• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phishb0y

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    Where I work has an opprotunity to be trained as a mainframe developer. They pay for te training and upon successful completion hire you. It is a whole new field to me. I am proficient on computers, but nothing on this level. Looking for any wisdom or input

Thanks
    Phishb0y

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    I went to school to program and the main classes we HAD to take were COBOL developing. It is not too overly complicated, but that language has been dying off for years. For what it's worth, after many months searching for a job doing that, I ended up scrapping it and taking a job doing hardware support. That was 15 years ago though. I say if they're going to pay for the training and then hire you, I'd read the fine print and not expect that if COBOL is the only language you know, that you may not have many options if you want to leave.

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    A job's a job .. Learn all you can learn. COBOL is still a great language for business applications .. reporting in particular. If it seems like an opportunity to you, go for it. The more you know, the more salable you are.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Jeez, COBOL was on the way out when I learned it in college 20 years ago. I know it's still used in a lot of legacy financial systems though. Still, if they're paying for the training, do it!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Jeez, COBOL was on the way out when I learned it in college 20 years ago. I know it's still used in a lot of legacy financial systems though. Still, if they're paying for the training, do it!

This! Learning a programming language will teach you how to program. You can then learn a new language more easily in the future if/when COBOL is phased out.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I've worked in IT for over 20 years (ABAP SAP development mostly). I work for one of the leading global IT providers (300K+ employees). I haven't seen any real need for COBOL since the Y2K scare. Just isn't necessary anymore and I don't think it's valued in the industry.

If you want to get into IT, learn the ERP platforms (SAP, Siebel, Oracle, JD Edwards, etc). Even if you learn COBOL first, you'll end up having to learn something else to create value for yourself. Just start with value instead.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    go to Ivy Tech and take C+ C# Java... get certified, write your own paychecks... (Java is a biggie)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    go to Ivy Tech and take C+ C# Java... get certified, write your own paychecks... (Java is a biggie)

I think you missed the part where his company has offered to train him for free in the specific application that they need and are willing to hire him for the job following the training.

Going to Ivy is still good advice, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Top Bottom