• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    So, what does every one use to design the Courses Of Fire? I use SketchUP and seems to to work pretty well. Not perfect, but saves some time in setting up the COF before the match.

Steve

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Do you have a grid or template that you use to 'locate' the targets on? The reason why I ask is that I spent some time setting up a COF and I didn't follow my "distances" closely and wasted some time trying to figure out why I wasn't getting the same "shooter's picture" as I did in Sketchup. I then re-looked at the 'distances' and then things started to line up for me.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I usually dont get that specific in sketchup. Usually just an idea for me so I know what goes where when I get the range and start setting up. Once things are in place,things get tweaked as needed to avoid stage problems. plus, depending on what bay it gets put it, shots may get longer or shorter. the shorter they are, the more likely I am to paint hardcover or put up a NS.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So, what does every one use to design the Courses Of Fire?

pencil. paper.
    sometimes those only get used to document the stage after I've built it.

I keep saying I'll get better about doing some good sketch ups and going to the range w/ more of a plan, but hasn't happened yet. Those rare occasions where that has happened, I've just used power point.

-rvb

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I use a combination of paint, word and power point. I have a power point file that has some targets and other props, and then I paste them into paint where I draw (using the term recklessly) the stage. I then copy and paste it into word for the stage briefing.

Sketch up does some impressive looking diagrams and I would like to learn how to do it, but that has to be put off until at least January.

I think for the match you need written stage briefings in place and on hand. I have heard horror stories from other states where this does not happen.

I am not an artist and cannot draw very well at all. I just try to get the concept on the paper so we can set it up quickly at the range and usually we can do that.

I think the stages at this years state match will be really close to the pictures with one serious exception.

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I think for the match you need written stage briefings in place and on hand....

I have to admit I do use Word to do the descriptions. But this is after I mess around with the COF in Sketchup. Sketchup doesn't do too good with text, but excellent with drawing it up and forming a course.

If there is a way to share files, I'd be glad to post one...maybe someone could post theirs - and yes we could copy off of each other...:)

Steve

Top Bottom