images

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Lest we forget, while it doesn't happen that often, this is still earthquake country. There are prefabbed bomb-shelters still available; some of them are modular to fit to the size needed. Basically, all you need is a suitably-sized plot of land and a backhoe...

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    Lest we forget, while it doesn't happen that often, this is still earthquake country. There are prefabbed bomb-shelters still available; some of them are modular to fit to the size needed. Basically, all you need is a suitably-sized plot of land and a backhoe...

I have both LOL:ingo:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

i can rent the backhoe, but im lacking in the land department :(

trying to find some cheap, that I could hunt, camp, and shoot on. easier said than done.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    i can rent the backhoe, but im lacking in the land department :(

trying to find some cheap, that I could hunt, camp, and shoot on. easier said than done.

Same boat. We're looking to move, but still about a year out, money wise. There are definitely some deals out there.

Buying 3 or 4 large shipping containers isn're really cost prohibitive and that's probably the way I'd go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    that bunker wouldn't work well around me, it'd be about 100' under water....

I wouldn't quite be that deep underwater if I had one here...but maybe I'll just build my bunker above ground, cover it with dirt and if the neighbors ask, I'll say "Shhhh...it's an ancient Indian burial mound" :)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Same boat. We're looking to move, but still about a year out, money wise. There are definitely some deals out there.

Buying 3 or 4 large shipping containers isn're really cost prohibitive and that's probably the way I'd go.
    For a bunker? You do know that a shipping container isn't strong enough to be buried without additional support structure don't you?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    yeah, you would have to reinforce them, but it would still be cheaper than buying one pre-made the same size.
    If you have the time, knowledge, and resources to reinforce one enough to bury then certainly you also have the time, knowledge and resources to buy a large culvert and add a hatch and end-caps to it saving you a lot of money. ;)

I guess my take on it is this, why not start from the ground up with something that is meant to be buried and then modify it to your liking? That would be opposed to taking something that isn't designed, nor fit for the purpose you intend to use it and then modify it to work for that purpose.

Top Bottom