• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I picked up a couple of unfired rounds at the range, pulled them & noticed this:

2023-10-14 19.04.24.jpg

Expand your bell and/or get one of the Dillon compatable powder funnels Hoosier Bullets recommeds.

As seen in photos, you will end up with barrel leading. Seating the bullet has scraped off all the coating/lubricant & has bare lead against the barrel.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    WOW, I think I'd notice if mine were scraping that bad, would leave shavings/chips of coating when seating.

My first batch of 45acp I didn't quite bell enough and got some minor scraping but quickly sorted that out.
    Those look like the same Summit City ones I have.
    summit_45.JPG

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I used to see that (but to a much lesser degree) with coated bullets. I switched back to copper and all is well. The extra 2-3 dollars per 500 bullets is worth not doing that to your barrel.
    I'm with you. I cast and coat myself. But with company's like Rocky Mountian selling 124 grain 9mm jacketed at under a $100 bucks a thou delivered. Thats what my sons shoot most of the time.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    WOW, I think I'd notice if mine were scraping that bad, would leave shavings/chips of coating when seating.

My first batch of 45acp I didn't quite bell enough and got some minor scraping but quickly sorted that out.
    Those look like the same Summit City ones I have.
    View attachment 305481
    We shot thousands of S C bullets over the past few years. Never a problem, with loading coated I flair hard and then finish with a Taper Crimp.
    We've been very satisfied with loading and shooting his bullets.

Last edited:

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    I'm with you. I cast and coat myself. But with company's like Rocky Mountian selling 124 grain 9mm jacketed at under a $100 bucks a thou delivered. Thats what my sons shoot most of the time.
    I've been purchasing from Xtreme. They are event less than Rocky Mountain and I've got no complains on their quality or shipping.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Been using them for years without issue in multiple handgun calibers.

Extremes are plated? How is accuracy compared to Berry's? I have been loading berry's for years in 9mm and at 25 yards or less, they seem fine. Lately, I have been loading up some of their 220 gr 300 BO bullets and they are OK but not great.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Extremes are plated? How is accuracy compared to Berry's? I have been loading berry's for years in 9mm and at 25 yards or less, they seem fine. Lately, I have been loading up some of their 220 gr 300 BO bullets and they are OK but not great.
    I spend about 5 more bucks a thousand for 9mm 124 grain jacketed bullets from Rocky Mountian. Free ship with Rocky.

If I was going to load 220's in blackout I would just cast them.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Good advice. Some coated bullet manufacturers include instructions on belling the case mouth more and not using too tight of a crimp. I've followed those instructions and don't get leading in my .45 ACP or 9x19 caliber barrels. Accuracy seems ok out to 25 yards. I never had any luck with plated bullets, as far as, accuracy. I don't like cleaning copper fouling out of barrels either. Some companies coat their bullets better than others too!

Last edited:

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    Not sure the difference between plated vs jacketed. In my simple caveman speak: they are coated in copper somehow and when I load, I don't see it scrape off and expose little bits of lead like I do when using coating.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Not sure the difference between plated vs jacketed. In my simple caveman speak: they are coated in copper somehow and when I load, I don't see it scrape off and expose little bits of lead like I do when using coating.

Plating is super thin - a couple thousandths I think. Much more susceptible to tearing than an actual copper jacket.

Top Bottom