent match. Seemed more than other shooters. Not a big deal, just curious if something wasn't dialed in. Crono'd about 900fps, right in line with Alliant's SP data.
    31.5gr H110 does wonders with a 180gr bullet out of a 6.5" barrel.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Amen there. Enjoyed me some 44 mag back in the day, freehand. Dang, 21 yrs ago?!, time flies faster than those 180 grains!
    View attachment 232548
    Now for dad I load 10gr of CFE Pistol under the 180gr coated hard cast. In his Ruger New Blackhawk it's velocity is around 1175 fps. He's 79 now and likes a less powerful load. It's about like a 45colt shooting a 180gr bullet. In the Blackhawk it's very mild.

Edit:
    These are what I'm loading now. I got a bunch on sale pre covid.

Last edited:

SEH0521

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jun 18, 2020
    Jackson County
    I've been using SP for a few years @ 3.2 gr with 147 gr www.hoosierbullets.com coated. Chrono average 905 fps; range one High @ 915 & one Low @ 895; all others between 900 and 910 (10 in that sample). 4" barrel. I don't mind the smoke and enjoy the aroma.

Also load Hoosier Bullets 230 gr coated .45 ACP. The data is not handy but I remember the chrono average of 10 shots @ 860 fps.

I recently bought some 44 mag Hoosier Bullets I intend on loading this fall/winter. Curious to see the performance. Ruger SBH 10-1/2" and an H&R single shot 22".

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom