• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Looks good! What kind of finish are you planning on? If you plan on using a satin finish I suggest a coat of high gloss then a few coats of satin. that will add depth to look.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Looks good! What kind of finish are you planning on? If you plan on using a satin finish I suggest a coat of high gloss then a few coats of satin. that will add depth to look.

I am doing Minwax Jacobean with a satin polyurethane.

I'm not familiar with that method, i may look into that.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Happy to answer questions and will continue to update.

tiretrack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    our side o the wire
    Very nice work. Do be aware of the addictive nature of producing quality finished projects. First affordable furniture is inadequate, then houses that you look at must be improved or worse yet started from scratch. Friends fade away to provide more hammer time, range time gets put off till this project is done. The next build is already brewing in the back of your mind.....Alas ,welcome to the dark side

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    It's a trap! Although that is very nice, if that is all you get her for Christmas you will be in deep :poop:
    It depends on your partner. My wife is great about saying what she wants, and isn't a fan of surprises.

Although in this case the drawers do provide an opportunity of concealing some extra surprises

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Well you have officially screwed the pooch, you have demonstrated an ability to build things. Now you have time to build some custom book cases, an entertainment center, coat rack, hall mirror and so forth, the list will keep growing.
    Here is a link you might find useful. Kreg Owners' Community

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Started staining today. Kind of worn out, so I'll get pictures up next time I work on it.

Thanks for the kind words all!

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Okay so I stained recently and was just too lazy to post pictures. I pretty much knew it before, but I confirmed, that I really don't like staining. It's messy and overall kind of a pain. Problem is....the finished product with stain looks sooooooooo much better than any kind of painted finish.

Pardon the slightly washed out pictures, the only workspace I had was right underneath a florescent light fixture. I had to move my base of operations into the basement so the stain could dry in a more constant, warmer, temperature.

First coat of stain. I hadn't gotten the entire table coated at this point. It's a much bigger surface than I've ever stained before. In case anyone forgot I am using Minwax "Jacobean" wood finish.

raxjpg.jpg

A little closer look at the grain after the full first coat. It looks surprisingly good for cheap non-milled standard 2x2.

212hfyh.jpg

Decided to do the insides and sides of the drawers because I wasn't careful when I stained the faces. A lot of bleed over and overall sloppy look prompted a complete staining. Realistically, I am happier I went this route though.

14vu1yb.jpg

Only went with one coat of stain on the insides of the drawers because I really just wanted to cover up the bleed over that came off the faces. They will obviously be covered most of the time anyway, so I didn't feel like spending more time on staining.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    After the second coat the table looks much nicer. It evened out the finish and darkened it up a bit more. Looks kind of rustic but still elegant IMO.

3520sps.jpg

Another, closer, look at the grain, after the second coat. Unfortunately, there isn't much grain on the 3/4" plywood top, but it is still finished nicely.

33af3bn.jpg

Overall, I am pleased with how it's turning out. As I said in previous posts, some parts aren't quite as square and level as I would like, but those are really things that only I will pay any attention too. I did have an almost major issue in the form of a paper thin strip of grain, about 4 inches long, peeling. Whenever that particular 2x2 was cut/milled, it was cut along a portion of grain that turned almost paper thin. I guess between sanding and staining, the edges of the grain in this spot started lifting.

I pondered over what to do for the better part of a work day, and came up with a plan. Since the lifted edge wasn't lifted enough to get wood glue underneath effectively, I decided to cut the loose portion of grain and peel it completely off. This ended up working perfectly. I was able to effectively glue it back together, and after clamping it for most of the day, it really isn't noticeable.

Next up is finishing with satin polyurethane, probably starting Tuesday. The stain in some areas was still slightly tacky (I think the grain in some areas was kicking some of the stain back). I was going to poly today, but I figured I better be safe than sorry, and let the stain fully dry over the course of a few more days. The basement doesn't have the best ventilation for staining so I have a fan running on low to help circulate the air, along with the exhaust fan of a nearby bathroom.

Will definitely be good to start poly on Tuesday. I will post better pictures, using my Nikon D40, when it's done, since my cellphone does not give the stain justice at all.

Stay tuned, she's almost done!!!

Last edited:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    That's a sweet table! Nice work!!

:hijack: time...

When I was a senior in high school I decided I was smarter than everyone in my shop class and didn't want to do the stupid projects they were doing, so I told the teacher I wanted to build a coffee table. He said if I buy the materials and show him some plans I could use the shop. My dad had a cool painting that I thought would be neat in the middle of a table so I told dad the idea. I loved it so he and my uncle helped me design it. This is the result:

1910225_514102931764_4567_n_zps88477cf0.jpg

1910225_514102936754_3888_n_zps3778968a.jpg

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    TEASER!!!!!!

2u7rkva.jpg

Last coat of poly, on top, is drying. Better DSLR pictures coming soon!!!

Thanks to all who have been watching!

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    The crappy cellphone pictures didn't do it justice at all.

28usgmt.jpg

35id8gl.jpg

ifztig.jpg

The other side. The far left drawer on this side isn't as good as the others but it functions fine and isn't really noticeable.

2rws21t.jpg

1znvfrk.jpg

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Other side.

Nice view through the top and middle.

29xdi6s.jpg

317856t.jpg

The drawers are completely removable, since I didn't use any tracks or slides, so they don't support themselves pulled out past this point. You can see the finished insides though.

w9te36.jpg

Really pleased with how well the knobs I picked out match the finish.

I also had mentioned I wanted to sign it and maybe even put Made in America somewhere on it.

So I did just that. Whipped up on Word with a random image I found, then hand signed by me, and Modge Podged to the bottom underneath the middle drawer on one side.

6zrfw7.jpg

25tg6xi.jpg

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Beautifully done, sir! The staining really brought out more from those 2x2's than I had thought it could. My compliments on the whole build. That coffee table ought to last at least 1 lifetime, probably more--WAY better made than the vast majority of crap being sold as furniture nowadays.

:yesway::yesway::yesway:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    All wrapped and ready for Christmas!!!

2i8c5g4.jpg

I will officially let her see it tomorrow, that is, unless she creeps on this thread again.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention she creeped on this thread and spoiled the surprise :xmad:

So provided she doesn't creep again between tonight and tomorrow night, she will get to see the finished product.

I have a few surprises hidden in the drawers that she doesn't know about though.

This project has been pretty fun. I learned quite a bit. The Kreg Jig is pretty much a must have for any work like this. Also, I still need to be more patient at times and make sure everything is lined up, clamped well, etc.

The table turned out great IMO. There are some areas, (albeit not very noticeable), on it that are going to bother me for eternity, but I suppose that's part of any project.

Thanks for following along everyone! It's been fun!

:ingo: :ingo:

Top Bottom