• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Interesting thing, they were in the case extremely tight.
    One on the right I believe was a squib but it didn't move out of the case. Primer was dimpled & bottom of bullet was smoked, no powder dropped out of that one when pulled.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Interesting thing, they were in the case extremely tight.
    One on the right I believe was a squib but it didn't move out of the case. Primer was dimpled & bottom of bullet was smoked, no powder dropped out of that one when pulled.

I would guess whoever loaded it missed the powder charge entirely.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I loaded thousands of blue bullets over the years. Pulled a few for various reasons. They came out clean with the coating intact.

As said, give it sufficient bell and then crimp to remove the bell plus a touch. I can't recall sitting here what I crimped to but it was a measurement that I periodically checked.

Oh, DR, those weren't mine. Mine are blue. :)

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    With 9mm, you don't really even need to crimp. You just need to remove the flare. Here is an article I saved a while back on reloading plated bullets - i think it applies to coated ones as well.

Attachments

• Loading-Plated-Bullets-1.jpg
      Loading-Plated-Bullets-1.jpg
      994.5 KB · Views: 20
    • Loading-Plated-Bullets-2.jpg
      Loading-Plated-Bullets-2.jpg
      544.2 KB · Views: 19
    • Loading-Plated-Bullets-3.jpg
      Loading-Plated-Bullets-3.jpg
      550.6 KB · Views: 18
    • Loading-Plated-Bullets-4.jpg
      Loading-Plated-Bullets-4.jpg
      431.1 KB · Views: 18

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I picked up a couple of unfired rounds at the range, pulled them & noticed this:

View attachment 305467

Expand your bell and/or get one of the Dillon compatable powder funnels Hoosier Bullets recommeds.

As seen in photos, you will end up with barrel leading. Seating the bullet has scraped off all the coating/lubricant & has bare lead against the barrel.
    Those almost look oversized for .356. That's some pretty heavy gouging.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    We shot thousands of S C bullets over the past few years. Never a problem, with loading coated I flair hard and then finish with a Taper Crimp.
    We've been very satisfied with loading and shooting his bullets.
    This is the ticket. I do the same and no problem.

OP it looks like you are not flaring them enough and are scraping off the coating as you seat the bullet. I've recovered Hoosier Bullets I've used with the coating on them. Except where the impact was..

Next time I shoot I'll try to remember to recover one or more and post some pictures.

I'm using 147gr SC .356 bullets and 180gr .401.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    This is the ticket. I do the same and no problem.

OP it looks like you are not flaring them enough and are scraping off the coating as you seat the bullet. I've recovered Hoosier Bullets I've used with the coating on them. Except where the impact was..

Next time I shoot I'll try to remember to recover one or more and post some pictures.

I'm using 147gr SC .356 bullets and 180gr .401.

These were range pickup, not my loads.

Posted to hopefully help anyone having this issue.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I picked up a couple of unfired rounds at the range, pulled them & noticed this:

View attachment 305467

Expand your bell and/or get one of the Dillon compatable powder funnels Hoosier Bullets recommeds.

As seen in photos, you will end up with barrel leading. Seating the bullet has scraped off all the coating/lubricant & has bare lead against the barrel.

Well, whoever loaded those rounds has obviously found the only reloading manual extant that recommends seating bullets with an "interference fit".

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll post this about powder coating having some familiarity with it. Cured and simply fused powder coating look the same, but perform very differently. Depending on the chemistry you have to get it up to a certain temperature and then hold it there for a specific amount of time. Skimping on heat or time can provide you with a product that looks and feels the same but is very different. Back in the day of liquid paint you didn't see this as wet paint is much more obvious than undercured powder.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Plating is super thin - a couple thousandths I think. Much more susceptible to tearing than an actual copper jacket.

THIS. Plating will powder along with the lead when it hits steel. Plated is MUCH safer to shoot steel because you dont have sharp shards of copper flying back at you.

Yangos45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2021
    Dyer
    I can only imagine what the inside of his seating and/or crimp die look like. Must be packed with lead and pc shavings

Top Bottom