• ...and so much more!
  • anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    avoid it

THe only thing I like from cold steel is their boar spears. The rest is junk. I had a san mai trailmaster that I had to give away. THe steel does not hold up well to simple tasks like making firesticks, batoning wood etc.. Buy a busse (or bussekin)for a fixed blade or for a folder zero tolerance (from Brads Knives here on INGO). My two cents... Ive gone through quite a few knives in the past few years to find my grail knifes and those two are the ones in those categories..

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I have an SRK in stock for sale. I am not a big fan of cold steel but to each their own. I can give you a great deal on it if you pm me.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I vote save your pennys and buy an ESEE. Some people have 451 reasons cold steel is cool and I say its a free country to each his own. Buy what you like from who you like. For me a great knife like ESEE from a great gal like Knife Lady You cant go wrong. And the ESEE will hold more of its value and be up to anything you throw at it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The SRK is a good knife for what it is (sharpened pry bar). At the time it was brought the market, it was a good choice if that was what you wanted. It was among the first (perhaps the first) knives intended to replace the venerable Ka-Bar, which isn't the most rugged knife in the world. In my opinion, it doesn't make a lot of sense to dismiss a good tool because the guy who markets it is a d*****bag. He didn't make it and it's unlikely he designed it or spec'd the materials and other details. You may not want to buy it because he's a total d*****, but that doesn't make the SRK (at least the older versions) any less than what they are.

The same is true of the original TrailMasters. Those were not only made of a good carbon steel with a good heat treatment (the first of the "Carbon V" iterations), but it was also the first production knife with a convex/Moran-style edge that the market had seen in many years. I have an old "Teton Bowie" that was made in (probably) the same factory in Seki, Japan that's made of AUS-8A and shares the same lines and convex edge.

Top Bottom