• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    What, non electric, ways folks have used to keep their tents warm during cold weather/winter camping?

Outside of a sleeping bag of course :-)

Any innovative ways you have used to keep yourself warm?

SolidSnake99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Lowell, IN
    I used to do a lot of snow camping in scouts. I spent several weekends outside where the temp didn't go above 32 for 48 hours.

Snow is a very good insulator. Pack it around the sides of your tent up over the edges. It will keep the wind from going under your floor.

Layers... the general rule is 2 layers under you for every 1 layer over you. obviously the more the better over and under.

There is more that I can't think of at the moment... Pretty tired.. But those are the 2 biggest ones.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Also heard about the heated Nalgene bottles as well.Never really considered trying it but I will have one with me so I think I'm going to try this one out. Boil up some water prior to crashing for the evening. :-) Good tip.

I like the snow as insulator idea as well. Just depends what is on the ground this coming weekend. I'll keep it in mind.

Rep all around on the comments received thus far. Keep the good ideas coming !

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    heat rocks in fire, let red hot rocks cool for 15 minutes, wrap them in towel or blanket, put at your feet, will still be warm in the morning.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I'll give the rocks a shot as well. I have multiple ways to start a fire so I might as well have a few options on keeping my shelter hot too :-)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It doesn't heat the tent per se, but the single most important thing you can do (which you probably already know) to stay warm is to get up off contact with the tent floor by using a sleeping pad underneath you.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Rockhopper.. You know until today... err um yesterday... umm whatever.. I didn't really think about the advantage of the sleeping pad... When I was putting my gear together for my upcoming trip I ruled out the pad because, at the time, I was only equating the pad to a comfort item... Only keeping the rocks and sticks from giving me a great night sleep... However I'm very glad I did more reading today and remembered that the pad is also an insulator. Especially right now the cold ground is going to suck the heat right out from under me. Great point. A simple concept that is easily forgotten.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Interesting ideas. I remember the few times I did go camping when it was cold I took off my boots and my belt and got in the sleeping bag. I still had everything on. I was pretty warm and slept pretty good considering.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    @ Lucas I will have several layers on and plan to sleep in most of them :-)

PS - I'm far from normal..Very Weird guy here :-) Last of our debt besides the house will be done this year... Was a 3 year effort but we are already reaping the rewards!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Actually, depending on your bag, more than 1 layer is not good, most bags now, at least synthetic bags, are designed to best work when you have only 1 layer on. They are designed to reflect heat inward, and the more layers you have on, the less heat they can reflect.

I know it sounds funny, but seriously, look into it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Change your uinderwear before bed, not in the morning. Sweat and oils accumulate during day, even if you're not sweaty.
    DON'T overdress at night
    Wear a comfortable hat. Your head is sticking out of the insulation.
    Have a decent sleeping bag.
    Don't have a BIG tent. The more airpace, the less your body can keep the air warm.
    Layers under you.
    Be careful if you try the rocks. Heated objects might melt synthetics.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You don't need hot rocks in your tent or sleeping bag to keep warm. Who the hell wants to be lugging around hot rocks wrapped in anything when it is cold, windy and dark and you're just trying to go to bed?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] There are three ways to lose body heat. Keeping them in mind will help you be much more aware of what you are or could be doing to keep your body warm. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RADIATION - The emission of body, especially from the skin areas exposed to the elements. A good set of gloves, hat, and scarf can help best in keeping bare skin to a minimum.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CONDUCTION - The absorption of cold by the body when sitting or laying on cold ground, or handling cold objects such as metal cooking utensils and metal canteens. This is why a decent sleeping pad is required for cold weather camping. The same goes for wearing gloves. A camp stool is a must on a winter camping trip. Try not to sit on the ground.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CONVECTION - The loss of body heat due to wind blowing across unprotected body parts. This situation can also be reduced by keeping bare skin covered with hats, scarves, and gloves. It is important to keep exposure to a minimum, ESPECIALLY in a windy situation. Convection heat loss can reduce body heat the fastest. Wet clothing will accelerate this process, making staying dry even more important. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Never should you sleep in the same clothes that you have worn all day. They are damp and will cause you to chill. This could cause frostbite and hypothermia. It is advised that you bring a thick pair of sweats and thermal underwear to sleep in. Keep the thermals and sweats for sleeping in only. Do not wear them during the day, this will keep them the driest. Also be sure to have a couple of layers of wool or heavy thick socks on as well. Always sleep with a stocking hat on your head.

Your sleeping bag needs to be a winter rated bag. Typically rated down to 15 degrees and stuffed with 5 pounds of Holofil, Fiberfil, or other polyester ticking. You can add about 20 degrees to your bag by simply double bagging your winter bag with a summer bag inside it. It is also a very good idea to have some kind of sleeping mat to use in the winter. The mat can be a $90 Thermal Rest or a piece of high density rubber foam at least one inch thick. In cold weather camping you never want to sleep on an air mattress or off the ground in a cot. The air under you will cool you off in no time and this would create a life threatening situation. If you don't have a sleeping mat, bring a spare wool or natural fiber blanket to use as a ground pad under your sleeping bag. The sleeping mat is worth it's weight in gold.

I've been winter camping in sub zero temperatures in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana numerous times over the last 25 years, and you can have a great time but you need to prepare for it.

One other thing, if you are dead set on trying the hot rock thing, don't get your rocks from anywhere near a creek. A lot of times when you collect these types of rocks they are full of frozen moisture. I have seen them go off like little bombs when placed in the campfire for heating. I also keep a **** bottle with a lid in my tent in the winter time, that way I don't have to get clear out of my warm sleeping bag and go out side to pee.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom