• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hope this is OK. Didn't see a post before this one.

Thanks for reading,
    Dan Coats

Dear Friends,
    For years, the administration and Congress have talked about the need for a bold plan to restore our economy and strengthen America, but the President has failed to move beyond words and actually engage. So every week, I head to the Senate floor to urge the President to step up and lead. I urge him to work with Congress and act on a serious, long-term deficit reduction plan that will put our country on a path to prosperity. I urge him to deliver on his vow to reduce unsustainable deficit spending so our children and grandchildren will have promising opportunities, rather than a future burdened with debt.
    This week, the President invited me and some of his other fiercest critics to dinner for a face-to-face discussion on the economy and how we can work on a credible debt reduction plan. While I have spoken repeatedly about the need for action and highlighting lessons Washington can learn from Indiana to get its fiscal books in order, I don’t expect the President is turning on CSPAN every time I head to the Senate floor.
    So this dinner provided me with a unique opportunity to look the President in the eye and tell him why I feel his tax, spend and borrow policies are failing. It allowed me to directly carry a message from Hoosiers that we need to stop spending money we don’t have.
    This outreach to fiscally conservative Senate Republicans was long overdue by the President. It was a much-needed adult conversation following months of political posturing and campaign tactics that have taken the place of constructive debate. I appreciated the invitation, but as we all know, talk can be cheap. The onus is now on the President to take real action and show leadership.
    Digging out of our nation’s $16.5 trillion debt will not be easy. Fixing Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security to preserve them for future generations will take courage and political will from both sides of the aisle. Overhauling our outdated and unfair tax code will demand Congress and the administration work together in the same way President Ronald Reagan proved possible.
    There is no doubt that the challenges we face are difficult, but America has seen greater challenges before and we have risen to the occasion. The time is now for Congress and the administration to act. It will require presidential leadership and recognition that the root of our fiscal problem is out-of-control government spending.
    I returned to public service for one reason: I want to be able to tell my children and grandchildren that I fought and gave it everything I had to provide a stronger and more prosperous America for them. This is the same commitment I made to the Hoosiers I am honored to represent. I will continue this fight, and I hope you will stand with me.
    Sincerely,
    Dan Coats

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    You should have seen his post on Facebook. Complete lip service: he said "I support senator Paul..." Yet, he literally did not.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I can't help but see what is conspicuously absent: A specific plan to accomplish any of these things Coats is complaining about Obama failing to do. As well as any of us could come up with a reasonable plan with our limited resources, with an office staff that theoretically exists for more purposes than answering phones, I fail to understand why he cannot get that job done and be perceived as a leader rather than a whiner. Obama does not own the monopoly on responsibility for problems (although one could make a sound argument that he IS our number one problem).

Edit: You two gentlemen type and/or think faster than I do! You are right. If he would attack national problems as viciously as he attacked that lobster we would be much better off, but then again, what can we expect from an establishment hack?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As far as the typical, old-school GOP congressmen go, the "new" Coats is OK. But the Rand's, Cruz's, and Lee's are showing there's a better way. Here's hoping they don't lose their souls while in DC.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As far as the typical, old-school GOP congressmen go, the "new" Coats is OK. But the Rand's, Cruz's, and Lee's are showing there's a better way. Here's hoping they don't lose their souls while in DC.

I have confidence. They have in themselves a mutual support group. That is of immense value.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If i remember correctly, Coats voted for the first assault weapons ban of '94...so beware!

So did Lugar, and Danny saw what happened to Dick (even if it took far too long). I am with you that he warrants being watched VERY closely even if he has been issued a stern warning in the fate of his former colleague.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    When the president only gives 7 minutes to meet with republicans, and you get a chance to air your grievances, you take it. If Coats can look the president in the eye and realize he's being lied to, it will only strengthen his resolve. I understand Rand was making an important stand, but it was philosophical in nature. Coats was getting boots on ground intel. Both are important.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    The gist of My reply back to him....so Dan, you went to a dinner to discuss options and talk of how we can fix the economy? Who paid for the dinner? When will you people wake up to the hypocrisy you continue to support? My job will be to remind Hoosier voters of these foibles when you are up for re-election.

Man they pu$h my buttons. How stupid do they think we are? VERY apparently....

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    When the president only gives 7 minutes to meet with republicans, and you get a chance to air your grievances, you take it. If Coats can look the president in the eye and realize he's being lied to, it will only strengthen his resolve. I understand Rand was making an important stand, but it was philosophical in nature. Coats was getting boots on ground intel. Both are important.

How do you get boots on the ground intel when you are talking to a liar? Coats is just about as bad as Obama in my book and I can't wait to vote against him!

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I can't help but see what is conspicuously absent: A specific plan to accomplish any of these things Coats is complaining about Obama failing to do. As well as any of us could come up with a reasonable plan with our limited resources, with an office staff that theoretically exists for more purposes than answering phones, I fail to understand why he cannot get that job done and be perceived as a leader rather than a whiner. Obama does not own the monopoly on responsibility for problems (although one could make a sound argument that he IS our number one problem).

Edit: You two gentlemen type and/or think faster than I do! You are right. If he would attack national problems as viciously as he attacked that lobster we would be much better off, but then again, what can we expect from an establishment hack?

Lol at the lobster crack. Nice. :):

If you ask me (I know, nobody has), the plan is so simple that it should be implemented automatically without even the need for a vote: they're spending trillions more than they have to spend. Stop it. Cut spending, starting with taking a piece out of any and all legislative measures that have been enacted since our budget first went into the red.

What they've been doing for decades amounts to a citizen max'ing out all their credit cards and then forcing their employer to give them a raise, so they can continue to spend more and more.

*We* are the government's employers, and it just boggles my flippin' mind how many US citizens are perfectly ok accepting the shaft from their employees.

Hell in a handbasket, I tell ya'...

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Coats clearly is for a free market economy and the 2A. This puts him at odds with those Rand Paul et all oppose.

The enemy of your enemy is your friend.

Now, perhaps Coats is clinging to an approach that has not been profitable, but that doesn't make him an enemy to you if you're pro 2A and free market.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Coats clearly is for a free market economy and the 2A. This puts him at odds with those Rand Paul et all oppose.

The enemy of your enemy is your friend.

Now, perhaps Coats is clinging to an approach that has not been profitable, but that doesn't make him an enemy to you if you're pro 2A and free market.

He still hasn't done anything to decisively redeem himself for voting in favor of the 1994 AWB. With friends like him, who needs enemies?

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    We did hire them.

Here's a suggestion: stop ALL foreign-aid until the budget is balanced, our troops are financed and defended, and Social Security is again sound. STOP ALL FOREIGN AID. Maybe pay for Israeli intell assistance, etc., IF there is something in it for us. And we MUST seal that southern border, and deport all illegals. Not ONE more LEGAL immigrant unless TEN ILLEGALS are turned in for deportation! Those honest "mexicans" (generic) would soon find all of the hidden illegals who are keeping their own folk from coming to America. Our social fabric and safety net would soon get in good repair again. And there is NO SUCH THING AS ANY "ANCHOR-BABY." A child born in the U.S. to illegal parents is an illegal. Check the law.
    Lol *We* are the government's employers, and it just boggles my flippin' mind how many US citizens are perfectly ok accepting the shaft from their employees. Hell in a handbasket, I tell ya'...

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

Agreed. He had a chance to push his agenda directly to the president. How much good will it do? Who knows. IT was a chance worth taking.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Here's a suggestion: stop ALL foreign-aid until the budget is balanced, our troops are financed and defended, and Social Security is again sound. STOP ALL FOREIGN AID. Maybe pay for Israeli intell assistance, etc., IF there is something in it for us. And we MUST seal that southern border, and deport all illegals. Not ONE more LEGAL immigrant unless TEN ILLEGALS are turned in for deportation! Those honest "mexicans" (generic) would soon find all of the hidden illegals who are keeping their own folk from coming to America. Our social fabric and safety net would soon get in good repair again. And there is NO SUCH THING AS ANY "ANCHOR-BABY." A child born in the U.S. to illegal parents is an illegal. Check the law.

Here's a reality check: none of that will happen so... If Sen Coats gets even a few things moved in the right direction, I would call that a win. The problem with your way of thinking is the all or none concept. The Liberals are winning the long war because they have been happy with small victories; 3 steps forward 2 steps back. The "conservatives" have no long term strategy and since fixing everything all at once is not ever going to happen you end up only taking the 2 steps back.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I would go along with this with the exception of cutting aid to Israel which gave up something of value in exchange for the aid they receive (thank you very much Jimmy).

Top Bottom