• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeMumz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    if i buy a ar pistol am i able to put a collapsable stock on it instead of the buffer tube or is the reciever different? thanks

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Not legally. Then it becomes a 'short barreled rifle', and has to be registered per NFA requirements.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ok, lets run through the 'rules'.

1) Once a rifle, always a rifle.

2) A pistol can be made into a rifle by adding a stock:
    a) if the pistol barrel length is 16" or more, you're good to go, add a stock.
    b) if the pistol barrel length is less than 16", then you're about to build an SBR (short barreled rifle) and you will need to get an approved Form 1 due to NFA requirements.

3) back to rule one, if you have a rifle you can not turn it into a pistol.

Collapsible stocks on rifles are fine. Nothing illegal about that in Indiana.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    There is no legal way to put a stock OF ANY KIND on a pistol without making it an NFA item.

You may put any kind of stock you like on a rifle.

CLOSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I've gotten a couple PMs asking me why I didn't clarify my response so here's an addition:

If you have a "handgun" with a 16+" barrel, you can put a stock on it, but then it no longer meets the definition of "handgun" and has become a rifle, even if that change is temporary. I am assuming here (yes I know what happens there) that the OP was asking about a AR pistol with a barrel shorter than 16". If that is the case, don't put a stock on it unless you want to go to prison.

I don't see what else there is to talk about, but I'll re-open this for posterity.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    There is no legal way to put a stock OF ANY KIND on a pistol without making it an NFA item.

You may put any kind of stock you like on a rifle.

CLOSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see what else there is to talk about, but I'll re-open this for posterity.

It's reopened because you are
    WRONG! :D
    in a couple cases. (Shouldn't have said "OF ANY KIND")

Thompson Center took their Contender Pistol/Carbine all the way to the SCOTUS and won. Most NFA experts agree that this is a limited ruling that only applies to Contenders and they have to have thier 16" barrel on with the stock, but can go back to pistol:
    United States v. Thompson-Center Arms Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also the stocked Mauser broomhandles and Hi-Powers that are exempt.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Beretta Neos is another one of those constitutional weapons. You can take the pistol, remove the 6 inch barrel (or one of the other two factory pistol barrels) and install a 16 inch barrel with the turn of a thumb wheel, you can then install a carbine buttstock on it converting it into a standard length carbine. As long as you don't have the pistol barrel on it while the Carbine stock is on it, you do not need a tax stamp.

Don't ask me how Beretta got away with you being allowed to have a pistol barrel, carbine barrel, Carbine buttstock, pistol grip and receiver all in one box, but they did.

Oh wait, it is this thing called the constitution. Something about "shall not be infringed". Also a lot of warnings in the owners manual!

Top Bottom