• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    There is no starting a "frenzy of hate".....clearly some people can't let things go that are way in the past, and it gets tiresome listen to their hate.....haters will continue to hate.

No you didn't state that Demko was the first, but you clearly stated that Demko invented the Wave and made it sound like Emerson didn't....it was very misleading.

For the record....the lock back design was around long before Walker invented and designed the liner lock design in the 80's. Locking blade knives have been dated as far back as the 15th century...... the Navaja design from Spain dates back to that time frame.

Agreed that my verbiage could be / was misleading. My apologies. I simply meant that Demko has his own patent for a self opening knife, with the added advantage of having an attached thumb disk. I know there were locking folders centuries ago, but this was long before patents, and you cited Mr. Walker. Since he invented/ pioneered the modern locking folder are all others a rip off ? I don't think any rational person would say that other variations of a folding locking knife would be a rip off of it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    What are you referring to as "what he did"?

You know exactly what he did or you wouldn't have singled him out of all of the custom makers that I listed and asked if he was in a position to have an opinion about honesty and business practices....I'm done answering your baited questions.

Last edited:

dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    You know exactly what he did or you wouldn't have singled him out of all of the custom makers that I listed and asked if he was in a position to have an opinion about honesty and business practices....I'm done answering your baited questions.
    You won't answer the question asked by Fargo, nor will you answer mine. You say Mick Strider should be forgiven for his past mistakes, yet here you are starting a thread casting stones at Cold Steel. It sounds like you have the same mentality as Lynn. It's ok for me to use the word virtually, but not CRKT. It's ok for Mick Strider to have misleading business practices, but not Lynn. I guess only the people you like get a second chance.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't know what Mick Strider did, nor do I care to look it up. I think Brad's point is that he is willing to give someone a second chance if they change their ways. I'm betting he would do the same for Lynn Thompson. The difference is that what Thompson is doing is current, and not in the past.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You won't answer the question asked by Fargo, nor will you answer mine. You say Mick Strider should be forgiven for his past mistakes, yet here you are starting a thread casting stones at Cold Steel. It sounds like you have the same mentality as Lynn. It's ok for me to use the word virtually, but not CRKT. It's ok for Mick Strider to have misleading business practices, but not Lynn. I guess only the people you like get a second chance.

Mick Strider served in the military, he lied about being special forces congratulations this is decade old news. Since the bladeforums meltdown Mick has apologized and made no mentions of being in the military since then, it is not even mentioned on his own website. Mick has made knives bought by the US government and even given NSN numbers they are so popular with the military, not a single military member I know that is aware of Stider knives cares about what happened they care that they make a dependable product that works.

Strider has never made a foreign produced knife and tried to pass it off as an American made product, not now not ever. Now if this were 10 years ago or so then everyone would be casting stones at strider, but strider has not made any transgressions lately only Cold Steel has by filing an frivolous lawsuit against another very well respected knife company.

Oh and on the saying Brad has the same mentality as Lynn Thompson, that is a direct insult to one of the most respected members on this forum. As many people on INGO will attest to Brad is one of the best people around, and will bend over backwards to make someone happy. Brad is a very good personal friend of mine and I take the accusation that he has the mentality of Lynn Thompson as a direct affront to his moral character.

dilligaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Just south of Heaven
    So a guy that lies about his military service, saying he is an elite operator, to build up a business is ok ? He brought shame to those that actually served in that upper echelon, and now has a successful business due to lying about it. Also he is a convicted felon. There are loads of info on his past deeds.
    As far as being foreign produced, show me a Cold Steel knife that misrepresents where it is made. They all clearly state on the blade what the country of origin is.
    I meant no personal insult to Brad. My apologies to both you and him. But is is wrong to forgive one and chastise another. The thought process is similar.
    I'm not saying Cold Steel is right is this suit, but what they are doing is perfectly legal.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

The only reason I won't answer Fargo anymore is because it is apparent that his sole purpose of posting is to stir the pot, and contribute nothing of value.

As far as your statement about different locks, I won't disagree with you on that. I knew long before this discussion took place that Demko had his patent for pocket opening the blade. I only jumped in on that part of the thread (your post) to make it very clear that Emerson had the original pocket opening blade patent and design. Emerson came up with the concept (using the pocket to deploy the blade), which should not to be confused with the design. Not once did I accuse or say that Demko or Cold Steel stole and used Emerson's design. Demko used Emerson's concept and came up with his own design. There is enough difference between the two designs that both men received patents. This is were the confusion lies with people....the difference between the concept and the design. Just like your different blade lock analogy, the concept is to get the blade to lock, but there are many different designs/ways to achieve it.

So a guy that lies about his military service, saying he is an elite operator, to build up a business is ok ? He brought shame to those that actually served in that upper echelon, and now has a successful business due to lying about it. Also he is a convicted felon. There are loads of info on his past deeds.
    As far as being foreign produced, show me a Cold Steel knife that misrepresents where it is made. They all clearly state on the blade what the country of origin is.
    I meant no personal insult to Brad. My apologies to both you and him. But is is wrong to forgive one and chastise another. The thought process is similar.
    I'm not saying Cold Steel is right is this suit, but what they are doing is perfectly legal.

While I can't defend what Mick Strider did because I agree, it was shameful. The big difference between Mr. Strider and Mr. Thompson is, the Strider incident happen about 10 years ago and Mick learned from his mistakes, and has since been a strong contributor to the knife community, and our armed forces. Lynn Thompson has never learned, he has been ruffling feathers since he started Cold Steel and still continues today.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The only reason I won't answer Fargo anymore is because it is apparent that his sole purpose of posting is to stir the pot, and contribute nothing of value.

As far as your statement about different locks, I won't disagree with you on that. I knew long before this discussion took place that Demko had his patent for pocket opening the blade. I only jumped in on that part of the thread (your post) to make it very clear that Emerson had the original pocket opening blade patent and design. Emerson had the original concept (using the pocket to deploy the blade) which should not to be confused with the design. Not once did I accuse or say that Demko or Cold Steel stole and used Emerson's design. Demko used Emerson's concept and came up with his own design. There is enough difference between the two designs that both men received patents. This is were the confusion lies with people....the difference be the concept and the design. Just like your different lock analogy, the concept is to get the blade to lock, but there are many different designs/ways to achieve it.

While I can't defend what Mick Strider did because I agree, it was shameful. The big difference between Mr. Strider and Mr. Thompson is, the Strider incident happen about 10 years ago and Mick learned from his mistakes, and has since been a strong contributor to the knife community, and our armed forces. Lynn Thompson has never learned, he has been ruffling feathers since he started Cold Steel and still continues today.

You brought Mick Strider's credibility into this thread by using his authority to bolster your argument (which incidentally I agree with). What I don't understand is why you are attaching your name to a convicted felon with a history of being sued for false statements, and whose convictions is one of a crime of dishonesty while armed with a weapon.

My questions were in not to stir the pot, but rather to figure out if you were someone I had an interest in doing business with.

That question has been answered.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I guess we don't want to bring in the 1/2 of Strider Knives into this conversation? Duane Dwyer is a bad ass. He can grind a mean assed knife. I will never hesitate to enjoy a cold beverage with any of the Strider group or EKI company at Blade, The Gathering or any other knife show I frequent but I am a self proclaimed knife snob. I am biased. I said it. I am a Usual Suspect. ( <- Add toxic green waste colorization here)

Lynn used to be respectable. I used to buy his products (the CS knives I have are 1st production run that were gifts). His marketing and use of law suits reminds me of a snake oil salesman of days of past. I will not associate with him at any time in any way / shape / fashion /etc. I'm over it. There comes a time when to quit playing legal wrangling games and let your product(s) stand for themselves.

He does employ some good marketing strategists tho. Free product CDs. Heck, he even penetrated Walmart. http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/19336503/cold-steel-kobun-knife-reviews/reviews.htm
    Has a nice website.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    attachment.php

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You brought Mick Strider's credibility into this thread by using his authority to bolster your argument (which incidentally I agree with). What I don't understand is why you are attaching your name to a convicted felon with a history of being sued for false statements, and whose convictions is one of a crime of dishonesty while armed with a weapon.

My questions were in not to stir the pot, but rather to figure out if you were someone I had an interest in doing business with.

Yes lets jump to conclusions about how awesome Brad is to do business with over Mick Strider.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    See, here's my thoughts, I like Strider knives because they're well made quality knives, not because of a history of where it started that I've never even heard of. On the other hand, most of cold steel stuff I've laid hands on is a copycat crapshoot of like three other knives made by a guy who seems full of **** on a regular basis, and Brad, you got my business as much as possible

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't give a crap about Mick Strider or Lynn Thompson.

I do care about Brad Hyde.

Brad is an honest, ethical, and honorable businessman.

He delivers high quality products that meet the advertised claims. His prices are excellent.

His customer service is the best I've ever experienced.

I trust him and I will continue to do business with him. Plus, I like him.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

Pound sand. Anything that Mick Strider has done in his past has absolutely nothing to do with Brad, and you are a certified internet troll. Brad is a stand up dude, and I dare you to find someone that has dealt with him directly to say something to the contrary.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I guess we don't want to bring in the 1/2 of Strider Knives into this conversation? Duane Dwyer is a bad ass. He can grind a mean assed knife. I will never hesitate to enjoy a cold beverage with any of the Strider group or EKI company at Blade, The Gathering or any other knife show I frequent but I am a self proclaimed knife snob. I am biased. I said it. I am a Usual Suspect. ( <- Add toxic green waste colorization here)

Lynn used to be respectable. I used to buy his products (the CS knives I have are 1st production run that were gifts). His marketing and use of law suits reminds me of a snake oil salesman of days of past. I will not associate with him at any time in any way / shape / fashion /etc. I'm over it. There comes a time when to quit playing legal wrangling games and let your product(s) stand for themselves.

He does employ some good marketing strategists tho. Free product CDs. Heck, he even penetrated Walmart. Cold Steel Kobun Knife Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products - Walmart
    Has a nice website.

:thumbsup:

What's funny is most people don't realize that Dwyer owns more of the company than Mick. I've bought quite a bit of their stuff over the years, and have yet to be disappointed by it's service. I don't buy it because of Mick, I buy it because I know it won't fail me. And if I'm buying it new, it's going to come from Brad or Sheila because they are simply the best.

I'm kind of in the same boat with Cold Steel. I remember the days where most companies were still making bowies, and CS was coming out with some really cool designs inspired by stuff all over the globe. I've always had an affection for martial arts (Kung Fu, Bruce Lee, hell,.... even the Ninja Turtles :laugh:), so it was cool to see someone making karambits and persian styled blades. My biggest problems with them though, is they don't actually make anything, other than their advertising pieces. And the videos are so tacky with the chubby red headed ninja chopping meat filled cowboys boots in half, or attacking balloons with a Claymore :mallninja: I also think for what they cost, you can buy something made with better materials that is not being imported out of the 3rd world.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Pound sand. Anything that Mick Strider has done in his past has absolutely nothing to do with Brad, and you are a certified internet troll. Brad is a stand up dude, and I dare you to find someone that has dealt with him directly to say something to the contrary.

I have something bad to say about Brad: he is an enabler. He offers really high quality knives at fantastic prices. Then, as if that weren't enough, he is really nice! It's too much to handle, and the temptation to satisfy the urge to throw budget to the wind and buy knives is almost too much to handle. It's diabolical what he's doing.

Top Bottom