Code enforcement 'officer' enters sleeping woman's house to tell her to mow lawn

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LTygress

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Just saw this in an internet search and wanted to thank you all for the support on this.

Just to clarify a couple of things, I had a roommate that had left earlier in the day and left the door unlocked. So I actually had no idea it was unlocked. Secondly, we are filing a lawsuit against the county for not only hiring him with a record, and not just for him entering a house while working for the county, but also for the county essentially refusing to file charges against him when he CLEARLY broke the law, as well as violating my fourth amendment rights.

Rumors have swirled about WHY he entered the home. But criminal trespass in GA does NOT require intent to be proven. So there was no reason NOT to charge him, criminally.

And as of now I have moved out of the county and in with my sister about 2 hours away. The house is being rented out now until I get the lawsuit settled and figure out what I can or want to do with it. Clearly, I'm not going to live in it ever again. And while I do regret not having a weapon in this instance, keep in mind that he said absolutely nothing (no shouting "hello", etc.) as he walked THROUGH the house. So I had no idea anyone was there at all until he was already completely in my room. That being said, I would have had no time at all to respond, if he had any intentions of doing harm directly to me. I was in the military and shot 40/40 regularly, but by the time I get a gun from a night stand, turn off the safety, aim, and pull the trigger, he would have been on me, and I'd have no chance at all.

But again, thanks for the support! A lot of people have chosen to nit-pick about my life and the condition of my yard, instead of thinking about the bigger problem here, so it's reassuring to read things like this!

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    :welcome: 2 :ingo:

You were certainly wronged, and I, for one, hope you get every ounce of redress out of this guy and the government that employed him that you can possibly extract.

Happy to be a small part of publicizing your ordeal that it may not be repeated to anyone else.
    tip-of-the-hat.png

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Regardless of any landscaping issues, there are many that support your side against the improper actions (illegal IMO) of the poorly vetted employee of the local county administration who violated your personal space by entering the premises uninvited or unannounced.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    And while I do regret not having a weapon in this instance, keep in mind that he said absolutely nothing (no shouting "hello", etc.) as he walked THROUGH the house. So I had no idea anyone was there at all until he was already completely in my room. That being said, I would have had no time at all to respond, if he had any intentions of doing harm directly to me. I was in the military and shot 40/40 regularly, but by the time I get a gun from a night stand, turn off the safety, aim, and pull the trigger, he would have been on me, and I'd have no chance at all.

You would have a better chance of hearing intruders if you leave your doors locked, which would require the bad-guy to break something to enter. At least there would be a loud noise before the stranger made it to your bedroom. Stay safe out there.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You would have a better chance of hearing intruders if you leave your doors locked, which would require the bad-guy to break something to enter. At least there would be a loud noise before the stranger made it to your bedroom. Stay safe out there.

From her post:
    "Just to clarify a couple of things, I had a roommate that had left earlier in the day and left the door unlocked. So I actually had no idea it was unlocked."

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Being a suburbs dweller I have always locked my doors and hopefully some day will move to the country. I understand your roommate and left the door unlocked.

You are lucky to have caught it on camera, I will you well in your legal pursuits.

Working at a lawfirm I have come to the conclusion that the law benefits those who have personal and financial resources by a susbstantial margin.
    The saying "Its who you know" is about as true as you can get.

LTygress

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Also, just an FYI... I had actually recently LOST my job prior to this entire issue coming up, and the lawnmower needed repair. So that's why I hadn't mowed the lawn (nor paid anyone else to do it), and obviously the cameras were purchased before the job loss as well.

But the neighbor who made the original complaint about the grass (instead of offering to help with it) has also started to harass the new person who lives there. He made a false statement to animal control about her dogs being allowed to run loose in the neighborhood. So it's likely that the neighbor will be going under the microscope for a lawsuit as well. The new resident is going to request the open records to find out WHO made the complaint. Updates may be given once she receives that.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Also, just an FYI... I had actually recently LOST my job prior to this entire issue coming up, and the lawnmower needed repair. So that's why I hadn't mowed the lawn (nor paid anyone else to do it), and obviously the cameras were purchased before the job loss as well.

But the neighbor who made the original complaint about the grass (instead of offering to help with it) has also started to harass the new person who lives there. He made a false statement to animal control about her dogs being allowed to run loose in the neighborhood. So it's likely that the neighbor will be going under the microscope for a lawsuit as well. The new resident is going to request the open records to find out WHO made the complaint. Updates may be given once she receives that.

Welcome to INGO

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll go out on a limb and say that I speak for everyone here on this issue. We couldn't care any less if your lawn was seven feet tall. Nothing excuses the actions of the idiot and the later actions of the people in charge.

Top Bottom