• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    For all my fellow college students, this is something in which I would strongly encourage you to consider participating. If you are a college professor, administrator, staff, any other employee whose job puts you on a college campus, or any person who ever goes, may go, or would go to a college campus, then you are also welcome and encouraged to participate.

Description
    In defense of self-defense on campus, college students across the nation will strap on empty holsters in an act of silent protest against state laws and college policies that disarm law-abiding citizens and effectively create defense-free zones for criminals.

This nationwide silent protest is being organized by Students for Concealed Carry on Campus [ConcealedCampus.com]. You can indicate your plans to attend the protest as well as get updates and details as they are made available on the Facebook page for the event [click here].

Let's not miss out on a great opportunity to educate our educators, administrators, and legislators that we want to be able to protect ourselves even while we're on campus just as we do everywhere else! If you aren't going to be on a college campus, pass this along to any friends, family, or neighbors whom it may affect more directly.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Class

I have class at ISU that night. I am in.

Should make for quite a debate in class with all the bleeding hearts.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have been considering doing something similar. I have a .44 1858 with an 8 inch barrel. The holster is pretty noticeable even if I am wearing a jacket or a long sweat shirt. I have been thinking of carrying my cell phone in it just to see what kind of a reaction I will get. With a jacket on people have no idea that I am not carrying a firearm.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I'm in. Thanks so much for posting this here. I expect to have the police called---a few months prior at Ivy Tech the police were called when a student a few rooms down had an empty holster. We'll see what happens.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I'm in. Thanks so much for posting this here. I expect to have the police called---a few months prior at Ivy Tech the police were called when a student a few rooms down had an empty holster. We'll see what happens.
    Why would the police even respond to such a call? I could call the police and tell them that I saw a guy walking down the street, but unless that I alleged that he was breaking some law I don't think they would come out, would they?

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Delmar, that's what I thought! My professor at the time of the incident is an active LEO (Sergeant with the county police) and he was under the exact same impression. No law was broken, and as far as I know, there is no rule against carrying an empty holster. I could do more damage with a pair of scissors. For whatever reason, the city police showed up. Ddenny5---to answer your questions---I don't know how pro-2A ISU is. As far as carrying anyway, let me paint you a brief picture. At the Valparaiso campus of Ivy Tech: the doors do not lock from the inside. The windows do not open. The phone in the classroom requires a professor's access code to activate (same with the computer). In ~90% of the rooms I have been in, there is no cell-phone reception. None. When the door opens there is a clear line-of-sight to every individual in the classroom. The "security" team is nothing more than overweight older men, a man who does not speak English, and a younger woman who can barely string 3 words together (intelligently). It's a security nightmare. I proudly and discretely exercise my right to defend myself when on campus. :rules: be damned. Luckily, my professors in charge of my field of study are all active and retired LEOs and they have indicated that they have no problem with educated and trained students carrying on campus.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    ISU

I am taking classes online at ISU. How gun friendly is the campus? Do you know of any students that carry anyway?

The campus is not gun friendly at all. I have had a rather spirited conversation with a campus police officer a couple of years back. She was explain how she would confiscate a pocket knife from me if she saw it clipped on my pocket. After explaining that I would not turn it over she explained that she would use force to take it. We had to just agree to disagree at that point.

I am sure that some students carry despite the rules but I could not name and names even if I wanted to do so.

I have heard gunfire nearby more than once walking to the truck after class.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Good idea. I always carried concealed when I attended college but it would be nice if students and professors were more informed about the realities and advantages of carrying a firearm.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Might be wise for those who CC on campus to choose not to carry whilst participating in the empty holster protest, just saying...

beclende

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    West of town
    Best of luck to those who are participating.....I'm sure it will make for a lively day! I just hope fellow students and professors see this for what it is and are open to the education. Wish something like this was organized when I was at IU.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I will be participating at PUC and Ivy Tech Gary on that Friday. I will be borrowing my wife's Galco paddle holster as my uncle mikes IWB would never be noticed.
    Maybe I can be arrested

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We have a 2nd Amendment group at the law school, but I've not been able to be active. I work at IUB and attend law school at IU-Indy, so I will participate. I can only imagine what looks I'll get in Bloomington.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom