• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    What is everyone recommending? I found another thread but it was about cold weather gloves in general, like mittens and such. What’s something that gives decent dexterity for shooting? I have PIG cold weather gloves and they do fine until it hits the mid-20s.

Anything better out there?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've been using Mechanix at work for years, and while they allow great dexterity they don't do much for warmth besides keep the wind off. I recently found these insulated versions, and have been reasonably happy with them. They're definitely warmer than the regular Mechanix gloves, while still providing acceptable dexterity. I've worn them some at work and they've kept me decently warm, although it hasn't really gotten below the low 20s and I haven't had to stand out in it from more than 30-45 minutes at a time yet.

I actually just got done shooting with them this morning. They allowed enough dexterity to load mags (barely), and my shooting wasn't inhibited much. I dropped 2-3 points and was about a second slower on the 10-yard Test drill compared to shooting without gloves...the biggest factor was getting my gloved finger into the trigger guard. Once it was in there trigger manipulation was no problem.

I like the version in the link because they're elastic and slip on and off quickly. I think you can also get the traditional kind with the Velcro if you prefer.

Amazon product ASIN B08HSNW9B8

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It's a balance between temp, wind, and dexterity. Unfortunately, pistols are pretty hard to shoot well, quickly, in really bad conditions, even if you are "tough enough"...you can only shoot as well as you can feel the trigger.

In cool weather--say, no-wind 20F, or 30s if breezy--golf gloves, mechanic gloves, "tactical gloves", or my favorite, simple military wool liners, are warm enough, and offer decent dexterity.

In "real" cold, and below zero windchills, you need a hardshell, insulated glove.

The milsurp trigger-finger glommits are okay, but NICER ones are made by Outdoor Research. I think KUIU makes one also.

Wear some light, cell-phone compatible liners, also. NEVER take the liners off unless you absolutely have to, as you really lose a lot of heat in a very short time, and it takes forever to rebuild that warmth and dexterity.

And, as usual, the best way to keep your fingers and toes warm is to keep your chest warm:

Put on a hat.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I wear mechanics gloves, even in the warmer temperatures so my fingers don’t get residue all over them. Ever notice how sticky your hands get after shooting a few mags? I hate that!

I may have to look into some cold weather stuff though, thanks for the tips.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Well I've been looking for some heated gloves liners for my Raynaud's syndrome and these look promising on Amazon.
    They are thin enough that you can wear other gloves over them.
    They run $80.00. If you really want to buy gloves, be sure you measure carefully.
    Measure your open hand around the knuckles but do not include the thumb.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I use these tig welding gloves. Revco T50 Tigster® Premium TIG Welding Gloves

I've worn mig gauntlets running saws, but dexterity is too crap for me to want to shoot in them.

Maybe those TIG gloves are better on fingertip feel.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    These new gloves came today and I followed the instructions and plugged them in for charging the batteries.
    They charged up in just 2 hours but the instructions said to add an additional 1/2 hour for the first charge so I did.

I ordered the proper size according to the instructions and they do fit but they're very snug but they're also extra large and I don't think you can get them any bigger. Anyway the gloves are very stiff and are not conducive for using the trigger finger, you would have to take the glove off to do that. They very well may limber up after use but they'd be fine to use on a snowmobile or snowblower or any really cold outdoor activity. They do warm up toasty warm I'll say that.

They have three settings, low, medium and high so they are adjustable for the heat range required.
    I was hoping that they would be lighter thinner with more dexterity but it is what it is.
    I'll have to continue to use them for a while and see whether they get more limber.

ISO400

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2024
    South Bend
    What is everyone recommending? I found another thread but it was about cold weather gloves in general, like mittens and such. What’s something that gives decent dexterity for shooting? I have PIG cold weather gloves and they do fine until it hits the mid-20s.

Anything better out there?
    This might sound odd but I always wear a surgical gloves as a inner layer than obtain the heat, then just wear my summer shooting gloves on the outside. the winter gloves i bought were almost all too bulky to do anything,

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Years back Under Armour liners were the craze for a decently warm glove with a lot of dexterity. I still have a couple of pairs around in a coat pocket somewhere.

I can attest they work decently for trigger pulling, but the downside is they are pliable enough to get caught if not careful. Better to practice ahead of throwing these on for EDC. It's problematic to get your glove caught in the magwell or the slide after normal manipulations.

1704682961513.png

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I've used military liners with one size bigger than snug surgical gloves under them and they work great for shooting, working, playing in temps as low as 20°. I've also used the winter golf gloves with surgical gloves and had good results but they didn't last very long but in their defense I didn't use them for just shooting.

The surgical gloves first then whatever gloves on top works, just make sure they're loose. If they're tight they don't help much. :twocents:

Top Bottom