• ...and so much more!
  • goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    INGO's own, Murph, awoke recently to a drunk passed out on her couch. He left a brown trail out the door and down the hall when she got out her Mossy 12 Ga. Murph, you got anything to add? :D

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    The story said this happens at least 10-15 times a year?
    Really!
    If this is the case they are probably lucky more people aren't getting shot!:twocents:

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    A felony sticks with you, I say a felony thats reduced after
    completion of all obligations.

Includeing some alcohol classes.

Jimmy

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

About eight (8) years ago I took a vacation backpacking through Europe. At first I was amazed and a little taken aback when I saw 13 and 14 year old kids drinking a beer like our kids would drink Pepsi or Coke.

Then I realized I was having an "American Kneejerk" reaction. I had several of those in Europe.:rolleyes: What I continued to observe through a bit more objective eyes was that their kids weren't acting like buttheads, like American kids would.

I think there is a real topic of discussion regarding drinking in the USA. Over there alcohol is no big deal but the Europeans push responsible drinking much more than we do. This is one area I think the Europeans should laugh at us.

A few years ago a multitude of college presidents pushed for lowered drinking ages from 21 to 18. Their contention was that these kids are denied drinking all of their lives and as soon as they hit campus, "BOOM!" Down go the shots and the beer gets guzzled. Naturally, puritanical America had that "American kneejerk" reaction and the college presidents were quickly shown our cultural indignation at such a thought.

I remember one time when neighbors two houses away had a drunk guy pounding on their front door at godawful AM demanding to be let in to go to bed. They were terrified. They didn't have a gun but it made the wife think about it.

This girl seems very nice and is probably a very good person. I would say that she did choose to imbibe too much and should suffer consequences for her actions. However, a felony charge after being shot does seem a bit excessive. Why not a misdemeanor charge with a few hundred hours of community service speaking on the dangers of drinking too much?

Of course, we here in the public are only seeing one (1) side of the story. Perhaps the DA did approach them about some sort of plea deal and they got snotty. So, fine, we go with the big guns. Maybe (?) it is an election year and the locals have been ticked about other issues with the college and he/she wants to take a stand "against out of control college hooligans." Naturally I must be wrong because politics would never enter into a prosecution.

All in all, I wish the best for the people whose home was broken into, the girl who suffered from a massive stupid attack, and all of their families.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    A few years ago a drunk guy tried to get into my front door. It was locked but he was trying the knob and yelling "let me in". I kept saying through the locked door "you don't live here!" I didn't know who he was and he didn't know I had .45 caliber revolver in my hand. Had he forced the door and got in they might have been carrying him out in a body bag, because we felt threatened by his insistence to get in, and he was a burly guy. Fortunately, I didn't have to make that choice and he finally wondered off. Turns out he was an alcoholic who lived with some people a few doors down and was, I learned later, harmless. He died a while later from his alcoholism.

This situation while frightening to the couple I feel is different. This girl was drunk and in their house but there doesn't seem to be any evidence she was being violent, abusive or otherwise threatening. I personally think in this case that shooting here was a bad choice. If they had let her pass out on the bed and called the cops everyone would have been a lot better off. Gun responsibility means knowing when NOT to shoot too. A right to is not an excuse to.

So having faced a related although not identical situation I feel for the home owners but this girl did not seem to be a threat. I would not have shot her without some evidence of an immediate threat. That's my .02.

Also---keep your doors locked!!!!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I lived in Bloomington, IN near IU in the late 70's. The stupidity that ran wild there involving booze was unbelieveable. If the DA at the time had shown any mercy it would have been all out mayham. I don't feel sorry for this girl, she made her choices, time to pay up.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

It all seemed to work well with one exception. The police took him home to sleep it off. They should have taken him to 'their place' to sleep it off and then spend a few sober hours in orange while being afforded time to reconsider whether getting s**tfaced drunk and trying to knock doors in is really such a good idea. I don't see a need for punishment beyond restitution, but he really did need an incentive to think about things.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    ...Colorados law is called "Make my day"? Yeah, that sends a good light on the aspect don't it? :n00b:

I agree. I brought this up on another forum where this is being discussed. They law is not called the make my day law. I have no idea why gun owners adopted that phrase. I wish they hadn't.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This girl was drunk and in their house but there doesn't seem to be any evidence she was being violent, abusive or otherwise threatening. I personally think in this case that shooting here was a bad choice. If they had let her pass out on the bed and called the cops everyone would have been a lot better off. Gun responsibility means knowing when NOT to shoot too. A right to is not an excuse to.

I agree. It seems like two people ought to be able to overpower a drunk, cute college student. Guns are for fun and for protection. When fear takes over, you start making the wrong decisions, overreacting, applying excessive force, etc. We train for combat not to use those skills at the drop of a hat, but so that we have the courage to use those skills appropriately and decisively. They shot her in the hip. What in the world is that? Either they are really bad shots, or they know it's not a lethal confrontation, so they are not shooting to stop the adversary.

Note that the girl walked into a multimillion dollar home. Maybe that's why charges are being pressed. Gotta protect rich people who are too stupid to lock their doors, and too afraid to take a bit of risk.

By the way, from the subject line I was expecting to read about a photo collage that was shot by a student while trespassing.

Well, I definitely won't shoot this girl if she comes into my bedroom.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, we weren't there. A "cute" college student can be a load of trouble.
    You might "overpower" her, then stand back with a knife stuck in your chest, find out she's insane and off her meds.
    Friend of mine in the navy stopped his car to help a "cute" girl. Her "not so cute" male friend came up behind him with a baseball bat.
    Not saying if I agree with what happened or not.
    I wasn't there.
    Reading about something is not even close to having it happen to you.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I agree. It seems like two people ought to be able to overpower a drunk, cute college student. Guns are for fun and for protection. When fear takes over, you start making the wrong decisions, overreacting, applying excessive force, etc. We train for combat not to use those skills at the drop of a hat, but so that we have the courage to use those skills appropriately and decisively. They shot her in the hip. What in the world is that? Either they are really bad shots, or they know it's not a lethal confrontation, so they are not shooting to stop the adversary.

Note that the girl walked into a multimillion dollar home. Maybe that's why charges are being pressed. Gotta protect rich people who are too stupid to lock their doors, and too afraid to take a bit of risk.

By the way, from the subject line I was expecting to read about a photo collage that was shot by a student while trespassing.

Where's negative rep when you need it. WOW!

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    It all seemed to work well with one exception. The police took him home to sleep it off. They should have taken him to 'their place' to sleep it off and then spend a few sober hours in orange while being afforded time to reconsider whether getting s**tfaced drunk and trying to knock doors in is really such a good idea. I don't see a need for punishment beyond restitution, but he really did need an incentive to think about things.

you'd be surprised how often this happens, ive heard many stories of police officers letting people sleep it off for 8 hours in a cell then letting them go home with no charges being filed or anything, happens primarily on Native American Reservations, had to watch a documentary on it a while back for a class, its really quite sad

andrew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Where the fur traders sang

Way to take the side of the criminal in this case. Im assuming that the "gotta protect rich people" comment was sarcastic, but it is exactly what needs to be done!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Well, we weren't there. A "cute" college student can be a load of trouble.
    You might "overpower" her, then stand back with a knife stuck in your chest, find out she's insane and off her meds.
    Friend of mine in the navy stopped his car to help a "cute" girl. Her "not so cute" male friend came up behind him with a baseball bat.

You size up the situation and make the best decision, as ever. Wickedness can befall you at every turn, but that doesn't mean you should assume everything is out to harm you. You have judgement. Sometimes you mess up, and you have to fight your way out. Sometimes you don't. I hope your friend will be more cautious next time he stops to help a stranded driver (no matter how cute, how ugly, or how male they are). But I hope he won't stop helping people in need. We can't live our lives as cowards, and there is a price to be paid for that.

In the mean time, get more fighting skills. That's what they allow you to do: take on riskier situations and be safer. I take it that you don't know how to take someone down safely so he/she won't be able to sink a knife in your chest. There are people who can teach you to do that.

Top Bottom