• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    This might be some old tradition or it might only be for the crazy intense coffee drinkers out there that want to maximize their flavor or whatever the reason, feel free to share! :ingo:

WHY DO YOU PUT THE COFFEE IN THE FREEZER?

If you don't put your coffee in the freez or fridge but in a cabinet next to the coffee maker (conveniently placed). Then you are like me, but my wife has gotten this crazy idea that she want to start putting it in the freeze... She is the one that drinks it, i seldom drink it so what ever. Just wondering why thats all. Maybe there is a cool chemistry to it that totally makes it better and i have been missing out all these years! :dunno:

And feel free to add to the chain here what kind of coffee you drink and how often; to give me some credibility on the source :D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Don't put it in the freezer. Coffee is Porous. It is exactly this feature that allows you to flavor coffee beans. For this same reason, coffee can also absorb flavors and moisture from your freezer.
    Keep it away from moisture. Absorbed moisture will deteriorate the natural flavor of your coffee and make it taste like your freezer.
    Store it whole bean, not pre-ground. Grinding the coffee breaks up the beans and their oils, exposes the beans to air, and makes the coffee go stale a lot faster (no matter how you store it). The instant oxygen mixes with the gasses in the beans, it starts to go bitter. This is why you grind them RIGHT BEFORE brewing. Don't let it go longer than five or so minutes.
    This especially holds true for flavored coffees.
    For the best tasting coffee, buy your beans whole and store them in a sealed container in a dark place . And remember, grind right before brewing.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Don't put it in the freezer. Coffee is Porous. It is exactly this feature that allows you to flavor coffee beans. For this same reason, coffee can also absorb flavors and moisture from your freezer.
    Keep it away from moisture. Absorbed moisture will deteriorate the natural flavor of your coffee and make it taste like your freezer.
    Store it whole bean, not pre-ground. Grinding the coffee breaks up the beans and their oils, exposes the beans to air, and makes the coffee go stale a lot faster (no matter how you store it). The instant oxygen mixes with the gasses in the beans, it starts to go bitter. This is why you grind them RIGHT BEFORE brewing. Don't let it go longer than five or so minutes.
    This especially holds true for flavored coffees.
    For the best tasting coffee, buy your beans whole and store them in a sealed container in a dark place . And remember, grind right before brewing.

Sounding like a bit of a coffee snob there Annie :) Be careful......they always told me drinking coffee would put hair on my chest!

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I drink Foldgers Columbian. I buy the largest "can" I am able to find (2lb,2.5 oz) (Used to be a 3lb can). It lasts me 13 days if I'm lucky. It really doesn't have time to "go bad".

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I only buy as many freshly roasted beans as I consume in a week. After that it's stale as far as I'm concerned no matter what you do. If you're buying ground coffee from the store, it's stale on day 1 (imho). You can stock up on bread and freeze it if you want. Coffee? Never. The only way to stock up on coffee is buy green beans and roast your own.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Some of you are hardcore coffee-ers. I would mention that the only coffee i ever drink is starbucks frappachino, but instead i'll just sit here and sip on my Dr. Pepper.

Top Bottom